Rest days and running

Options
xLyric
xLyric Posts: 840 Member
I'm a few weeks into a 10k program and run about 45 minutes 3 times a week. There's never any more than 2 days in between, and I read that any more rest than that and you'll set yourself back.

This is day 3 of a weird work schedule, and I really don't feel up to running because I'm so tired. This would be my 3rd rest day if I don't run tonight. I get 10k+ steps at work, though, so it's not like I'm laying around.

Which is worse, running tonight even though I'm tired, or running tomorrow, not as tired but after 3 days of no running? Will it actually set me back enough that it would be worse than an exhausted run?

No matter the answer, I'm 99 percent sure I'm not getting on that treadmill tonight, haha, I'm just curious whether there's really a 3 day (or whatever) rule or not.

Replies

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I find I am really sore and stiff during my next run if I have more than 2 rest days in a row. When I do run I'm slower than normal and have to stop frequently to stretch out tight calves and quads. Takes about 3 miles/5K to start feeling properly warmed up (vs about 1 mile/1.6km if I've been running according to schedule).
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I find I am really sore and stiff during my next run if I have more than 2 rest days in a row. When I do run I'm slower than normal and have to stop frequently to stretch out tight calves and quads. Takes about 3 miles/5K to start feeling properly warmed up (vs about 1 mile/1.6km if I've been running according to schedule).

Thanks! How would you compare that soreness to a day of running when you're super fatigued? I guess I'd probably prefer to be dragging than in pain.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You're not rearranging your whole routine. Honestly, one day isn't going to make a big difference. Take an extra rest day if needed, then get back on schedule and stick with it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    xLyric wrote: »
    I'm just curious whether there's really a 3 day (or whatever) rule or not.

Broadly it's a question of building on the developing aerobic capacity. You essentially start to lose the benefit after about 2 days.

It's more a principle of programme design than the specifics of where you are now. I'd avoid designing a programme with consistent 3 day gaps, as the person I'm designing for wouldn't make as much progress as they could.

I'd also observe that if you're on a 10K plan and your sessions are only 45 minutes long then you're unlikely to be more than half way through the programme, so you've plenty of time to recover any disruption now.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

Thanks! How would you compare that soreness to a day of running when you're super fatigued? I guess I'd probably prefer to be dragging than in pain.

Hmm that's a good question. I'm almost always super tired due to having youngish kids who don't sleep well and being a night owl on an early schedule out of necessity.

I can usually power through when I'm fatigued, though I still will be slower than normal.

Taking 3 rest days in a row once in a blue moon likely won't hinder your progress too much. I did that once in a while due to my various scheduling issues when I was doing the 10K training plan.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I'm a few weeks into a 10k program and run about 45 minutes 3 times a week. There's never any more than 2 days in between, and I read that any more rest than that and you'll set yourself back.

This is day 3 of a weird work schedule, and I really don't feel up to running because I'm so tired. This would be my 3rd rest day if I don't run tonight. I get 10k+ steps at work, though, so it's not like I'm laying around.

Which is worse, running tonight even though I'm tired, or running tomorrow, not as tired but after 3 days of no running? Will it actually set me back enough that it would be worse than an exhausted run?

No matter the answer, I'm 99 percent sure I'm not getting on that treadmill tonight, haha, I'm just curious whether there's really a 3 day (or whatever) rule or not.

When in doubt, go for the rest day. One extra day of rest one time because you feel beat up and your schedule is unforgiving won't hurt you that much aerobically. Running when you're dead tired could mean you run with poor form, particularly if you don't have strong base of running. Poor form or pushing through being dead tired just because the plan says to run today is a way to get repetitive motion injuries. Repetitive motion injuries are a way to miss a lot more of running than one day.

Some of my PR races have come after really screwed up training weeks, missing 2 or 3 days of running due to travel and weather. Rest is truly the most under-appreciated part of training. You don't make progress by working hard; you make progress by recovering well *after* working hard.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's really the unanswerable question. Try it 3 days this time and next time try it superfatigued and see which works best for you. We each have different preferances and our bodies respond differently. They respond differently on different days. The important thing is that you're following a plan and you'll keep progressing either way.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I do power walks for recovery. I can still get a mild cardio, and help my legs recover from running.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    It's not a hard and fast rule. It's not like you'll get out after 3 days rest and wonder WTF happened to your running ability or anything like that. It's more that extended rest periods will slow your progress within a finite time frame. If you remain relatively diligent with your training protocol, it'll all work out over the long term, despite some longer periods of rest.

In fact, longer periods of rest can do wonders for runners since the effect of cumulative mileage can take a toll on your body and a longer rest period will give you some time to fully recover. There's a reason that most distance training programs have a longish taper period right before the event in question.

That said, note that occasionally running while tired (not in pain, mind you, just fatigued) is actually pretty good for your training. One thing that many new runners struggle with is learning how to run when already tired and taking shorter/easier recovery runs after a stressful workout is a good way to do that. I also find that a quick recovery run actually makes me feel physically better, too. Nothing helps a sore muscle like moving it around a bit.