Options
124»

Replies

• liftforjoy43
    liftforjoy43 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    mochapygmy wrote: »
    I would run only 3x a week but don't increase your distance to "make up" for not running the other 2 days.

I would increase calories 100 to 200 calories per day.

How much fat are you getting daily? Did your Doctor talk to you about fat affecting hormones?

Does 4 times a week for about an hour, maybe more sound excessive? And I have no idea about the exact amount but I do eat alot of almonds, peanut/almond butter, walnuts/pecans,chia seeds, eggs so I think I may take in a good amount? They didn't mention too much about it but that it could help to increase it

I run about 4-5 hours a week plus whatever other stuff I feel like doing - hiking, mountain biking, strength training, or whatever else on the days I don't run. But I'm always doing something every day. I'm in my 40's and have been doing this for decades. I've never been underweight or overweight, have always had regular periods, and no major injuries or health issues. My BMI is 21. But I make sure I rest when I need it, and I always eat enough to maintain my health. You can run long distance and gain weight. I gained weight while training for a marathon one year. You just have to increase calories beyond what you burn.

It sounds like you are overtraining and undereating. That's a risky combination. You need to eat enough to properly fuel and repair your body, otherwise, your body starts cutting "less necessary" things (like reproductive processes) to cover your deficits and take care of essential things (like brain function, heart, etc.). When you lose your period, you know your body is under stress! It's a warning sign that your body might start cutting important things next...

4 times a week for an hour sounds like a good plan to me, especially since you are used to doing a lot more than that. That may sound like a lot to people who aren't used to it, but it WILL be a significant reduction for you. That gives you some time off, but isn't as severe as those suggesting you switch to 30 minute runs a few times a week. To me, and probably some other long-distance runners, that just sounds depressing. If I only ran for 30 minutes, I would literally feel like I'd just warmed up - like I'd done almost nothing. I'm not kidding. Several years ago I had to take a break from running for a month or two due to an injury and my mood tanked big time. You want to keep doing the thing you love, but you need to be smart about it, and cut back when your body sends you the signals. If you don't cut back now, you might have to stop altogether later, and that's a bummer.

I might just be a crazed exercise junkie chasing that runner's high, but I'm healthy and smart about it, and my doctor actually prescribes it to treat anxiety. I'm supposed to be active every day, most days vigorously so. So I'm going to do that for as long as it works for me. (And it really works for me.) But if it's not working for you, and it sounds like it's not working using your current methodology, you need to revise your routine. When exercise is a big part of your life, you'll miss it dearly when you can't do it, so don't restrict it too severely. I'd focus on weight gain and nutrition (get that BMI up and your periods should come back) and also try to reduce exercise (because burning fewer calories will help with weight gain), but maybe only by half at first - I know I'd struggle if I went from 50 miles a week down to 5. I'd go nuts. But I could drop from 50 to 25 easily, and that would be real progress. You could even reduce further after you get used to doing less and it feels OK, or leave it at that if your health improves.

Whatever you decide, "run" it by your doctor. If they weren't specific, maybe you can say, "hey, I've been running 50 miles a week. Would going down to 25 be OK, or should I reduce further?" Because all this advice in this thread is just different people's opinions. We don't really know what your doctor has in mind. :)

Thanks for the advice :) I'm glad you understand how hard it is for someone who runs long distance to cut back drastically. I am still cutting back so I can gain weight though and increasing my intake each week/day as suggested. My health is very important to me so even though in my runner mind I don't want to cut back, I know it's for the best.
  • liftforjoy43
    Options
    One more thing for the future so it doesn't catch you by surprise: as you gain weight, running may become harder. Your speed could suffer. Be mentally prepared for that and don't let it affect your determination to reclaim your health. I can't stress enough how serious of a problem being underweight is, even if your labs are good. It affects bone function, heart function, immune system function, and a slew of other issues that could be irreversible if you don't act now.

That's interesting. Why is that? I would of thought the extra food and weight gain would help me run faster because of all the extra energy. Although if it happens, I won't let it get to me. Running will always be there but my health is my main priority.

