Worried about loose skin

Options
kellyanne4210
kellyanne4210 Posts: 18 Member
edited April 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello, so as the title says I am really really worried about getting loose skin after weight loss! I started my weight loss journey at 235 and am currently down to 220 so this is only the start. It feels great to be losing weight but I have this looming dread in the back of my head that I might get loose skin! I am 23 with about 100lb to lose in total.. is there anybody else that might be able to share some tips on how to avoid this? Thanks in advance

Replies

• lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I am not an expert on this but since you are young, some of your skin might bounce back. I can't guarantee it but you are luckier in that aspect than I am. Also weights might help tone up some of it. Basically as people on here have said it depends a lot on your genetics also. There is really no way to avoid it. It is either going to happen or it won't. There is nothing really you can do except like I said try weight training and the fact that you have your age in your favor. I am sure other people will weigh in on this who are more knowledgeable than me and further along with their weight loss than me.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have a friend who lost over 200 pounds. She had the skin surgically removed. It was just too much.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I am in my 40's and have some loose skin, mainly around my tummy and thighs. I lost 70+ pounds (not sure of my starting weight). It is getting a bit better with time but is easily hidden under clothes. All in all, give me loose skin over obesity any day of the week. People notice fat . They don't notice loose skin unless you are in a bikini. However, as you are so much younger your chances of loose skin is much less than mine to begin with.

Congratulations on your progress.
  • kellyanne4210
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Congrats on your weight loss progress!

As for ending up with loose skin, don't borrow trouble. Losing the weight is best for your health and your appearance whether you get excess skin or not.

Everyone can always see your excess fat. Clothes can cover excess skin if you end up with any.
    Thank you what a great way of looking at things!
  • kellyanne4210
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Go take a look at threads over in the "Success Stories" part of the forums. Some of the people who've lost lots of weight have before & after photos, and a few talk very frankly about loose skin. I think you'll find most people's actual results much less scary than you're thinking, truly.

One thing to be aware of us is that for some of us, our appearance part way through weight loss is worse in some ways, with respect to perceived loose skin, than our appearance at max weight or goal weight. For some, there's a midway point where fat mass has depleted like a half-filled water balloon: When fat, the mass is rotund, filled out. Part way to goal, the fat area gets kind of regrettably floppy and squishy; the remaining squishy fat conspires with gravity to keep skin stretched; and appearance isn't great. Don't panic at that point. Keep going!

At a sensible goal weight, that squishy fat leaves, you get very thin wrinkles of loose skin, and those thin wrinkles - they look like wrinkles in fabric - will keep shrinking well into maintenance at goal weight (and they look fine under clothes while they do so). My true loose skin - the thin wrinkles - kept shrinking well into my second year of maintenance, even at age 60-62.

Losing weight will have huge benefits in how you feel and what you can do. I don't even have ways to tell you about how much better you'll feel, in so many ways. At your young age, you'll truly be able to put obesity/overweight behind you permanently, and change your life - and your (future?) children's lives, in huge, dramatic ways. Please take the risk of scary change, and go for it with all you've got. You won't be sorry, I promise.

(Lose slowly and sensibly; remodel your habits; exercise (do fun active stuff); get stronger. It'll be good.)

Best wishes!

Thank you so much for this advice!
  • kellyanne4210
    Options
    Never tried it but have you heard of fascia blaster? It is this weird massage thing that is supposed to get rid of cellulite and make loose skin tighten up

I haven't heard of this no! I will do some researching, thank you
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I started at the same weight and same age (im 5 ft 3) I lost 110 pounds. I have loose skin but i accept it and still think i look pretty dang good im healthy im happy and i accepted theres nothing i can do but give it time and hope, But im happier this way thn i was before no point in worrying over things you cant control