Q and A Thread for all you awesome MFPeople.

Options
SideSteel
SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
edited April 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey!

This is intended as a Q and A thread. Every so often I do one of these and they usually turn out really well.

I'm a long time MFP user and I'm now a full time fitness professional and I really got my start here on MFP. This is my way of giving back to the community since it really was my activity here that lead me to pursue online coaching and personal training which I now enjoy.

Also, I totally get that when someone comes on here and they are like "hey everyone, ask me questions!" it can come across quite arrogant. Anyway that's not what this is about, but you are welcome to troll me about that.

Anyway, if you have diet and training related questions please feel free to fire away and I'll do what I can.

-Patrick

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,604 Member
    Options
    Hey Patrick, dad just hit his 78th birthday and is obese.

Has been hitting the Y for some treadmill walking and random let's use this machine for 5 reps sort of thing.

Has been resisting engaging a staff member for tips or programming. Cause he don't need **kitten** like this!

Any of the programs listed in psuLemon's FAQ that I should be looking at for him?
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Are the 30 minute circuit machines worth anything at the gym? Mine has an express circuit and I do it since I founder around the gym but unsure if it's worth anything. Thanks
  • SideSteel
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Has been hitting the Y for some treadmill walking and random let's use this machine for 5 reps sort of thing.

Has been resisting engaging a staff member for tips or programming. Cause he don't need **kitten** like this!

Any of the programs listed in psuLemon's FAQ that I should be looking at for him?

I actually haven't given that thread a detailed look. I'm sure @psuLemon would give excellent advice in that regard so I'll tag him and see if he has an opinion.

However, I'll also give you some criteria that I think would be good things to keep in mind.

I'm going to make the assumption that he is training for similar reasons to most people in his demographic? (Increase his overall fitness levels, improvements to bone density, lean mass, etc)

I'd probably want to make sure he's selecting exercises that are well within his limitations as far as technical complexity, mobility limitations, etc. So for example you're probably not putting him on stronglifts =)

I'd probably want him training every muscle group 2 times per week if it's realistic for his schedule.

I'd probably stay in the neighborhood of 10 to 15 reps per set, start at 1 set per exercise for the first few weeks and increase it to two after a couple of weeks.

Keep the relative intensity low (leave a few reps in the tank) to start, once he's able to complete 2x15, add weight the next session.

Anyway these are just really vague generalizations.
    I realize this isn't a great answer, but I've not looked at the entirety of the programs on the thread you're referring to.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    59, 5'8", 162 pounds. Been maintaining that for about 4 weeks, might slowly go 4 or 5 pounds lower, but pretty much where I want to be. Started the diet cutting too fast and lost some chest and shoulder muscles. Recomp or cut/bulk cycles (and why suggest one over the other)?
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2018
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

I actually haven't given that thread a detailed look. I'm sure @psuLemon would give excellent advice in that regard so I'll tag him and see if he has an opinion.

However, I'll also give you some criteria that I think would be good things to keep in mind.

I'm going to make the assumption that he is training for similar reasons to most people in his demographic? (Increase his overall fitness levels, improvements to bone density, lean mass, etc)

I'd probably want to make sure he's selecting exercises that are well within his limitations as far as technical complexity, mobility limitations, etc. So for example you're probably not putting him on stronglifts =)

I'd probably want him training every muscle group 2 times per week if it's realistic for his schedule.

I'd probably stay in the neighborhood of 10 to 15 reps per set, start at 1 set per exercise for the first few weeks and increase it to two after a couple of weeks.

Keep the relative intensity low (leave a few reps in the tank) to start, once he's able to complete 2x15, add weight the next session.

I realize this isn't a great answer, but I've not looked at the entirety of the programs on the thread you're referring to.

I was talking about @psuLemon 's strength training program thread. Not handy atm due to phone... but stronglifts, starting strength, strong curves, NRLFW, etc.

But thank you for the general tips... I'll apply them to me! :smiley:
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answer. I fall into the latter category of beginner and novice, and I've heard of all these lifting programs which sound intimidating. Posting my own thread seemed a bit much, so thanks for this
  • PAV8888
    Options
    59, 5'8", 162 pounds. Been maintaining that for about 4 weeks, might slowly go 4 or 5 pounds lower, but pretty much where I want to be. Started the diet cutting too fast and lost some chest and shoulder muscles. Recomp or cut/bulk cycles (and why suggest one over the other)?

