Training for 50 mile bike ride

Options
Hi all I decided at the beginning of year to do the London to Brighton bike ride . I currently only ride my bike to work and back about 5 miles round trip.. not 55miles. I was wondering for anyone who is currently training or has trained in the past for long bike ride could give me some pointers please? And if you were training now if you fancy a virtual buddy?

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I've never really had any set training goal to add mileage in a certain time frame, but have done a number of 50+ mile rides, usually more just timed based on my free time and weather.

But either way, the only way to add distance is to add distance. Depending on your fitness level you may well be able to go much farther currently then you think you would. If not, gradually build your cardio base and leg strength to support the distance and pace you want to reach.

Also consider the extra support needed for long distances if riding by yourself. Tire repair gear, more fluids and solid fuel at some point, as well as possible pick up if you suffer damage to your bike that you can't repair or limp home. For most people, fuel will become more important at a set distance/pace. Generally you want to fuel as you go rather than wait until you are too much at an energy loss. Eat and drink before you need to to replenish calories you are burning. Bike fit and adjustments you might not notice at shorter distances can go from minor notices or annoyances to painful experiences or pace killers if not addressed.

More info on your specific ride might help others with specific training methods or goals and timeframes. And hopefully bring up some items other than what I have mentioned. Have fun, stay safe, and go ride your ride!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The BHF site has a couple of training plans;

www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/events/london-to-brighton-bike-ride/training-zone/cycling-training-plans

The main thing is to get time in the saddle, adapt to it. There are a couple of fairly tough climbs on that route, so include climbing in your training.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    newway2b wrote: »
    Hi all I decided at the beginning of year to do the London to Brighton bike ride . I currently only ride my bike to work and back about 5 miles round trip.. not 55miles. I was wondering for anyone who is currently training or has trained in the past for long bike ride could give me some pointers please? And if you were training now if you fancy a virtual buddy?

As others have said, the way to train to go more distance is to add more distance.

I am a weekend rider and regularly ride on weekends 20-60mi (30-100km.) But I'm also a fair weather rider, so if it's nasty outside, I'll go take a spin class.

I do second the concerns about fueling along the ride. If I'm riding at an 18-20mph clip, I'll burn 1000 calories in an hour. At some point, I need to start putting some fuel back into my body. Might just be a banana or apple, or a sports drink like a Gatorade or similar, especially if it's hot outside and I'm sweating as I ride.

Make sure your bike fits, as you'll be on it 3-4 hours I suspect. Make sure you have comfortable bike clothing to wear for that time period, and make sure you have a plan to refuel and hydrate over that time period.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,166 Member
    Options
    My basic approach was to cycle further and further distances. Lots of time in the saddle will help as it will not only strengthen your muscles, it will also get you used to sitting on the bike that long, and trust me, 50 miles is not the same as short commuter rides when it comes to your sit bones.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Hills. Long slow hills. Practice them.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Second the suggestion above to look at the British Heart Foundation training plans, they are very good and worked well for me. As is their organisation on the day. I did a London to Bath ride for BHF and it was brilliant. Really well thought out route.

You definitely will need to do more long rides to acclimatise to the hours in the saddle.

The roads and scenery are lovely between the North and South Downs but the hills are challenging. Enjoy the view from Ditchling Beacon (when you get your breath back!). I'm training for a Royal Marsden (cancer hospital) Brighton and back event in May so will be covering some of the same roads for sure.

You might find Strava useful to track your progress.

Send a friend request if you like, very happy to help a fellow cyclist - especially one cycling for a cause close to my heart. (Excuse the pun!)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already, get a fitting for you and your bike. There are two obstacles to riding that sort of distance: having enough energy to finish, and being comfortable enough on your bike to finish. Having the bike fit to you helps you about issues that may not be apparent on shorter rides, like if the dimensions of the bike force you into the wrong posture.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    This is pretty much what I use when I'm training for a 1/2 century...not exactly, but I use this for a template to follow in general.

