Question about bananas

Options
So I read somewhere that bananas are awful for weight loss. Im totally confused. Could you guys give me your thoughts on this. Thank you.

Replies

• SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Is this for real though
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    What you read somewhere, what did it say?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Take what you read as woo, bananas are a great nutrient and on average around 100 cals so they make the perfect snack.
  • Meggie43
    Meggie43 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just read it on a site for smoothies. It was on facebook. It was a recipe from the show biggest loser. I honestly didnt think so....
  • Meggie43
    Meggie43 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »
    A 100g banana has about 95 calories. Does that sound awful for weight loss?

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Meggie43 wrote: »
    I just read it on a site for smoothies. It was on facebook. It was a recipe from the show biggest loser. I honestly didnt think so....

Bananas are good, too many are not.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why bananas feature on those click bait links of WORSE FOODS EVER!!!! (have never clicked in to links to find out)

Anyway bananas are like any other food - good in appropriate amounts.

50 a day - probably not so good.

*Repeats story of Peter Siddle, Australian cricketer, who reportedly eats up to 20 a day - but he is over 6 ft tall, young male, very active. Most people - I suggest less bananas that that ;)

1 or even several a day within your calorie allowance - sure.
    They are relatively low in calories for volume, portable, tasty, nutritious - I eat several per week almost every week and have been known to eat 2 or even 3 in a single day.
    I have maintained BMI of 23 for 4 years.

If you are diabetic be cautious about the sugar
    If you have renal impairment be cautious about the potassium.
    If you are allergic- avoid altogether.

Otherwise just log and fit into calorie allowance, like any other food.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana every day. It tastes good, fills me up, and gives me some much needed potassium.
  • Nadspee
    Nadspee Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I know some people doing keto that don't eat bananas because of the carbs. Maybe the article you were reading was specifically about low carb diets?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    Banana girl eats lots of bananas! :scream: She doesn't need to lose weight! :lol:

I only eat a few because I don't think they're really worth their calories unless I'm using them to make nice-cream.

I find that the same calories worth of apples, for example, are more satiating.

If you prefer to spend them on bananas instead, what's it to me?

Log your food accurately and choose whatever fits your plans, needs, and likes.
  • Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love bananas and have lost over 20 pounds whilst incorporating them into my diet and calorie allowance.

The poor banana always gets a bad rep!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Banana girl eats lots of bananas! :scream: She doesn't need to lose weight! :lol:

I only eat a few because I don't think they're really worth their calories unless I'm using them to make nice-cream.

I find that the same calories worth of apples, for example, are more satiating.

If you prefer to spend them on bananas instead, what's it to me?

Log your food accurately and choose whatever fits your plans, needs, and likes.

Most of the weight she lost is brain cells ;)

OP, unless you're someone who needs to watch your carb/sugar intake bananas are fine in moderation.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I've eaten a banana with my breakfast almost every day & have lost 112 lbs. Bananas are my favorite fruit so I'd hate to give them up so I work them into my food log so I can have them.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I mean, sometimes they upset my stomach and I never know when they're gonna hit me badly, but otherwise they're awesome as long as I account for the calories... (protip, if not at home with food scale I just assume one banana is 1.5 to 2 servings).
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    i only use bananas in nicecream but i make it a few times a week and i love it.