You may feel better and more energetic, but since your muscles are used to carrying a light body, it would be harder for them to move a heavier body. Think about running with a heavy backpack and how you may need to reduce your speed to maintain a similar effort level to what you're used to. If you try to maintain speed, it would require higher effort. I'm only talking from reverse experience - running became easier as I became lighter. I don't know what will happen in your case, but it's good to be mentally prepared for any case scenario so you're not taken aback if it happens.

I think it depends on how much weight you gain and whether or not it's lean or fat mass. When I incorporated strength training and gained a little lean mass (only a few pounds, not a lot) several years ago, I became more powerful and was able to increase my speed on the trail. But for the most part, when people tend to gain weight, it's true they aren't usually packing on "fitness pounds" - it's usually mostly fat mass - and more mass without the added strength to go with it is definitely harder to carry and can slow you down. I totally agree with that.

But she's working with substandard nutrition now. If she gains in a healthy way, and I would recommend replacing some of that running with strength training along with the surplus calories (with doctor's approval of course), I think getting her weight and BMI into the optimal range should enhance her performance, even though it means she's carrying a heavier load - when properly fueled and trained, she should be strong enough to carry it well.

I definitely want to gain some lean mass. To be honest though, I'm not very fond of strength training because I don't enjoy it as much as running but I'm not opposed to it since i want to gain some lean mass. Problem with that though is that I can't afford a gym membership right now to strength train in :/
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Still curious as to what you wrote @RoxieDawn ?

She basically said you need to take it seriously.

You didn't answer my question about whether you had decreased your running and eaten more since starting this thread @liftforjoy43 ?

Yes I did? I responded back. Haven't you seen it yet?

Sorry, didn't see it as the thread went onto a new page. I think taking a rest week will help, there is no need to give up running altogether, but you need to fuel it properly.

200 cals is a good start but it's unlikely that's even enough to put you at maintenance so you'll need to keep increasing.

Yeah that's true but I am currently increasing. Im actually going to make the jump this week to 300-400+ calories. That most likely will put me at maintenance and hopefully a slight surplus but I will continue increasing after that.

Also did you see my question in the comment you missed in the first page about how weighing less=less calorie burn and weighing more=more calorie burn?

The calculation is accurate for calories burnt.

I know but that still doesn't answer my general question? I'm just sorta curious about it.

Yes the more you weigh the more calories you burn.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    One more thing for the future so it doesn't catch you by surprise: as you gain weight, running may become harder. Your speed could suffer. Be mentally prepared for that and don't let it affect your determination to reclaim your health. I can't stress enough how serious of a problem being underweight is, even if your labs are good. It affects bone function, heart function, immune system function, and a slew of other issues that could be irreversible if you don't act now.

That's interesting. Why is that? I would of thought the extra food and weight gain would help me run faster because of all the extra energy. Although if it happens, I won't let it get to me. Running will always be there but my health is my main priority.

You may feel better and more energetic, but since your muscles are used to carrying a light body, it would be harder for them to move a heavier body. Think about running with a heavy backpack and how you may need to reduce your speed to maintain a similar effort level to what you're used to. If you try to maintain speed, it would require higher effort. I'm only talking from reverse experience - running became easier as I became lighter. I don't know what will happen in your case, but it's good to be mentally prepared for any case scenario so you're not taken aback if it happens.

I think it depends on how much weight you gain and whether or not it's lean or fat mass. When I incorporated strength training and gained a little lean mass (only a few pounds, not a lot) several years ago, I became more powerful and was able to increase my speed on the trail. But for the most part, when people tend to gain weight, it's true they aren't usually packing on "fitness pounds" - it's usually mostly fat mass - and more mass without the added strength to go with it is definitely harder to carry and can slow you down. I totally agree with that.

But she's working with substandard nutrition now. If she gains in a healthy way, and I would recommend replacing some of that running with strength training along with the surplus calories (with doctor's approval of course), I think getting her weight and BMI into the optimal range should enhance her performance, even though it means she's carrying a heavier load - when properly fueled and trained, she should be strong enough to carry it well.

While extra muscle mass, especially in the lower half, is definitely going to make running better, when someone is gaining to normalize body weight, fat gain is not only inevitable, it's desirable. Being too lean can affect period. For underweight people trying to gain weight, the rate of weight gain can outpace muscle gain - more so for women. So at least until muscle gain catches up, it's good to be mentally prepared for changes in performance. Certainly wouldn't hurt.

