Do I eat the same calories (based on high activity level) even on low activity days?

Hi MFP!

I recently started anew waitressing job and work 8 hour shifts 4-5 times a week (sometimes an extra day if I end up having to go in on my "on call" day). I updated my MFP activity level (since I used to be in a desk job) and now I have 500 more calories a day; 2,080 to be exact. Since I'm off 2 or 3 days a week, should I eat less on those days or does MFP take into account that work generally comes with 2 days off? I'm thinking of exercising on my days off and not adding the calories burnt but I'm not sure if that's enough.

I'd rather not get MFP premium to set different daily goals, so any insight is appreciated! Thank you

Replies

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    It is assuming your activity level for every day. So if that is not the case. Eat less on those days or calculate off the lower days and eat more when you are more active.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Hi MFP!

I recently started anew waitressing job and work 8 hour shifts 4-5 times a week (sometimes an extra day if I end up having to go in on my "on call" day). I updated my MFP activity level (since I used to be in a desk job) and now I have 500 more calories a day; 2,080 to be exact. Since I'm off 2 or 3 days a week, should I eat less on those days or does MFP take into account that work generally comes with 2 days off? I'm thinking of exercising on my days off and not adding the calories burnt but I'm not sure if that's enough.

I'd rather not get MFP premium to set different daily goals, so any insight is appreciated! Thank you

I assume that MFP does take into account that work generally comes with 2 days off.

But you can try your plan of exercising on your days off and not adding the calories burnt and see if your weight loss is more or less than expected.

Give it a month or two so you have sufficient data for making a decision on how to proceed after that.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hi MFP!

I assume that MFP does take into account that work generally comes with 2 days off.

But you can try your plan of exercising on your days off and not adding the calories burnt and see if your weight loss is more or less than expected.

Give it a month or two so you have sufficient data for making a decision on how to proceed after that.

How does the program know the difference between a working adult and a retired one? It never asks the question so its pretty safe to assume work schedules are not part of the calculation.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I just look at my average week. Some days I am highly active and others I am not so I just meet in the middle with moderately active which is what my average weekly FitBit calories pretty much tell me.
  • EllieElla2015
    EllieElla2015 Posts: 67 Member
    Hi MFP!

How does the program know the difference between a working adult and a retired one? It never asks the question so its pretty safe to assume work schedules are not part of the calculation.

When you set your activity level it uses your occupation as the basis. It says "teacher" or "salesman" or "server" so that's why I was confused

• Poisonedpawn78
    Hi MFP!

When you set your activity level it uses your occupation as the basis. It says "teacher" or "salesman" or "server" so that's why I was confused

Its refering to the level of activity. But fair and i see why.
  • EllieElla2015
    EllieElla2015 Posts: 67 Member
    Hi MFP!

Its refering to the level of activity. But fair and i see why.

Hmm I see what you're saying- I think I'll err on the side of caution and eat less on non-work days
  • Birder165
    Birder165 Posts: 484 Member
    edited April 2018
    I don't have premium and I can change my daily calorie goals - not ahead of time but each day I can go in to Goals and change the count.
    I use web based MFP. Home page - Goals - Edit
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    You can also set your activity to “not very active”, wear an activity tracker and enable negative adjustments. Then you’ll have an idea of daily TDEE. You can still balance your calories out over the week.
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Hi MFP!

Not everyone works 5 day weeks either.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Hi MFP!

But retired doesn't automatically mean a lower activity level either - my activity level shot up when I retired. I spent most of yesterday up a tree for example. (Yes I know at my age I should act like a grown up....)

It's only a rough guide to get a suitable multiplier for a person's BMR.
    Averaging out activity over a week is perfectly fine otherwise it's a constant faff of adjusting something that really doesn't need daily adjusting.

OP - do realise that on myfitneespal there is no cross over between exercise and activity setting. Your calorie goal is plus exercise calories.
    I'm thinking of exercising on my days off and not adding the calories burnt but I'm not sure if that's enough.

