anyone ese have an idea what this is?

Options
i have been to so many doctors in the past few motnhs and they cant figure out whats wrong. i want to tell you whats wrong and if anyone has something like this please let me know the name of it and what the treatment is so i can ask my doctor when i get yet another test result back tomorrow. my insurance company must hate me. I am highly anemic. I eat aton o f sugar but my blood sugar always is low. i black out alot. i pass out sometimes. I have super low blood pressure and a low heart rate. any ideas? im sure my doctor is fully capable but i would like to have an idea to present myself too.

Replies

• wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    is your heart rate regular or does it skip around a lot?
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should stop eating a ton of sugar.
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    my mum had something similar (not exactly the same) a few years ago and hers was an iron deficency
  • purnurple
    purnurple Posts: 102
    Options
    Maybe you should stop eating a ton of sugar.

if i stop eating sugar, it gets a hundred times worse.
  • purnurple
    Options
    is your heart rate regular or does it skip around a lot?

it gives 2 fast beats then skips one. most of the time and sometimes its just really skippy
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    open your food diary. it sounds like you are eating badly. have you had an eating disorder in the past?
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Many people have irregular heart rhythms, just most don't know it.

I'm coeliac and I know that can cause low iron, but no idea about blood sugar.... get some food allergy testing and make sure the coeliac panel is included.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    my mum had something similar (not exactly the same) a few years ago and hers was an iron deficency

It sounds like an extreme iron deficiency. But I would be amazed if your doctors havent discovered this yet. You could also be diabetic or hypoglycemic at a minimum. It is possible to be diagnosed as Type 1 later in life even though rare, given sugar would typically be a bad thing but if you have anemia as well your body is processing two evils. If they cant give you a full diagnosis they do need to go beyond basic testing and do a full vitmain and mineral test to see what else you may be deficient in so you can start supplementing so you wont need as much sugar. Alot of sugary foods (mainly chocolate) also contain trace to decent amounts of iron. It is also possible to be type 2 diabetic at a normal weight, your pancrease just isnt functioning right.
  • purnurple
    Options

It sounds like an extreme iron deficiency. But I would be amazed if your doctors havent discovered this yet. You could also be diabetic or hypoglycemic at a minimum. It is possible to be diagnosed as Type 1 later in life even though rare, given sugar would typically be a bad thing but if you have anemia as well your body is processing two evils. If they cant give you a full diagnosis they do need to go beyond basic testing and do a full vitmain and mineral test to see what else you may be deficient in so you can start supplementing so you wont need as much sugar. Alot of sugary foods (mainly chocolate) also contain trace to decent amounts of iron. It is also possible to be type 2 diabetic at a normal weight, your pancrease just isnt functioning right.

i dont think i would be diabetic with low blood sugar.
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    i have been to so many doctors in the past few motnhs and they cant figure out whats wrong. i want to tell you whats wrong and if anyone has something like this please let me know the name of it and what the treatment is so i can ask my doctor when i get yet another test result back tomorrow. my insurance company must hate me. I am highly anemic. I eat aton o f sugar but my blood sugar always is low. i black out alot. i pass out sometimes. I have super low blood pressure and a low heart rate. any ideas? im sure my doctor is fully capable but i would like to have an idea to present myself too.

I have an idea of what it is. It's exactly what you said. You eat a ton of sugar. Eating a lot of sugar can increase your blood sugar if you're not used to it. But it can lower your blood sugar if you eat a ton of sugar regularly. Your body produces insulin to deal with sugar or carbs. when you eat a ton of carbs or sugar you body produces a ton of insulin to deal with it. Sugar burns off quickly but the insulin doesn't go away. It sticks around waiting for more sugar. I'll bet you get hungry often, even when you've just eaten less than 30 minutes prior. The way to deal with it, is to stop eating sugar and carbs. It's really difficult to cut all of it out. But if you start slowly and work it down, your body will stop producing so much insulin and everything will balance out after a couple of weeks. Eating the recommended amount of fat and protein also helps. don't go over and don't go under.
  • icandothistrish85
    Options
    My husband (user: DerrickR333) has this EXACT same issues/response and it's called Vasovagal Syncopy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_response
  • icandothistrish85
    Options
    Vasovagal syncope occurs in response to a trigger, with a corresponding malfunction in the parts of the nervous system that regulate heart rate and blood pressure. When heart rate slows, blood pressure drops, and the resulting lack of blood to the brain causes fainting.[3]