Recomp because of your previous experiences of rapid loss and regain and history.

What would be optimal for muscle building in general is not necessarily optimal for each of us as individuals.
  • SideSteel
    Options

1) I'd be curious how fast you cut early on and how you are concluding you lost muscle?
    2) I would base your decision on your tolerance for gaining body fat and your current level of leanness mainly.

Perhaps this will help:

I think cutting and bulking cycles are probably a bit more efficient in the long run. If you can tolerate the dietary management and body weight changes (and body appearance changes) associated with cutting and bulking, I'd go that route and I would further base the decision on "should I cut or should I bulk" as follows:

- Do you feel fat? Do you want to be leaner? Do you think you are high teens or above in bodyfat%?
    Probably a good idea to cut.

- Do you want to be larger? Do you feel small? Do you think you are in the low teens or lower bodyfat%?
    Good time to bulk.

Now that this is out of the way though, there's really nothing wrong with hanging around maintenance. If you are able to train effectively (progressive overload and all) and you eat enough protein and you are able to stay near maintenance, good things are going to happen with your body composition.

If you are happy with your overall weight and you are patient, there's really nothing wrong with hovering around maintenance for a while.

I know I didn't directly answer you but those are the criteria I'd look at.

Let me know if this gives you any follow up questions please.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Thanks for the answer. I fall into the latter category of beginner and novice, and I've heard of all these lifting programs which sound intimidating. Posting my own thread seemed a bit much, so thanks for this

You're welcome and this is one reason I do this.

Keep in mind that many people start with one modality in fitness and as they get more experienced they move on to other things. It's perfectly normal and I'd say it's also a great thing. If you enjoy this type of training, I'd say go for it.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    I'd be curious how fast you cut early on and how you are concluding you lost muscle?

32 pounds in 65 days; from 223 to 191. Been yoyoing for years doing crash diets without really knowing better. My wife mentioned that she thinks my chest and shoulders are smaller than when I was last in reasonably good shape; I looked at it with a more critical eye and I think she is right. I know that does happen to people as they age and I turn 60 late this year, but I think I can still improve them. I don't want to bulk up like a body builder, just have a little more definition. I am looser just above the waist than I would like; there isn't much fat there but more than I would like.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I'd be curious how fast you cut early on and how you are concluding you lost muscle?

32 pounds in 65 days; from 223 to 191. Been yoyoing for years doing crash diets without really knowing better. My wife mentioned that she thinks my chest and shoulders are smaller than when I was last in reasonably good shape; I looked at it with a more critical eye and I think she is right. I know that does happen to people as they age and I turn 60 late this year, but I think I can still improve them. I don't want to bulk up like a body builder, just have a little more definition. I am looser just above the waist than I would like; there isn't much fat there but more than I would like.

Have you historically struggled to maintain a healthy bodyweight?
  • CarvedTones
    Options

Yes, but this time I am trying to be smarter about it. I am tracking and have no plans to stop. In the past, I would crash diet until I hit my goal and then try to be a natural eater and yoyo a few times trying to keep the weight by losing back to it every time I gained more than a few pounds and then I would let it slide too far. I lost about 60 this time. I lost about 55 4 or 5 years ago. Most of my cycles were more in the 20 to 30 pound range. This is the first time in about 35 years that I have made to normal BMI range. I have stayed within a couple of pounds for 4 weeks, which I never did before once I made goal. I am pretty determined to stay with it this time; I don't want to go into my 60s overweight.
  • CarvedTones
    Options

Yes, but this time I am trying to be smarter about it. I am tracking and have no plans to stop. In the past, I would crash diet until I hit my goal and then try to be a natural eater and yoyo a few times trying to keep the weight by losing back to it every time I gained more than a few pounds and then I would let it slide too far. I lost about 60 this time. I lost about 55 4 or 5 years ago. Most of my cycles were more in the 20 to 30 pound range. This is the first time in about 35 years that I have made to normal BMI range. I have stayed within a couple of pounds for 4 weeks, which I never did before once I made goal. I am pretty determined to stay with it this time; I don't want to go into my 60s overweight.

Respectfully, I would not recommend bulking.

I would celebrate the fact that you have accomplished what you've accomplished and I would make a continual effort to maintain bodyweight within a few lbs for quite a while.

I was leaning toward slow recomp. If I were to bulk, it would be by dropping to 155 and then stopping when i got back over 160. But I guess even a purposeful goal driven yoyo is still a yoyo and I have bad history with that.

Thanks for the responses!
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2018
    Options

I would celebrate the fact that you have accomplished what you've accomplished and I would make a continual effort to maintain bodyweight within a few lbs for quite a while.

I was leaning toward slow recomp. If I were to bulk, it would be by dropping to 155 and then stopping when i got back over 160. But I guess even a purposeful goal driven yoyo is still a yoyo and I have bad history with that.

This is exactly why I am suggesting the recomp, basically your last sentence.

You've struggled with losing and then maintaining and right now you have lost and are now maintaining.

Don't change a damn thing. Keep maintaining.

I agree with @sidesteel about maintaining.

I would love to hear his opinion though about how maintaining your weight while recomping looks like!

I personally think that a 3 - 5 lb swing for a day or two or three is not a big deal because it is predominantly water weight, not fat.

A 3+lb swing on a trending weight app, which represents an actual change to your base weight level over time, WOULD indicate a real change in weight, I would think

If recomping and eating at maintenance, presumably you would want to allow for as optimal muscle growth as possible without allowing for fat gain.

At how much extra weight would you pull the trigger to make a -250 change to your target food intake?

How can you tell if you're @carvedtones that you're achieving results and allow them to continue vs that you're allowing for fat regain?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

I was talking about @psuLemon 's strength training program thread. Not handy atm due to phone... but stronglifts, starting strength, strong curves, NRLFW, etc.

But thank you for the general tips... I'll apply them to me! :smiley:

I am pretty much on the same page as @SideSteel . Based on his age and his general goals, I would look at a program like: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

It's a very basic routine, of which, he could build upon as his body adapts and as he defines more specific goals (if he so desires). Additionally, he would be able to utilize this in a fashion that if he does want to progress to a barbell, it's easily substituted. And if he outgrows this program, he can certainly move onto a program like TLS; TLS is very similar to BLS but tends to run higher rep ranges and lower loads (65% 1RM vs 85% 1RM), and has a 3-4-5 day program for adaptability.
  • SideSteel
    Options

You've struggled with losing and then maintaining and right now you have lost and are now maintaining.

I would love to hear his opinion though about how maintaining your weight while recomping looks like!

I personally think that a 3 - 5 lb swing for a day or two or three is not a big deal because it is predominantly water weight, not fat.

A 3+lb swing on a trending weight app, which represents an actual change to your base weight level over time, WOULD indicate a real change in weight, I would think

If recomping and eating at maintenance, presumably you would want to allow for as optimal muscle growth as possible without allowing for fat gain.

At how much extra weight would you pull the trigger to make a -250 change to your target food intake?

How can you tell if you're @carvedtones that you're achieving results and allow them to continue vs that you're allowing for fat regain?

In a previous thread I think I read that the OP weighs every other day or 3 times per week if I recall correctly. In his case I would average those values and I'd probably want to stay within about 1.5% to 2% of BW. So for someone who weighs 200lbs I think a 3-4lb swing in AVERAGE weight is a decent tolerance.

You obviously want to allow SOME wiggle room but you also have to draw a line somewhere and decide "hey I'm actually not eating the right amount of calories here" to prevent weight regain.
  • CarvedTones
    Options

In a previous thread I think I read that the OP weighs every other day or 3 times per week if I recall correctly. In his case I would average those values and I'd probably want to stay within about 1.5% to 2% of BW. So for someone who weighs 200lbs I think a 3-4lb swing in AVERAGE weight is a decent tolerance.

You obviously want to allow SOME wiggle room but you also have to draw a line somewhere and decide "hey I'm actually not eating the right amount of calories here" to prevent weight regain.

I have tended to have pretty small swings during the last few months of losing (at a more sane rate) and learning to maintain. I think I am averaging a very slight deficit right now. I don't log most of my exercise. I walk at a decent clip (around 3 mph) about 90 minutes a day recently and do some dumbbell work (which I will be increasing). My numbers versus calculators make me think I have experienced some adaptive thermogenesis; maybe 200 calories. My watch/app says I burn over 400 each day. I figure about 100 is stuff that is in my sedentary baseline, but I seem to be burning just below 2000 a day. That would mean sedentary is around 1700, while the calculator figures 1910.