Week Monday Wednesday Weekend Weekly total

Week 1 6 miles 9 miles 12 miles 27 miles
    Week 2 9 miles 12 miles 20 miles 41 miles
    Week 3 12 miles 12 miles 25 miles 49 miles
    Week 4 12 miles 20 miles 28 miles 60 miles
    Week 5 13 miles 25 miles 30 miles 68 miles
    Week 6 13 miles 25 miles 35 miles 73 miles
    Week 7 15 miles 30 miles 40 miles 85 miles
    Week 8 20 miles 30 miles 50 miles 100 miles

I ride about 50 miles per week just for general fitness so I start with week 4. This ramps up rather quickly so you may want to double up on certain weeks or add miles more slowly if you're not used to cycling a lot.

I often have to break up some of these rides and add an extra day or even 2 due to time constraints, but I make sure I'm getting long rides towards the end of at least 35-40 miles. If you can ride 85-100 miles per week, you'll be pretty comfortable on your 1/2 IMO. Make sure you include some climbing on your rides.

Also, get a bike fit if you haven't already. Nothing worse than logging miles with an improper fit.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I'll basically second what everyone else has said. I would also say, figure out how to eat and drink on the bike well before your ride. Not just literally how to do it but what you're going to eat, how it makes you feel, when you think you might need it, etc. Also practice changing a flat. I'm assuming there will be support at the event, but it's a good think to know how to do in general - especially if you end up having a flat while you're training for the event.

Lastly, invest in bike shorts (or bib shorts) and remember to wear them without underwear (doing otherwise would defeat the purpose.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    This might sound crazy, but I bet you could bike that distance without significant training! I'm not a biker at all, and on a trip to Miami with my husband, we rented bikes and biked down to a couple keys and back without a problem! 43 miles round trip. It was glorious, and that was on crappy rental bikes. Enjoy your awesome trip!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Ok as folks have said use the provided training plan organizers do know what they are doing. Start lengthening your rides.

On actual day-commando under padded women specific bike shorts is the way to go. No chafing.
  • newway2b
    newway2b Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I feel inspired to get going now. I did a 8 mile bike ride after work today.got super hungry so will need to eat often it seems. Need to get padded pant things. It all feel a bit heavy on my hybrid. .. I may have to explore using my mountain bike. How to I carry everything?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    newway2b wrote: »
    Thank you everyone. I feel inspired to get going now. I did a 8 mile bike ride after work today.got super hungry so will need to eat often it seems. Need to get padded pant things. It all feel a bit heavy on my hybrid. .. I may have to explore using my mountain bike. How to I carry everything?

Well done.
    Tyres make a huge difference on hybrids and mountain bikes, swapping knobbly off road tyres for road tyres reduces rolling resistance markedly. As does the right tyre pressure of course!

The trick is to carry as little as possible. I may even have resorted to weighing two one pound coins to see if they weight less than a single two pound coin.... :wink:

"Sleeves" & "legs" make a great lightweight additions for long rides to cope with variations in temperature and pack down really small when not needed.
    Example - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/arm-leg-warmers/

There's food and drink stops along the way so no need to carry all your food and drink for the entire day, just enough to get to the next stop.

A cycling jersey has big back pockets you can stuff things in.

A small saddlebag and your pockets should be enough - otherwise there's a good chance you are simply taking too much stuff.
  • aokoye
    Options
    In terms of carrying things, I carry two tubes, a CO2 pump and cartridge(s), tire lever, patch kit, smallish multi-tool, and a few dollars in my saddle bag. All of my food (mainly gels or chews) goes in the back pockets of my jersey. My phone and keys typically also go in my saddle bag and when I'm carrying a mini pump that isn't my small CO2 one it also goes in a jersey pocket.

You can also turn a water bottle into a tool container of sorts of buy a ready made one like this.

The hunger thing is going to be a bit personal I think. I personally don't get hungry after 8 miles (and don't eat anything on the bike if I'm doing 8 miles) but I will eat a large protein heavy sandwich after 40. After an hour to an hour and a half on the bike inside I typically just eat dinner (or lunch) and go on with my day as normal. That isn't to say I won't eat back most of the calories I expended, but it won't be a, "I need to eat NOW!" sort of thing. There will be people here, I suspect, who would do something totally different depending on their physiological needs.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I just came back into cycling after a couple of decades away. Family bought me a nice new bike as a retirement/Christmas gift, to pedal my way into a much healthier place.

