Trying to live sans alcohol

Options
I'm an alcoholic in recovery. Not sure if this the the right forum for this discussion. I've battled alcohol addiction for about 7 years, with multiple relapses. Currently I am in a relationship that is and has made my struggle more difficult. The reality that many people drink makes it difficult for me to judge, along with my own difficulties which make it also difficult to judge. On some levels being with someone who drinks ( in my perception on a self destructive level) is making me question whether this relationship is something I should continue. It's hard for me to give up on this person again because of my own struggles, in the past not wanting someone to give up on me. I am seeking advice, maybe someone is or has been in a similar situation. Do I end it? Scared the destructive behavior will get worse for him. But at the same time it is making me feel like I am living in an addict lifestyle. If anyone struggling currently from addiction or loves someone struggling can shed some light I would appreciate any wisdom.

Replies

• andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It hurts like hell, and it might make you feel like you are an awful person in the beginning, but it is for the best for both of you <3
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    I've sent you a PM...
  • skinnygirly23
    skinnygirly23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It is difficult to find someone who doesn't drink at all so I forgave it and saw it as my own personal struggle.

Latley, he has been displaying aggressive behavior when drinking and it makes me remember my own behaviors when intoxicated.

This person does struggle with addiction, but was never an alcoholic (according to his own definition). Something has gotta give though or I'll be living the lifestyle I so wanted to leave behind.
  • skinnygirly23
    Options
    If you don't end it, at least draw a line in the sand. That may end it anyway, but an ultimatum would at least force the other person to decide what is most important. BTW, day 286 for me, third attempt (hopefully, third time is the charm).

That's awesome! Almost a year! Keep up the good work. Guess I'm still having a problem with creating boundaries.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking these steps to improve your life. I'm guessing you have joined an AA or NA support group. If not, I highly reccomend it. They don't just offer support to the actual addict, they also have groups specifically for family members to get the advice and support THEY need, whether the other person has decided to go into recovery or not.
  • skinnygirly23
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    Congratulations on taking these steps to improve your life. I'm guessing you have joined an AA or NA support group. If not, I highly reccomend it. They don't just offer support to the actual addict, they also have groups specifically for family members to get the advice and support THEY need, whether the other person has decided to go into recovery or not.

I was involved and do believe in these support groups. When I did go back he wouldn't go and was jealous of me being in there around the opposite sex. I need to get back into it, it did help me a lot. Time to put myself first, this addition is real and I cant take it lightly or I will be back to where I were before.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    You have every right to put your health and happiness first to make sure you stay sober. If that means setting a standard where you prefer a mate who doesn't drink, you should do that. Perhaps you should discuss this with a group at an AA meeting or with a counselor and get some good sound advice.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    It is difficult to find someone who doesn't drink at all so I forgave it and saw it as my own personal struggle.

Latley, he has been displaying aggressive behavior when drinking and it makes me remember my own behaviors when intoxicated.

This person does struggle with addiction, but was never an alcoholic (according to his own definition). Something has gotta give though or I'll be living the lifestyle I so wanted to leave behind.

Ha. Reminds me of an ex who claimed his brother, who drank everyday, had a problem, but he did not, as he only drank on Sundays. Well, he might have only (mostly) gotten black out drunk on Sundays, but he also drank on Saturday night, and every time he went to a concert (which was a lot), etc.

Previously to that, when I stopped drinking heavily and my ex husband did not, the marriage did not survive that. A lot of our social life was built around other heavy drinkers, and once I quit I was no longer interested in the same circle. Also, I could no longer sleep through his snoring and moved into another bedroom, and the distance just kept growing.

The man I'm with now is a very very moderate drinker and I don't think that in the in 5 years we've been together I've ever seen him drunk.
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    There's no difference between drug abuse and alcohol abuse. Someone who has a drug addiction has no business drinking alcohol. Sure, it's probably difficult to find a partner who NEVER drinks, but people who don't ABUSE alcohol or drugs aren't uncommon. The question is whether you're far enough along in your recovery to have a partner who drinks at all. No question, though, that your SO is an alcohol abuser. I don't see how he's good for your health at all. Take the best care of yourself. Hugs.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options

Big honking red flag there. Love yourself and commit to being safe - in your own recovery, and in your relationships.
  • SusanKKO
    SusanKKO Posts: 45 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    As others have said, the jealousy/controlling behavior is a no go and it sounds like you aren’t happy and can do better. Life is too short to waste time with the wrong partner. Find someone else or be happy single for a while. It’s fine to support the person as a friend, but there needs to be a high bar to qualify someone to be a life partner. Trust me, being with someone who has their stuff together makes life so much easier and drama free! Best of luck! Trust your instincts.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    The answer is so simple, but probably not what you want to hear. Take care of you. Don't drink. Go to meetings.