Smoothies. Are they worth it?

Hey guys! So I bought a NutriBullet today and looooooads of frozen fruit to have smoothies for breakfast as I struggle to eat early on a morning.
I was planning on mixing the fruit with water and blending.
I have been told by people that fruit smoothies are just unnescessary calories as they are really high calorie, full of sugar and really bad for you. Is this true? Is it worth it?
Thanks!

Replies

• jasminetahiti
    jasminetahiti Posts: 9 Member
    Too much sugar is too much, but how about adding in carrot juice as a base and adding leafy greens in too? That way the smaller amount of fruit can sweeten it up without the complete overload of sugar.
  • chloe_wearmouth
    chloe_wearmouth Posts: 19 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    nothing wrong with smoothies but if you dont want to eat in the morning theres zero need to. Eat what/when you want

Hey thanks for replying! The only reason I want to have something in my stomach is because my job only allows us to eat/use the bathroom etc. At certain times. If I dont have anything at 8am, I then have to go until 1.30pm before I am allowed to eat. Same again for evening, not allowed to eat until 6.15pm when I get home which is why Ill try and eat at every opportunity as I am on my feet running around all day. Unfortunately I end up skipping breakfast because I don't feel like eating and then regret it at 11am so I am just trying to think of different ways to get something inside me :)
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2018
    then ya for sure do smoothies, id look into adding in greens/vegetables though (frozen spinach nuggets for example blend in flavorlessly with very little fruit) Dont be afraid to try less fruit and more other things, Youd be amazed how little fruit is actually needed. Not that there is anything wrong with fruit. Just saying
  • chloe_wearmouth
    Fruit and water smoothies are a lot of carbs/sugar, but have some vitamins. I would personally do less fruit and mix with protein powder for a more balanced meal.

Hey thanks for replying! I am thinking of doing less fruit with some greens like kale and spinach with some protein powder. Thankyou for the advice!
  • chloe_wearmouth
    Too much sugar is too much, but how about adding in carrot juice as a base and adding leafy greens in too? That way the smaller amount of fruit can sweeten it up without the complete overload of sugar.

Hey thanks for replying! Based on all advice given to me I think Ill do less fruit mixed with some leafy greens like kale and add protein mix :)
    Thanks for the advice!
  • chloe_wearmouth
    then ya for sure do smoothies, id look into adding in greens/vegetables though (frozen spinach nuggets for example blend in flavorlessly with very little fruit) Dont be afraid to try less fruit and more other things, Youd be amazed how little fruit is actually needed. Not that there is anything wrong with fruit. Just saying

Ive got some kale and spinach nuggets in the freezer so think Im going to try less fruit with some greens and protein powder! Thanks!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    by all means be creative, I use vanilla protein powder spinach and cinnamon mixed with carrots sometimes and it tastes like carrot cake. Smoothies can be basically anything blendable
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    I have a smoothie almost every day for breakfast. Fruit, Greek yoghurt, and protein powder. I’ve tried various vegetables in my smoothie before and it’s always disgusting, so I use fruit only.
  • Martinez83014
    Martinez83014 Posts: 21 Member
    I use protein powder, water and a frozen banana instead of ice. Sometimes I add a half serving of pb fit. It taste like a milk shake no matter what flavor i use. Works for me because I also have very little time to eat. Plus a vicious sweet tooth.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member

Ive got some kale and spinach nuggets in the freezer so think Im going to try less fruit with some greens and protein powder! Thanks!

I'd add fat too - avo or nut butter works well!
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    edited April 2018
    I do a post workout smoothie. I have digestive issues, that require me to do a daily fiber supplement. So I do raw fiber, half a scoop of whey, blue berries, yogurt, kale, coconut oil with ice, pomegranate juice, and water.

I have a ninja too, love it. Its great for making homemade sauces and salsas as well.
  • jlindros
    jlindros Posts: 10 Member
    I have a protein smoothie almost every morning, so addicted to them. Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk, frozen fruit, and vanilla protein powder. I like the frozen fruit mixes that have banana as they seem to thicken it up. Might as well get some protein in for breakfast!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    I love smoothies. They're the perfect breakfast for me. Whether they're high calorie and full of sugar depends entirely what you put in them. Some people use ice cream and 1 cup of peanut butter whereas others just use fruit and vegetables.

The one I make most often consists of:
    • Water
    • Kale or spinach
    • Lime or lemon
    • Green apple
    • Ginger (fresh not group)
    • Chia seeds an/or hemp heart seeds
    • Sometimes a cucumber

If I want something fruity:
    1. Strawberries
    2. Mangoes
    3. Maybe pineapple
    4. Spinach or kale
    5. Water
    6. Chia seeds and/or hemp heart seeds

Here are a few recipes I like:
    [url= gofrenchyourself.com/home/2016/5/2/gym-rat-smoothie-from-oh-she-glows

I also make frozen daiquiris, which are delicious :)
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I use frozen strawberries instead of ice; they are pretty low in calories. Usually just that, a banana yogurt and water. But I don't have it every day as an important part of my daily macros; I have one every now and then more as a treat.
  • altairego21
    altairego21 Posts: 52 Member
    my go to recipe esp for the morning is almond milk, half a frozen banana, couple berries, spinach, protein powder, chia seeds and spirulina! loaded with vitamins and micronutrients!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Really bad for you? No. Also not necessary. And yes, they can get high calorie. Especially if you're not weighing your fruit and you're just throwing this and that ingredient in because "it's healthy".

I personally find fruit to be calorie dense for my goals. Others do not. I eat it sparingly. Once in awhile I'll use bout 100 grams of strawberries in a shake.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    I really appreciate smoothies, although I'm with those who try to add a little protein or veg in. But for me, I cook most of my food, with very little of it raw, which makes it hard to get vitamin C since it is destroyed by heat. Smoothies are a great way for me to get that vitamin, since it's all raw. :-)
  • justcarpediem
    justcarpediem Posts: 4 Member
    If you're doing it as a meal replacement (as I do more often than not) make sure to use lots of vegetables, and if you can, protein, too! They're a delicious way to get those nutrients in! I love 'em!

My favorite smoothie consists of spinach (a lot), carrots, frozen mango, frozen peaches, unsweetened vanilla-flavored almond milk, and protein powder. It's absolutely delicious.