HELP! I NEED IRON

Options
I really CANNOT seem to reach my Iron target at all!
I got my blood tests back from the doctor yesterday and I'm iron deficient.
but I HATE supplements! They make me feel horrible in the tummy!

What do people do about this? I don't really eat much red meat, or almonds...I eat a lot of greens, but 4 cups of spinach a day? seems a little ridiculous to mee...

Replies

• RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I take Blackmore's Bio Iron several days a week - apparently it's easily bio-available and unlikely to cause side effects. I've certainly not experienced any problems with it.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    To boost the amount of iron in your diet, try these foods:

Red meat
    Egg yolks
    Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)
    Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
    Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)
    Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)
    Turkey or chicken giblets
    Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
    Liver
    Artichokes
    And here's a tip: If you eat iron-rich foods along with foods that provide plenty of vitamin C, your body can better absorb the iron.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    If your worried about your sugar levels - watch eating a lot of dried fruit.

I mix baby spinach in with my romaine lettuce; a salad for me is about 7 cups.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Liver - low in fat, high in iron.

...and don't fall into the Popeye trap - spinach is low in iron, they mis-read the figures!
  • Nikkiairforcewife
    Nikkiairforcewife Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Occasionally I add molasses to the twins' oatmeal to boost their iron and sweeten it at the same time. My oftentimes iron-deficient sister had recently learned about the good iron in molasses and passed that on to me. It's some strong tasting stuff though if you're not used to it.

I agree with the post from killagb. Those are the foods that come to mind. And taking your iron alongside vitamin C helps your body better absorb it.
  • Nikkiairforcewife
    Nikkiairforcewife Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    And another thought, you can add fresh spinach to so many things.

I like to blend 2 cups of it with 3/4 c. orange juice and 1 banana for a low-cal smoothie (213 calories).

I have a friend who chops up fresh spinach and puts it in homemade rolls.

Yesterday I chopped up a cup and added it to my egg white omelet. I didn't hardly notice it was even there. Experiment a little!
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    And here's a tip: If you eat iron-rich foods along with foods that provide plenty of vitamin C, your body can better absorb the iron.

... and don't drink tea or milk in the run-up, during or just after your meal as they both apparently inhibit iron absorption.
  • azingale
    azingale Posts: 74
    Options
    Spinach doesn't have that much iron, sadly.

Frosted shredded mini-wheats have LOTS of iron.

I use blackstrap molasses - good hit of iron.

Other leafy greens than spinach are good.

Lentils are a good bet. Pinto beans are loaded with all kinds of nutrients.

Sundried tomatoes have some iron!

Those are all things I hit up when I'm not hitting my RDA of iron...
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Also avoid eating calcium rich foods, caffeine or grape juice (other fruit juices are great for helping iron-absorption) at the same time as your iron-rich foods as these inhibit iron absorption. It's still fine to eat all these foods but try to leave a gap between them and your iron-rich foods. If you take a calcium supplement take it at a different time of day from your iron supplement.

The iron supplement I take when I need it is called Spatone. You mix it in fruit juice and it is very gentle on the stomach.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Floradix is a herbal iron supplement which is much kinder on the tummy. I have the same problems as you and this was my solution. It can be bought as tablets or syrup. Hope that helps!
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Hemaplex and I always take it with my vitamin C after a meal. No tummy upset and my levels were up considerably when I had my levels checked last week!
  • vitacat
    vitacat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Look for a supplement called spatone, it's a sachet of mineral water with iron and you simply add it to fruit juice and drink it. There are no side effects at all. If you are in the UK it's on special offer in Boots at the moment.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I have tried spatone too. It seemed good. Only thing that put me off was the taste.
  • sjostrich
    sjostrich Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've heard you can get iron by cooking foods in an iron skillet rather than a frying pan - all the iron-y goodness without the icky supplement tablets.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Again with the frosted mini-wheats if you're watching carbs/calories/sugar it isn't a super good choice. I'm a cereal lover and that was one I had to give up. Read the labels and/or do research through google.
  • Valechka
    Valechka Posts: 192
    Options
    Same here.... Always low on Iron and Potassium as well....