Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sugar tax in the UK

Options
comptonelizabeth
comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
This came into force today - I'd be interested to know people's thoughts. Will it be effective, is it even necessary?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43659124

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    A brilliant way to make extra money for the coffers, but will government use it for those disadvantaged / aged / sick / education / healthcare? And if you are hooked on sugar, you will find the money for your daily dose - like any other drug or alcohol.

Your question is answered in the article itself: "In England that income is being invested in schools sports and breakfast clubs."
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think we don't know how it will work over time. Will be interesting.

Possible results:

(1) Companies reduce sugar to avoid the tax (seems to be happening). Will that also mean that people consume fewer calories? That's one question.

(2) Consumers reduce purchases of higher sugar products to avoid the tax, or because competitors of the products with less sugar are cheaper. Again, will this actually happen (it seems that taxes do have some effect on behavior, I know studies suggest that cigarette and alcohol taxes do)? Can't the effect be outweighed with cheaper prices and lower profit margin (in that I think soda is dirt cheap to make as compared to the cost, and much of the costs go to things like marketing and advertising)? And, of course, will this also mean that people consume fewer calories? I'm skeptical about that last one.

(3) No major effect on calories consumed/purchasing decisions.

In evaluating it, it will be important to separate out causes for possible trends. For example, purchases of sugary soda has been trending down (people claimed that the taxes in Berkeley had an effect, but you'd need to compare it to the trend places without the law).

It was a disaster in Cook County. I didn't think it would work that well, but it was so badly implemented that it wasn't a real test. See here (for some reason it amuses me to use a UK source): https://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2017/10/fizzled-0
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    I can't open the link at the moment, will look later.
    At this stage (I think) it's only fizzy drinks etc. I suspect those that like them will continue to buy them (raising cost didn't really work with cigarettes and as a smoker it didn't deter me, though to be fair nicotine is an addictive substance)
    Manufacturers may get round it by using sweeteners instead so people's tastes won't be altered.
    Guess it's wait and see!
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Will it be effective, is it even necessary?

People will switch to generic brands that are cheaper, or just pay the fee like they pay the plastic bottle fee here in the US.
    Seems like another grab at money, while making bureaucrats appear useful. So yes, it's effective. Is is necessary for government to be your parent? Nope. :+1:

I kind of agree with that last bit.
  • IrRevd
    IrRevd Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This has already been hugely effective already as almost all major drinks brand have changed their recipes to reduce sugar content.

Irn Bru is bigger than Coke in Scotland and has halved the amount of sugar. Given how much Scots drink of this there will be a big health benefit. As for the brand's that haven't changed, Coke Classic and Pepsi for example, they are reducing the sizes of their bottles.

If you go to a store a 1.25l bottle of Coke will cost the same as a 1.75l bottle of Coke Zero. I love Coke and only just tolerate Coke Zero but guess what I bought from the store last night.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    I don't drink much coke anyway but when I do, I like the full fat stuff! Guess I'll just have to pay more
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    The trouble is, they'll just replace sugar with artificial crap, which is equally, if not more damaging ... We'll see won't we :/

This is a problem for me too as artificial sweeteners kill my gut.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    IrRevd wrote: »
    This has already been hugely effective already as almost all major drinks brand have changed their recipes to reduce sugar content.

That doesn't mean it's been effective. It's been effective if that change results in lowered obesity rates or rates of things like diabetes (which basically track obesity rates in first world countries).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    The trouble is, they'll just replace sugar with artificial crap, which is equally, if not more damaging ... We'll see won't we :/

How are artificial sweeteners more damaging? If the end game is to reduce obesity, switching to artificial sweeteners, Diet Coke instead of regular for example - is often a very productive solution.

Yep -- one of the stupid things about the Cook County law (which was really a money-making effort, no question) was that it taxed diet sodas equally with sugary ones.

Clearly one can drink sugary soda in moderation and not be obese, but if you think that excess consumption of sugary sodas is too common and has an effect on societal obesity (which is the argument for these taxes, and one specifically made in Cook County), then it's silly to treat diet as if it were the same.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    As long as there are Oreos and chocolate and cake and cookies, I’m good with it.

Why just soda? Seems like they missed a lot of other obesity causing products.

By obesity causing products you mean “any food- naturally occurring or man made - which an individual eats which puts them in a calorie surplus”, right?
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »

How are artificial sweeteners more damaging? If the end game is to reduce obesity, switching to artificial sweeteners, Diet Coke instead of regular for example - is often a very productive solution.

Yep -- one of the stupid things about the Cook County law (which was really a money-making effort, no question) was that it taxed diet sodas equally with sugary ones.

Clearly one can drink sugary soda in moderation and not be obese, but if you think that excess consumption of sugary sodas is too common and has an effect on societal obesity (which is the argument for these taxes, and one specifically made in Cook County), then it's silly to treat diet as if it were the same.

Not only did they tax the diet soda the same as regular soda, they specifically did not tax items like added sugars in juice, or sweet tea which has nothing but sugar in it. It was odd, and most people just went into the next county to get their fix. It turned out to be more damaging to the local businesses than to people's pocketbooks. I don't believe it actually changed anyone's habits, mostly people just complained. (spoken as a Cook County adjacent resident)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    As long as there are Oreos and chocolate and cake and cookies, I’m good with it.

Why just soda? Seems like they missed a lot of other obesity causing products.

Stay tuned, it will be coming. Especially where governments pay healthcare costs (and the government pays about 50% of US healthcare).

Without judging if right or wrong, it will heppen.