In the old days, I put a lot of miles on a touring bike, and carried a lot of stuff around with me when doing anything other than a loop around town. I was a good Boy Scout ("be prepared") gone OCD, LOL.

Now, I myself *AM* the load I'm carrying around, and I'm changing my tune to a more minimalistic everyday carry.

Small underseat saddlebag with multitool, tube/levers and/or patch kit (varies), oddments kit (disc brake spacer, zip ties, $20, etc., in a hardshell eyeglasses sportcase that keeps things organized in the saddlebag). A small handlebar bag with my cell phone (doubles as a gps/ride recorder and of course, camera), "cafe security cable and padlock" (keeps the honest folk honest while you buy coffee or use a trailside porta potty), small first aid pack ("cuts kit" basically), tissues, tiny notepad and pen, sportsglasses for reading, etc. For on-road riding, I've got front and rear "be seen" blinky lights and wear a hi-vis bandolier. Helmet and gloves and sunglasses; water bottle and small pump on the frame [I'm on the fence about CO2]. I've had a Clif bar in the handlebag since January, haven't seen the need to use it, and, frankly, it's starting to look a little crumpled.

As my range gets longer, the weather more variable and I'm starting into more remote rail trails, I'm adding a small trunk bag for a robust U-lock, second water bottle, packable jacket, small sunscreen, bannanas/snacks, etc. Nothing like the load I used to hall around (of course, modern tech replaces a heavy dedicated camera and some other obsolete things). It may turn out that having a trunk bag eliminates the need for the handlebar bag. We'll see.

I made up a paracord necklace with a homemade "ride ID" (inkjet-printed photo ID with medical conditions/emergency contacts/etc., sealed into a "self-laminating" card envelope from Staples), spare car key [I lock the car at the trail head and carry a spare valet key with me], spare house key, padlocks keys [I'm at the age where my eyes struggle with the tiny numbers on combo locks if I don't have reading glasses], and a life jacket whistle (my other major activity is sailing).

I have found a source of plus-sized cycling apparel. Now that I have actual cycling jerseys with back pockets, I'm trying to re-imagine what to carry where to make good use of them, LOL. While I didn't wear padded cycling shorts back in the day and was OK, I do now. I've gotten tenderer in my old age, LOL. Wouldn't ride without them.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Funny thing: YouTube suggested the following three vids today. From GCN ("Global Cycling Network"), one of my subscriptions:

"How to Ride 50 Miles" ... https://youtu.be/bHxLQhQryZc

"How to Ride Long Distances" ... https://youtu.be/8TTGRLcXFyk

"How to Train for Long Rides" ... https://youtu.be/GvZzgeIBh68

FYI and good luck.
  • MrSmooth2017
    MrSmooth2017 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    All been said before but don't underestimate how much energy you will need, and how much water you need.

You can do 50 miles. I started doing 5 miles in July last year, and was doing 50 by October. I took my kids (10 and 8) who at the start could only do a mile or two, and by November one of them did 30 miles with me.

Take breakfast bars, bananas, anything with a lot of energy but light (flapjacks etc).

Start of with canal towpaths and fairly flat rides, and add a hill in every so often.

Look at some group rides (HSBC etc) and sign up for a few. You will be surprised how the miles can just go when you are with others.

Plan your rides, and try and do circular routes that you can get home within a few miles if you need to, but go as far as you can when you are out. You can start increasing the distance as you get better. Always try and vary your routes.

Take the bike out in the car, and drive to some places you want to see and cycle around them. Theres nothing worse than a boring bike ride.

Give yourself plenty of time, start early if you can, and good luck!!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    This might sound crazy, but I bet you could bike that distance without significant training! I'm not a biker at all, and on a trip to Miami with my husband, we rented bikes and biked down to a couple keys and back without a problem! 43 miles round trip. It was glorious, and that was on crappy rental bikes. Enjoy your awesome trip!