Just like weight loss, weight gain can play tricks on the mind and some changes can be shocking. The right frame of mind can help resist backsliding.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

I definitely want to gain some lean mass. To be honest though, I'm not very fond of strength training because I don't enjoy it as much as running but I'm not opposed to it since i want to gain some lean mass. Problem with that though is that I can't afford a gym membership right now to strength train in :/

You don't need a gym membership. There are many things you can do at home to rebuild strength/muscle. You can start with body weight. You can look into Fitness Blender or other like in the link below.. take a look at the body weight/beginner programs.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

You stated on previous pages you were/are considering gaining 10 pounds and even more if needed. Being underweight by 10+ pounds tells me you very under weight. Continuing to engage in high impact exercise is going to hinder recovery not help it.

For some women it takes 1-2 years+ and others may get theirs back within 1-2 months with exercise cessation. Which advice is best for you? Nothing we advise here can ever take the place of your doctor's supervision. If your doctor is less than helpful, its time to get another doctor. You should never leave your appointment with unanswered questions and not being completely informed of your treatment plan.

All of this said, are you doing the 'progesterone test' (pills given to you by your doctor)? Although the test may work where you start, but in some cases only to have it stop again. In any regard the outcome of the test should be reported back to your doctor. There are other things to look from an endocrine perspective as well. You might do well contacting a doctor in this field, they treat functional hypothalamic amenorrhea (especially with the female athlete triad) which the primary treatment is weight restoration through nutritional rehabilitation and exercise cessation if needed with slow reintroduction of exercise as weight is restored.

Your bodies response is clearly a major warning sign. I probably don't have to mention the major health risks but things such as your heart health, your heart is a muscle and lean mass as you have lost muscle, osteoporosis (bone health), compromised long term reproductive health, etc etc.. I might entertain the idea again of adding strength training as you increase your calories and assure you are getting ample protein in your diet.

What ever you decide, we exercise to be healthy, be strong and feel better. I love to run as well, so I understand what you are feeling. When we do too many things that end up harming us, then its just too much. Weight restoration should be your primary focus. The end goal is to be and stay at healthy weight and having proper 'energy balance' so that you can train and enjoy running again, ideally in safe and healthy amounts for you! Go back to your doctor and put your recovery into those that are experienced and qualified to give you the best advice to your personal situation.

Good luck and I hope for the best outcome for you as possible.

eta here is a thread you might be interest in, it gives a little insight from other experiences/ perspective and has some links in it to.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/40966166#Comment_40966166
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    i have PCOS i havent ever had a normal perid, for like 5months i had a few periods it was weird and then i havent had one for going on 8 months now lol. I sort of accepted it since im not malnourished or underweight- though admitedly i have been workign more fats into my diet they were lacking but i doubt its involved just a cant hurt situation lol. MY doc scared me trying to put me on birth control to control a period to minimie cervical cancer risks (aparently lack of period is something that increases the risk dramatically) but im allergic to birth control hormones and as theres not much else i can do i sort of just.....cross my fingers lol
  • liftforjoy43
    Options

While extra muscle mass, especially in the lower half, is definitely going to make running better, when someone is gaining to normalize body weight, fat gain is not only inevitable, it's desirable. Being too lean can affect period. For underweight people trying to gain weight, the rate of weight gain can outpace muscle gain - more so for women. So at least until muscle gain catches up, it's good to be mentally prepared for changes in performance. Certainly wouldn't hurt.

Just like weight loss, weight gain can play tricks on the mind and some changes can be shocking. The right frame of mind can help resist backsliding.

While I don't mind the fat gain because I definitely do need it i would like to gain a little bit of lean muscle along with it but since I know running doesn't build much muscle I know I won't be building much anyways. Should I even consider incorporating strength training to build atleast a little? I feel a little conflicted now because alot of people tell me that gaining weight in only fat mass is bad and that i should be building more muscle.
    If only running built muscles *sigh* haha
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I lose mine with heavy training or it will stall if I get into a deficit, especially with a low fat intake.

