Elliptical machine riding backwards

Options
While using the elliptical machine I’ve noticed that when goin* forward I feel a tingling in my leg and foot but when I go backwards I don’t have any tingling going down my leg or foot. Anyone have a reason why this might be happening?

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    When you go backwards you are using different muscles. I'm not sure why you have tingling though. I usually lose some feeling in my feet if I'm on the elliptical for more than 30 min at a time.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I feel like...you should not have tingling at all. Does it last your who workout?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I feel like...you should not have tingling at all. Does it last your who workout?

It's not uncommon. It has to do with how/where your feet rest and the "shape" of your stride.

I get it sometimes, and sometimes not. Shoes have an impact, but aren't the only culprit. It's mostly just an annoyance/learning opportunity.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

It's not uncommon. It has to do with how/where your feet rest and the "shape" of your stride.

I get it sometimes, and sometimes not. Shoes have an impact, but aren't the only culprit. It's mostly just an annoyance/learning opportunity.

Word. I have back problems sometimes so any "tingling" feeling that isn't caused by beta alanine I am curious of.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Word. I have back problems sometimes so any "tingling" feeling that isn't caused by beta alanine I am curious of.

If it's "normal" elliptical tingling, it goes away after 2-3 steps off the elliptical.
  • 63hanson
    63hanson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. It sometimes stops if I change where I put pressure on my feet. Always goes away as soon as I'm done.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Grnhouse wrote: »
    While using the elliptical machine I’ve noticed that when goin* forward I feel a tingling in my leg and foot but when I go backwards I don’t have any tingling going down my leg or foot.

Where on your leg do you feel it?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I always do about half frontwards and half backwards on the elliptical so I work more muscles and it's "easier" on my body overall. I switch directions every few minutes. It's more interesting that way too.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    No not usually. On and off.
  • Grnhouse
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    While using the elliptical machine I’ve noticed that when goin* forward I feel a tingling in my leg and foot but when I go backwards I don’t have any tingling going down my leg or foot.

Where on your leg do you feel it?

I feel it on the top and side, sometimes the bottom.
  • Cherimoose
    Options

A pinched spinal nerve can do that (Sciatica). Try keeping your abs contracted tighter. Post an update. :+1:
  • Grnhouse
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

A pinched spinal nerve can do that (Sciatica). Try keeping your abs contracted tighter. Post an update. :+1:

Thanks @Cherimoose. I will do that. And you are right. I’ve been struggling with a pinched nerve in lumbar low back. Any recommendations accepted for getting rid of it without quitting my workout?
  • Cherimoose
    Options
    Thanks @Cherimoose. I will do that. And you are right. I’ve been struggling with a pinched nerve in lumbar low back. Any recommendations accepted for getting rid of it without quitting my workout?

A physical therapist or doctor is the best person for specific advice.. but generally speaking, contracting your abs all throughout the workout is the best thing, because it supports your back.
    If you sit a lot during the day, stretching your hip flexors before working out may help improve things. :+1: