What was your finish line mindset?

Options
i come here because you guys have made it - and walk the walk.

As you approached your last 5 or ten pounds... what was your thought process on seeing your goal through to the end and beyond?

I'm nearing my goal of losing 40 pounds. i have the last five or 6 to go. i'm at the point where i'm telling myself to just finish ..do it! I'm trying to pretend i'm back in the beginning when i was so determined and driven ..just trying to keep my head in the game and not fall back into the old ..i lost enough weight..gee i look good enough.. then ..gaining it back patterns.

Replies

• itisidaisy
    itisidaisy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    My experience was a bit different because I was not focused on reaching a scale weight. I went by how I looked and felt when I decided to switch to maintenance.

I lost a significant amount of weight so I knew it was going to take time to get my body the way I wanted and tighten up. It took me 2 years of maintenance to get to where I wanted and 4 years to get a flat lower belly.

My thought process was to keep doing what I did to lose the weight, eat a bit more and increase my strength-training workouts.

I never saw an end game. I knew if I wanted to stay looking the way I look that I will have to keep putting in work everyday.

I'm in my 5th year of maintaining and I still look at each day as a new day to improve or work towards something new. Also I'm constantly trying new workouts and activities and new foods/ingredients. This helps me to keep from getting bored and complacent as well.

How did you lose the belly fat? I’m so close to my weight loss goal. My goal was originally 120 pounds and I’m 122 pounds right now, but I still have some belly fat. I figured maybe I should lose a few more pounds then focus on heavy strength training, but maybe I’m wrong. I don’t know...

• RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    itisidaisy wrote: »
    My experience was a bit different because I was not focused on reaching a scale weight. I went by how I looked and felt when I decided to switch to maintenance.

I lost a significant amount of weight so I knew it was going to take time to get my body the way I wanted and tighten up. It took me 2 years of maintenance to get to where I wanted and 4 years to get a flat lower belly.

My thought process was to keep doing what I did to lose the weight, eat a bit more and increase my strength-training workouts.

I never saw an end game. I knew if I wanted to stay looking the way I look that I will have to keep putting in work everyday.

I'm in my 5th year of maintaining and I still look at each day as a new day to improve or work towards something new. Also I'm constantly trying new workouts and activities and new foods/ingredients. This helps me to keep from getting bored and complacent as well.

How did you lose the belly fat? I’m so close to my weight loss goal. My goal was originally 120 pounds and I’m 122 pounds right now, but I still have some belly fat. I figured maybe I should lose a few more pounds then focus on heavy strength training, but maybe I’m wrong. I don’t know...

You have the same goal as me i.e to lose the last amount of belly fat.
    Either you can go about it 3 ways
    1) lose weight, (this works of you have spare pounds to lose, but if you are pear shaped like me it would make my ribcage too boney so options two or three make more sense)
    2) Gain-cut cycle, basically building up muscle through a designed strength training/lifting program then cutting after a period of time
    3) Recomposition, Goal is to maintain weight while building muscle. Much slower than Gain-cut cycle! Best results will be from doing a strength/lifting program. Positives for this is you don't have to gain weight which can be mentally difficult after losing weight.

I'm doing a even slower version of recomposition by doing a mixture of strength toning exercise classes and cardio. But it works! I've already seen a some more muscle in my arms/shoulders !
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I picked the point in the last 20 years where I felt best. For me, that point happens to be squarely in the middle of overweight, but I'm ok with that. I'm about 10 lbs from there, and I've been sneaking up on it for about the last year. Creeping in on it, Hitting an NSV and easing back... then grinding in on it again. I'll probably overshoot by 5-10 lbs before I settle in. Then I'll give maintenance a go for a while. At which point I may set a new goal, or I may decide I'm actually happy at my first goal.

But I picked the goal by looking at performance, fitness and overall perceived wellbeing.
  • invitedchaos
    invitedchaos Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm within 5lbs of my goal, and I think I set it initially to see how difficult it would be to lose 20 lbs and then go lower from there. But I've had pretty good success (down 16lbs in 3 months!), and when I look at myself in the mirror I like what I see, and in general I like how I feel, and I'm eating well and enjoying my healthy food, so I'm starting to wonder if I need to push myself to go lower. I haven't been working out as much lately (busy, crappy weather, depression), but I've been keeping to my diet and pretty much maintaining, so as summer rolls in and I get more active outdoors (and drink more summer beers, yum), I think if I stay within the 5lb range I'll be in a good place. If I'm depriving myself or worrying about a (basically) arbitrary number, to me that's not a mark of success, no matter what the scale says.

Congrats on approaching the 40lb mark, OP!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    itisidaisy wrote: »

Honestly it's my genetics. After I lost the weight my skin there was mainly deflated after losing so many inches and being overweight for so long.

I did an unintentional recomp which I believe helped. I didn't do any targeted ab work either, but over time...a lot of time things slowly tighten up.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I got to the last 10lbs from my goal then decided I'd like to increase my calories (from 1300 to 1600) and hit the gym. At this point, I think putting on a bit of muscle and losing weight slower will be a better transition for me and make me look better. I was getting sick of feeling hungry.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    As a long time maintainer, I think of maintenance as regaining/relosing the last 5 pounds repeatedly. So if you are 5 pounds from goal, very likely you are in your maintenance range now. Good job, OP! When I slack off, my weight creeps up, never down. When at the upper end of the range, my mindset is to buckle down for 10 weeks. When I reach the lower end, it’s to stay mindful but not obsessive.

Some people have seasonal weight patterns. This is kind of true for me. Texas summers are soul crushingly hot. Not much a girl can do but shake up a margarita. Seriously, though, I tend to slack on exercise intensity and drink a lot more margaritas in summer. I don’t gain every summer, but it’s approaching a seasonal pattern for me. Accordingly, part of my mindset is I don’t want to start summer at the top of my range (and have that higher weight become my “new normal “).

Thank you for this, you put my thoughts into words. Maintenance has been more difficult than I imagined, mainly because I'm not as focused. "Mindful but not obsessive" will become my new mantra.