Don't fall into the trap of estimating everything low - that's not the way to achieve accuracy.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    sijomial wrote: »
    Hi MFP!

But retired doesn't automatically mean a lower activity level either - my activity level shot up when I retired. I spent most of yesterday up a tree for example. (Yes I know at my age I should act like a grown up....)

Averaging out activity over a week is perfectly fine otherwise it's a constant faff of adjusting something that really doesn't need daily adjusting.

OP - do realise that on myfitneespal there is no cross over between exercise and activity setting. Your calorie goal is plus exercise calories.
    I'm thinking of exercising on my days off and not adding the calories burnt but I'm not sure if that's enough.

Don't fall into the trap of estimating everything low - that's not the way to achieve accuracy.

The point is that I was making the distinction between it being a guesstimate of activity level vs ACTUALLY being that profession 5 days out of 7. A retired person while able to maintain an activity level, they are not performing the actual job listed anymore in the suggestions of each activity level 5 days out of 7 making "off days" not part of the calculation.
  • sijomial
    Hi MFP!

The point is that I was making the distinction between it being a guesstimate of activity level vs ACTUALLY being that profession 5 days out of 7. A retired person while able to maintain an activity level, they are not performing the actual job listed anymore in the suggestions of each activity level 5 days out of 7 making "off days" not part of the calculation.

And it really doesn't matter that much. It's working out a rough average.
    Even people with the same job will have very different activity levels - a postal worker who walks all their rounds versus a postal worker that drives the majority of theirs for example.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Hi MFP!

Even people with the same job will have very different activity levels - a postal worker who walks all their rounds versus a postal worker that drives the majority of theirs for example.

you are missing the point of the conversation which is the distinction of does MFP take into account a weekend or off days from a profession when estimating activity level.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    I set myself to sedentary, as I technically have an "office/desk" job (I'm a mental health counsellor.. I do stand at my desk, but I sit in sessions, in meetings, and in the car. With that said, I have a Fitbit and do eat back (to the best of my ability) my "step calories." So, MFP has me set at 1300(and something) calories, but my additional calories puts me up, usually, between 1600-1800 calories.

Maybe I'm not supposed to be doing it this way, but it makes sense in my head. Especially since there are some weekends where I barely move myself LOL (so less calorie allowance)
  • sijomial
    Hi MFP!

you are missing the point of the conversation which is the distinction of does MFP take into account a weekend or off days from a profession when estimating activity level.

Maybe you are missing the point it's a long term average and not a day by day or even week by week variable?
    Should someone change their setting because they work an extra day on overtime?
    Or have a day off for a Bank Holiday?
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Hi MFP!

Maybe you are missing the point it's a long term average and not a day by day or even week by week variable?

Sigh.... roles eyes.
  • sijomial
    Hi MFP!

Sigh.... roles eyes.

I think you mean rolls?
    If you get to goal weight maintenance is going to be an utter misery for you unless you focus on the big picture not the little details.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Hi MFP!

Sigh.... roles eyes.

I think you mean rolls?
    If you get to goal weight maintenance is going to be an utter misery for you unless you focus on the big picture not the little details.

The formula used to predict BMR and TDEE do not take long term averages. That is not how it works. Sorry for the spelling mistake, I am just over trying to explain the conversation to someone who was clearly trying to be offended from the beginning and is now trying to argue their way out of a losing position. I really dont care.
  • sijomial
    Hi MFP!

Sigh.... roles eyes.

I think you mean rolls?

The formula used to predict BMR and TDEE do not take long term averages. That is not how it works. Sorry for the spelling mistake, I am just over trying to explain the conversation to someone who was clearly trying to be offended from the beginning and is now trying to argue their way out of a losing position. I really dont care.

No offence here, no winners or losers either as I don't believe there is a point scoring system for a conversation?
    (Detached amusement probably the best description.)

Bye and good luck.