Can't afford weight loss surgery

Options
I'm 21 years old and have been obese nearly all of my life. It's always been hard for me to lose and keep off weight, so I've been thinking a lot about surgery lately. I feel like it could be really good for me, but I am a student and will be for a couple more years, so it will be a while before I have substantial income. It would be great if I didn't have to wait that long though as I feel like my mental health would improve a great deal as a result, along with my physical health of course, and that these would help me to finish out school strong. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone on here was able to receive financial help for their procedure and how you went about doing that?

Replies

• Lesscookies12
    Lesscookies12 Posts: 140 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    You're young and you don't have much income perfect time to check with your insurance carrier about getting it if you don't have much income it may end up being free. Good luck!!

I once had to be in the hospital to get an X-ray my income was low so the trip was free for me, and I was also obese, and my insurance said if I got weight loss surgery it would be considered preventive service so it's free no deductible or 20% co-insurance. I ended up losing the weight myself so didn't take advantage but I had many opportunities. Make sure you ask don't assume you can't afford something if you haven't asked.
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Calorie count to lose weight. Save the money instead for potential loose skin removal.
  • candicew70
    candicew70 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My mom is planning on getting the surgery. She told me that most people gain back the weight within 3 years. That seems crazy, but it also demonstrates that it's not a permanent solution. She's elderly and not really able to exercise so I'm being supportive. But for you at 21, it seems like you might want to consider other options.
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    svel713 wrote: »
    Calorie count to lose weight. Save the money instead for potential loose skin removal.

You beat me to it. My niece put her WLS on her credit card. She lost some weight but gained it all back and was still in debt. I'd be more willing to finance skin removal/breast lift/tummy tuck. It's a good incentive for losing by eating less and moving more, which you have to do even with WLS.