If you know you're underweight, I'd try to gain a few pounds back to get into a healthy weight range. It might be enough to get your period to come back.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

While I don't mind the fat gain because I definitely do need it i would like to gain a little bit of lean muscle along with it but since I know running doesn't build much muscle I know I won't be building much anyways. Should I even consider incorporating strength training to build atleast a little? I feel a little conflicted now because alot of people tell me that gaining weight in only fat mass is bad and that i should be building more muscle.

Yes, strength training is amazing. It will both augment your running and help protect your bones. I was in no way saying that you should gain it all in fat, you must have misunderstood. What I was saying is that because muscle gain often happens slower, fat gain can outpace it. But yes, definitely consider building muscle and strength. Your bones need all the help they can get. If you mentally struggle to enjoy it (I do too), think of it as something you're doing to improve your running. That's what I keep telling myself whenever I don't feel up to it.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I know but that still doesn't answer my general question? I'm just sorta curious about it.

there is a difference, but it's probably smaller than you may be thinking. i've never been a runner so don't know any specifics though.

you want to gain weight anyway, so it seems to me like it wouldn't be too terrible if you were eating back a few more calories than your calculator thinks you should eat? it really doesn't sound to me like obesity is going to happen to you overnight ;)

hope things improve for you.
  • liftforjoy43
    Options

Yes, strength training is amazing. It will both augment your running and help protect your bones. I was in no way saying that you should gain it all in fat, you must have misunderstood. What I was saying is that because muscle gain often happens slower, fat gain can outpace it. But yes, definitely consider building muscle and strength. Your bones need all the help they can get. If you mentally struggle to enjoy it (I do too), think of it as something you're doing to improve your running. That's what I keep telling myself whenever I don't feel up to it.

Yeah I agree, the benefits of strength training is definitely worth out even if it's not something I enjoy. The only thing that discourages me is that I don't have a gym membership to strength train in :/ and bodyweight exercises can only take you so far..all I have at home for "equipment" is 3 and 5 lb dumbbells. That won't build me any muscle ..
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Could I ask your age?
  • liftforjoy43
    Options
    Could I ask your age?

20 years :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Yeah I agree, the benefits of strength training is definitely worth out even if it's not something I enjoy. The only thing that discourages me is that I don't have a gym membership to strength train in :/ and bodyweight exercises can only take you so far..all I have at home for "equipment" is 3 and 5 lb dumbbells. That won't build me any muscle ..

buy some adjustable weights if you can afford it. takes up less space and cheaper in the long run. and resistance bands can help.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 356 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    cmh308 wrote: »
    If you're a guy and uncomfortable then I'm sorry but I need some advice from other ladies.
    I recently went to a gynecologist because I have not had a regular period for two years+ and I always shrugged it off as not important(no mood wings, cramps sounded grrat) but now I'm being told I should be more aware of it due to future health problems.
    Problem is the gynecologist wasn't much help. All she advised me to do is to exercise less and gave me pills so it could come back

My background info: I'm a runner (always been a runner) and run 7-13+ miles each day, 5 times a week averaging about 45-55 miles. I'm 5'0 and pretty underweight and I know this is most likely the reason for no period but now I'm a bit stuck as to how much I should reduce my training and if I should gain back some weight?
    The gyn wasn't helpful like I said so if any ladies out there could possibly give me advice/suggestions on what would be helpful or what you would do in my situation is appreciate it! Thank you

Amenorrhea is a sign that you are severely underweight, malnourished, over exercising, and generally putting too much stress on your body. Follow your doctors instructions to gain weight and cut back your exercise.

They werent much help. All they said was to "exercise less" with no specific details. I'm just asking for suggestions as to how much?

Check out the facebook group No Period Not What. There's a book on what you're going through and it will blow your mind how you're not alone in this. I suffered from it too. I Had to gain all the weight back I lost last year by eating around 3000 calories and working out less. I used this time as a Bulking period to gain muscle as I still weight lifted but with a lot less intensity and I stopped running/cardio completely to get my cycles back. It took 4 months to get to a regular 28 day cycle but I had HA for 13 months. I'm just now starting to try and cut the fluff by lessening my calories super slowly so I don't lose my cycle again.
    It's super important that you gain your cycle back as the loss of a menstrual cycle can cause osteoporosis.