Strength Training

Options
I started using dumbells about 3 months ago! Is it normal to have lower back pain the day after moving up to heavier weights? I've been using 5 lb dumbells to tone and increased to 8 lbs yesterday and woke up this morning with a stiff back and it hurts to turn :s

Replies

• andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    what exercises have you been doing?
  • Simplyjesslauren
    Simplyjesslauren Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lunges, squats, bicep curls, tricep push ups, deadlifts. I usually do 4 sets/15 reps of each
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Just holding heavier weights can make your posture all weird... that could easily cause your back to be sore. Have you tried back exercises or core exercises?
  • MichelleLaree13
    Options
    I use capsaicin ointment, foam rollers, epsom baths and a TENS unit for general aches and soreness. If it is really painful, I would go see a doctor
  • Simplyjesslauren
    Options
    I use capsaicin ointment, foam rollers, epsom baths and a TENS unit for general aches and soreness. If it is really painful, I would go see a doctor

I maybe went in a little too ambitious with the 8lbs. I attempted to do the same amount of set/reps as I was doing with 5 lb weights. This was properly a poor choice! Thank you for the feedback!!
  • MichelleLaree13
    Options
    No problem! Hope you feel better
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    After three months, you should have been able to move up 3 pounds. Have you been doing this consistently for three months? How many times per week?
  • Simplyjesslauren
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    After three months, you should have been able to move up 3 pounds. Have you been doing this consistently for three months? How many times per week?

Yes I have. I aim for at least 3x a week roughly about 40-45 minutes! I'm not sure it was poor form on my part due to heavier weights or what. I felt fine after with no discomfort while lifting but this morning was a different story. :/
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes it was most likely poor form with the heavier weight. When going up in weight you should decrease the reps. Although 3 lbs doesn’t sound like much, it’s a 60% increase for you on 5 lbs.
    look into an organized program. You should be able to use a much heavier weight on deadlift than lunge or triceps.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Here is the link. Get on a well structured program, focus on form and even get a trainer a few times to do it right.

• TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    You'll be able to deadlift at least 20kgs (dunno what that is in pounds) as a beginner, and you'll gain strength very quickly. However form is everything, if your form is wrong you'll only end up hurting yourself and/or not seeing any results.

Women can and should lift heavy!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    How hard was the 5lb actually after months of doing this?

This was probably just normal reaction and soreness to your body seeing an actual workout again - you probably forgot what that was like months ago.