Sugar and Cancer

Options
vm007
vm007 Posts: 241 Member
Hi,

Opportunity for me to learn more from you all.

I was watching a documentary on Amazon called "Magic pill" which promotes ketogenic diet. As it went on, a woman came on and talked about how she killed her Cancer by doing ketogenic diet and was recommending that everyone can do so by eating keto diet.

Now since I have zero knowledge about this line of work and for me, I use CICO and when I'm feeling fancy I make sure my protein and fiber levels are good.

So what's up with this? They also talked about "flawed" model known as "energy in and energy out".

I understand that some like specific diets but when did CICO become irrelevant when it came to weight loss? I understand CICO needs to be adjusted for nutrition as in if you eat only Carbs it'll be bad because you won't meet your nutrition requirement but for weight loss and gain, why do they keep harping on about this being wrong? Do they know something I don't?

Thanks in advance. I'm here to learn so if I'm wrong I'd be happy to learn but for me CICO has worked wonderfully.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Low sugar diets can help with treating some cancers such as brain cancer and some others. There are some cancers that use fats as a fuel very well, and although those are not a majority, you would want to know your cancer before adjusting your diet to treat it. It can also be complementary to more common cancer treatments such as radiation and chemo, and helps reduce cancer cachexia.

It is thought that limiting or avoiding refined carbohydrates may help with cancer prevention but that is not well researched or proven.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3267662/

About all they have shown so far is that the low fat diet of yesteryear does not seem to help prevent CVD or cancer, at least in the types that they looked at.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2006/02/09/low-fat-diet-not-a-cure-all-womens-health-initiative/

What *aggravates* me are the people, or groups or documentaries who try to push cancer patients away from "big pharma" to a "one twue way" natural approach to treatment because big pharma just wants to keep them sick, keep them chronically ill, knows that natural remedies work but would never admit that. I see it so often and I heard it so much when I was ill. Eat a plant based diet, it will cure you. Take high doses of vitamin C, it will cure you. Drink mangosteen juice, it will cure you. DON'T use chemo, it's just poison.

I have no problem with your studies listed. I have no problem if an oncologist suggests, or if a cancer patient on their own decides they want to do a diet in conjuction with treatment. My problem (and I did not watch the documentary, I can only go by what the OP stated) is that in this documentary some person comes out and claims their cancer is cured by a way of eating without any medical treatment. To that I say....show me medical records or it didn't happen. Or that person was misdiagnosed and never had cancer to begin with.

I agree. I doubt there are many nutritional therapies that cure cancer outright, if any.

I do see more possibilities in prevention and nutrition. That seems hopeful.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Low sugar diets can help with treating some cancers such as brain cancer and some others. There are some cancers that use fats as a fuel very well, and although those are not a majority, you would want to know your cancer before adjusting your diet to treat it. It can also be complementary to more common cancer treatments such as radiation and chemo, and helps reduce cancer cachexia.

It is thought that limiting or avoiding refined carbohydrates may help with cancer prevention but that is not well researched or proven.

About all they have shown so far is that the low fat diet of yesteryear does not seem to help prevent CVD or cancer, at least in the types that they looked at.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2006/02/09/low-fat-diet-not-a-cure-all-womens-health-initiative/

What *aggravates* me are the people, or groups or documentaries who try to push cancer patients away from "big pharma" to a "one twue way" natural approach to treatment because big pharma just wants to keep them sick, keep them chronically ill, knows that natural remedies work but would never admit that. I see it so often and I heard it so much when I was ill. Eat a plant based diet, it will cure you. Take high doses of vitamin C, it will cure you. Drink mangosteen juice, it will cure you. DON'T use chemo, it's just poison.

I have no problem with your studies listed. I have no problem if an oncologist suggests, or if a cancer patient on their own decides they want to do a diet in conjuction with treatment. My problem (and I did not watch the documentary, I can only go by what the OP stated) is that in this documentary some person comes out and claims their cancer is cured by a way of eating without any medical treatment. To that I say....show me medical records or it didn't happen. Or that person was misdiagnosed and never had cancer to begin with.

I agree. I doubt there are many nutritional therapies that cure cancer outright, if any.

I 100% agree.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options

^^ I agree. I'm no health expert, but the work of Dr Valter Longo of USC is very interesting to me. His studies on aging, nutrition and disease among various long lived populations led him to propose a largely vegan & fish based diet, that when supplemented with periodic fasting (twice annually) seems to reduce risks for various diseases, including cancer.

Weight loss and weight management are only one facet of his suggested approach to healthy longevity. His clinical studies of mice that showed how fasting for several days prior to and during chemotherapy provided dramatic improvements in treatment effectiveness and survival rates were fascinating to me.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    I know a couple of people w/ cancer who ate a ketogenic diet in addition to their chemo and it didn't help. Not only did their cancer recur or progress, but when they lost a ton of weight they didn't seem to have the energy to handle their chemo as well as others.