Protein

Options
2»

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Thus far I've been getting all my protein from food.
  • glacierlilly1
    glacierlilly1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Whey protein shakes, meats, vegetables, eggs, fish, cottage cheese, milk, greek yogurt.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    jcard369 wrote: »
    What does everyone use for a protein. I’ve had about 12 different kinds and as of right now I use gnc wheybolic alpha. It’s starting to become a hassle spending $60 on a tub every 20 days. What’s some advice?? What’s good protein vs bad protein? Expensive proteins vs cheap proteins??

How much protein are you eating per day?

This^^

0.8 to 1.2 grams of protein per pound of LEAN BODY MASS is all your body can handle.

I disagree. That is the minimal for what you need not to be deficient, not for optimal performance, aesthetics, or health. Not only that, the body can handle much much more than that percentage. If the body couldn't, one would have explosive diarrhea when they consume more protien rate We absorb 100% of the protien we eat, how we utilize it is another story.

The amount of protien needed for optimal results is quite complex. Factors such as how male you are, how advanced age, how carnivorous, if we are eating in a deficit or surplus, and your health are will effect how much protien will be optimal.

A 58 year old female vegan powerlifter who has a autoimmune disease will need a more higher percentage of protien than a 19 year old male beef devouring healthy powerlifter when comparing LBM. As we age we are much more sensitive to not only the amount, but quality of protein.

LBM will hold slightly more weight when we are talking somebody who is quite overweight then somebody who is of average body fat.

The catch all for optimal protien intake for a person with average body fat who is resistance training with muscle synthesis is a gram per lb of bodyvweight. We adjust from there if needed.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    What does everyone use for a protein. I’ve had about 12 different kinds and as of right now I use gnc wheybolic alpha. It’s starting to become a hassle spending $60 on a tub every 20 days. What’s some advice?? What’s good protein vs bad protein? Expensive proteins vs cheap proteins??

This^^

0.8 to 1.2 grams of protein per pound of LEAN BODY MASS is all your body can handle.

I disagree. That is the minimal for what you need not to be deficient, not for optimal performance, aesthetics, or health.
    There's no way that 0.7-0.8 grams of protein per pound of LBM would not be enough to prevent a deficiency for most people. I can buy that if we're talking about doing several hours of resistance training plus extensive cardio each week. But for the average person who's doing less, I don't think that's right. A bit more protein may be optimal, but it should be enough to prevent deficiency.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

This^^

I disagree. That is the minimal for what you need not to be deficient, not for optimal performance, aesthetics, or health.
    There's no way that 0.7-0.8 grams of protein per pound of LBM would not be enough to prevent a deficiency for most people. I can buy that if we're talking about doing several hours of resistance training plus extensive cardio each week. But for the average person who's doing less, I don't think that's right. A bit more protein may be optimal, but it should be enough to prevent deficiency.

I didnt say most people. I actually stated specific groups whose protien goals are higher than not being in a deficiency. People who ARE resistance training, who want to optimism muscle synthesis those are the people I speak of.

Not beong in a state of deficiency doesn't equate to optimal results.

• Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10657380/mps-2-part-youtube-video#latest

I posted this but since it’s a long video series I don’t think people will watch it.

.8-1.6g per pound (not LBM) is shown in research to be optimal for MPS. Older populations, heavy resistance training, and caloric deficit push the amount up to higher end of this range. There is no negative side to health if normal person with even 1.6 as excess will just be converted to energy.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10657380/mps-2-part-youtube-video#latest

I posted this but since it’s a long video series I don’t think people will watch it.

.8-1.6g per pound (not LBM) is shown in research to be optimal for MPS. Older populations, heavy resistance training, and caloric deficit push the amount up to higher end of this range. There is no negative side to health if normal person with even 1.6 as excess will just be converted to energy.

Thanks for cross-posting the link to the videos.

I watched them and anyone who wants to be better informed on the topic should too.

FWIW, I don't think you're getting much attn there because few people know what "MPS" stands for.

If the title was captioned "Understanding Muscle Protein Synthesis," you'd probably have many pages of comments. ;)

• Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Okiludy wrote: »

Thanks for cross-posting the link to the videos.

I watched them and anyone who wants to be better informed on the topic should too.

FWIW, I don't think you're getting much attn there because few people know what "MPS" stands for.

If the title was captioned "Understanding Muscle Protein Synthesis," you'd probably have many pages of comments. ;)

Or maybe just “protein video”