Typical triggers for vasovagal episodes include:[4]
    Prolonged standing or upright sitting
    Standing up very quickly
    Stress
    P.O.T.S.(Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome) Multiple chronic episodes are experienced daily by many patients diagnosed with this syndrome. Episodes are most commonly manifested upon standing up.
    Any painful or unpleasant stimuli, such as: Trauma
    Venipuncture
    Watching or experiencing medical procedures
    High pressure on or around the chest area after heavy exercise

Arousal or stimulants, e.g. sex
    Sudden onset of extreme emotions
    Lack of Sleep
    Dehydration
    Urination ('micturition syncope') or defecation, having a bowel movement ('defecation syncope')
    Random onsets due to nerve malfunctions
    Pressing upon certain places on the throat, sinuses, and eyes (also known as vagal reflex stimulation when performed clinically)
    Use of certain drugs that affect blood pressure, such as amphetamine
  • purnurple
    Options
    Vasovagal syncope occurs in response to a trigger, with a corresponding malfunction in the parts of the nervous system that regulate heart rate and blood pressure. When heart rate slows, blood pressure drops, and the resulting lack of blood to the brain causes fainting.[3]

Typical triggers for vasovagal episodes include:[4]
    Prolonged standing or upright sitting
    Standing up very quickly
    Stress
    P.O.T.S.(Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome) Multiple chronic episodes are experienced daily by many patients diagnosed with this syndrome. Episodes are most commonly manifested upon standing up.
    Any painful or unpleasant stimuli, such as: Trauma
    Venipuncture
    Watching or experiencing medical procedures
    High pressure on or around the chest area after heavy exercise

Arousal or stimulants, e.g. sex
    Sudden onset of extreme emotions
    Lack of Sleep
    Dehydration
    Urination ('micturition syncope') or defecation, having a bowel movement ('defecation syncope')
    Random onsets due to nerve malfunctions
    Pressing upon certain places on the throat, sinuses, and eyes (also known as vagal reflex stimulation when performed clinically)
    Use of certain drugs that affect blood pressure, such as amphetamine

ths sounds more like it. i usually pass out when i wake up in the mornings or stand up too fast
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
    Dysautonomia (autonomic dysfunction) is a broad term that describes any disease or malfunction of the autonomic nervous system. This includes postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), inappropriate sinus tachycardia (IST), vasovagal syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, neurocardiogenic syncope (NCS), neurally mediated hypotension (NMH), autonomic instability and a number of lesser-known disorders such as cerebral salt-wasting syndrome. Dysautonomia is associated with Lyme disease, primary biliary cirrhosis, multiple system atrophy (Shy-Drager syndrome),[1] Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, and Marfan syndrome for reasons that are not fully understood. In a study on orthostatic intolerance and EDS it is suggested the occurrence of these syndromes together can be attributed to the abnormal connective tissue in dependent blood vessels of those with EDS, which permits veins to distend excessively in response to ordinary hydrostatic pressures. This in turn leads to increased venous pooling and its hemodynamic and symptomatic consequences.

Symptoms of dysautonomia are numerous and vary widely from person to person. Since dysautonomia is a full-body condition, a large number of symptoms may be present that can greatly alter a person's quality of life. Each patient with dysautonomia is different—some are affected only mildly while others are left completely bedridden and disabled.

The primary symptoms that present in patients with dysautonomia are:

* Excessive fatigue
    * Excessive thirst (polydipsia)
    * Lightheadedness, dizziness or vertigo
    * Feelings of anxiety or panic (not mentally induced)
    * Rapid heart rate or slow heart rate
    * Orthostatic hypotension, sometimes resulting in syncope[3] (fainting)

Other symptoms frequently associated with dysautonomia include: headaches, pallor, malaise, facial flushing, salt cravings, constipation, diarrhea, nausea, acid reflux, visual disturbances, orthostatic hypotension, numbness, nerve pain, trouble breathing, chest pains, in some cases loss of consciousness and seizures. [3] A full list of symptoms may be found at the Dysautonomia Information Network.[4]

Causes of dysautonomias are not fully understood, but they are thought to include:

* Autoimmune disorders, especially Lyme disease[5] and Type I diabetes
    * Bad body posture (causes compression of important arteries and/or nerves)[citation needed]
    * Brain injury[6]
    * Degenerative neurological diseases such as Parkinson's disease
    * Exposure to chemicals (e.g., most commonly, pyridoxine)
    * Genetic factors
    * Hereditary connective tissue diseases, especially Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
    * Pregnancy
    * Physical trauma or injury which damages the autonomic nervous system, as with Cerebral salt-wasting syndrome.[6]
    * Viral illness
    * Mitochondrial Diseases