That would seem quite unpleasant IMO. Not sure how you were riding, but I typically finish a 50 mile ride in about 3-3.5 hours depending on terrain and other conditions. I've done quite a few cycling events and train for them and I'm still pretty knackered by the end. Of course, those are different than my cycling wine tours, etc which are done at a very leisurely pace. Most tour events and whatnot are timed and you only get so much time on the course...and then of course there's the competition...even if it's not a true race, I'm still wanting to do my best.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, yes it took us all day! From 7am until 7pm. Lots of breaks, lots of sunscreen! I'm sure we were exhausted but looking back at it, now 3 years ago, I only have glowing memories! Haha!
  • aokoye
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    Small underseat saddlebag with multitool, tube/levers and/or patch kit (varies), oddments kit (disc brake spacer, zip ties, $20, etc., in a hardshell eyeglasses sportcase that keeps things organized in the saddlebag). A small handlebar bag with my cell phone (doubles as a gps/ride recorder and of course, camera), "cafe security cable and padlock" (keeps the honest folk honest while you buy coffee or use a trailside porta potty), small first aid pack ("cuts kit" basically), tissues, tiny notepad and pen, sportsglasses for reading, etc. For on-road riding, I've got front and rear "be seen" blinky lights and wear a hi-vis bandolier. Helmet and gloves and sunglasses; water bottle and small pump on the frame [I'm on the fence about CO2]. I've had a Clif bar in the handlebag since January, haven't seen the need to use it, and, frankly, it's starting to look a little crumpled.

As my range gets longer, the weather more variable and I'm starting into more remote rail trails, I'm adding a small trunk bag for a robust U-lock, second water bottle, packable jacket, small sunscreen, bannanas/snacks, etc. Nothing like the load I used to hall around (of course, modern tech replaces a heavy dedicated camera and some other obsolete things). It may turn out that having a trunk bag eliminates the need for the handlebar bag. We'll see.

I made up a paracord necklace with a homemade "ride ID" (inkjet-printed photo ID with medical conditions/emergency contacts/etc., sealed into a "self-laminating" card envelope from Staples), spare car key [I lock the car at the trail head and carry a spare valet key with me], spare house key, padlocks keys [I'm at the age where my eyes struggle with the tiny numbers on combo locks if I don't have reading glasses], and a life jacket whistle (my other major activity is sailing).

I have found a source of plus-sized cycling apparel. Now that I have actual cycling jerseys with back pockets, I'm trying to re-imagine what to carry where to make good use of them, LOL. While I didn't wear padded cycling shorts back in the day and was OK, I do now. I've gotten tenderer in my old age, LOL. Wouldn't ride without them.
    Yeah CO2 has gotten me out of a pinch a few times and I've helped someone else out with a flat once with one (he refused to give me anything less than $20 in thanks despite my telling him it was way too much), but I am starting to carry a small hand pump in one of my jersey pockets. I figure, there will be a time when I wish I had it and it's not obtrusive enough to warrant not carrying it. That said you cary way more things than I do!

I also have a RoadID which I wear 24/7. I finally broke down and bought new bib shorts today after an appointment. So much grumbling from me at the price which was the 15$ more than the not-bib shorts I was also thinking about, and maybe $20 more than the Pearl Izumi shorts I am replacing (I have four pairs that I will likely replace over the next 6 months). Yes I bought Castelli so that's expensive, but it was the same price as the other not Pearl Izumi brands that they had (I didn't go to REI which has brands that are less expensive). I have also learned that likely even at goal weight I will probably not fit into a large - because Castelli. I'm 200lbs and wear pants with a 36 inch waist and an XL was somewhat tight over underwear (but will be fine without). Given that my goal weight is 160ish I suspect XL is where I will stay as far as Castelli is concerned.

I should note too that I have been doing most of my riding inside which is exponentially less comfortable than riding outside. I still wear padded shorts outside, but I suspect if I was riding outside exclusively I would have gotten a few more months out of my current selection of shorts without my body demanding I get new ones.