Management

In some cases, a cardiac ablation procedure can be performed to stop the heart symptoms completely. It is not recommended in POTS patients, and can in fact worsen tachycardia.[7] Medications are also used to stabilize the condition on a long-term basis. Benzodiazepines can be used for some of the physical problems such as anxiety. In many cases treatment of primary dysautonomia is symptomatic and supportive. Measures to combat orthostatic intolerance include elevation of the head of the bed, frequent small meals, a high-salt diet, fluid intake, and compression stockings. Drugs such as fludrocortisone, midodrine, ephedrine and SSRIs can also be used to treat symptoms. Treating dysautonomia can be difficult and usually requires a combination of drug therapies.
    [edit] Prognosis

The outlook for patients with dysautonomia depends on the particular diagnostic category. There is no way of predicting whether symptoms of dysautonomia will resolve over time, or continue over the entire course of one's lifespan. Some forms of dysautonomia are not life threatening, even if life changing in the form of minor to major limitations in activities of daily living. However patients with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Marfan Syndrome or Parkinson's disease have a chronic, progressive, generalized form of dysautonomia in the setting of central nervous system degeneration, leading to a generally poor long-term prognosis. Patients can die from pneumonia, acute respiratory failure, or sudden cardiopulmonary arrest.[8]

There is some evidence that dysautonomia may be a factor in SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome).
    [edit] History

In the nineteenth and earlier twentieth centuries, a diagnosis that was almost solely given to women was called "neurasthenia," or a "weak nervous system." (During World War One, doctors began to apply it to men exhibiting symptoms of what is now called post-traumatic stress disorder.) These women would present symptoms of fatigue, weakness, dizziness and fainting, and the doctor's orders would simply be bed rest. Some of these women died, while many others recovered. No one understood where the problems came from. With the advances in modern medicine, diagnostic criteria and treatment for various forms of dysautonomia have sharpened. Doctors and researchers are including males in their subject population for this disorder.

The prototype of dysautonomia is the ancient scourge of beriberi, a nutritional deficiency disease due to excess of simple carbohydrate and concomitant vitamin B1 deficiency. In the early stages this results in loss of functional efficiency in the central control mechanisms of the autonomic nervous system. If the nutritional deficiency continues, there is gradual degeneration of the system. Other vitamin deficiencies have been implicated in causing dysautonomia and unlike the genetically determined forms of the disease, are treatable.[9
  • taurie
    taurie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Have your adrenal glands been checked?

Overuse of diet pills or excessive caffeine can cause andrenal exhaustion, but so can stress and a load of other things.

I'm sure they have checked your hormone levels... but just ask.
  • purnurple
    Options
    Have your adrenal glands been checked?

Overuse of diet pills or excessive caffeine can cause andrenal exhaustion, but so can stress and a load of other things.

I'm sure they have checked your hormone levels... but just ask.

they havent but i dont take diet pills and i dont do caffine. they once thought it was vertigo and got me in the habit of no caffine and they now know its not vertigo but they still have me in the habbit of doing caffine free stuff
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Some of these ideas are pretty good, but keep in mind, you are asking about something that is, apparently, impacting your cardiovascular, endocrine, and hematologic systems. That is pretty broad. You do need tests for endocrine (testing for Addisons, as a prior poster alluded, and TSH and T3-4 levels), and probably a glucose tolerance test, renal and hepatic function panels, etc. The kidney are actually capable of causing anemia and screwing up blood sugar and blood pressure, the liver can cause blood sugar problems and alter plasma protein counts, but I think only the endocrine is really capable of causing all of the above by itself. Hard to say, though. Is your urine dark? Is your skin bronze? Do you have sensitivity to cold? The list goes on, and mostly what you will get here, I think, is confused.
  • PDXKell
    PDXKell Posts: 1
    Options
    First of all, stop eating all that sugar. That goes for a lot of sugar substitutes, as well. When you eat too much sugar, your body becomes insulin-resistant and boom, you're diabetic. That's not going to solve all your problems, but you can create more problems by dumping in the sugar.

Remember sugar highs - cause sugar lows. That can add to the tiredness, etc.

Eat healthy - think of food as fuel for your body, don't eat needless empty calories (like sugar) that don't really do your body any good. Complex Carbs turn to sugar, but in a slow process, to give you energy.

Other than that, be sure your doctor runs all the tests suggested, because a lot of times they like to "cut corners" or act like it's in your head when it's in your body.

Good luck.