Levothyroxine and weight GAIN?

Options
2»

Replies

• nancypetrina
    nancypetrina Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have literally the exact same story. I went to the DR in February, got my levels tested (came back just under normal), and was put on Levothyroxine. I went back for my checkup yesterday and i gained 6 lbs! Granted, last time I was there I was weighed in the morning and yesterday it was at 5pm. I am also hungry ALL The time!! I generally eat pretty well and I exercise every day. I know there are times when I probably eat more than I should, but definitely not enough to gain 6 pounds in a short amount of time. It's really weird. Could it be causing water retention? I am only 5'2'' and all of my clothes still fit- 6 pounds on someone my size generally shows when we try to button our pants lol
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I kept gaining weight after I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease) and started taking Synthroid. Once I started logging everything I eat accurately & honestly, I realized I was eating too much. (I'm always hungry.)

I lost way more slowly than most MFPers (20 lbs. in a year), but I did it just like everybody else—by eating at a deficit.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Also, I've read that taking Levo at night before bed (assuming you haven't eaten for at least one hour) works very well. I tried taking mine at night, and did feel much better-- unfortunately, summer time has equaled snack time...my stomach is never empty at bedtime. :embarassed:

I keep mine in a little dixie cup on my nightstand and take it whenever I wake up in the middle of the night. I don't have to worry about meals/caffeine/dairy, etc. when I do it this way. I mentioned to my endo at my last appointment that this is how I take mine, and she said it's perfect.

Now if you sleep through the night, it obviously won't work. :wink:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Also, I've read that taking Levo at night before bed (assuming you haven't eaten for at least one hour) works very well. I tried taking mine at night, and did feel much better-- unfortunately, summer time has equaled snack time...my stomach is never empty at bedtime. :embarassed:

I keep mine in a little dixie cup on my nightstand and take it whenever I wake up in the middle of the night. I don't have to worry about meals/caffeine/dairy, etc. when I do it this way. I mentioned to my endo at my last appointment that this is how I take mine, and she said it's perfect.

Now if you sleep through the night, it obviously won't work. :wink:

That's a great idea-- I already keep it on my desk in my bedroom--
  • JillLynnJohnston
    JillLynnJohnston Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was started on 25 mcg of levothyroxine by a stand-in OB/GYN (could not get in to see mine) who wanted to "tweak" my thyroid since I was so fat. I went along with it, but it did absolutely nothing. That was about five years go. 225 pounds lost later, I have had extreme thinning of my hair and just saw an endocrinologist yesterday, also constipation/severe gas (sometimes associated with hypothyroidism).

The endocrinologist's office just advised me to stop taking the levothyroxine after looking at my serum thyroid studies. OH MY GOSH! I am scared, even though every one of my 225 pounds was lost through GREAT intention! Not this silly pill.

My doctor said my hair loss could be from the shock of my weight loss, even though it has been with excellent nutrition and lots of cardiovascular exercise (mostly running). I am freezing all the time, and again it was attributed to my weight loss (my "insulation" is gone).

My hair loss, it turns out, could actually be from taking levothyroxine. I am just so scared that coming off of this medication could somehow be detrimental to my weight loss. I have easily maintained my weight for nine months after making lifelong changes, but what if I "psych" myself out or something??
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Don't panic! You lost the weight by logging everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly—and you will keep it off the same way.

You have all the skills you need to maintain your weight—you've done it for nine months already. As you've already learned, your weight will fluctuate in maintenance. Do not let it freak you out.

Feel free to friend me.
  • kevinsmithrn
    kevinsmithrn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've had Hashimotos for years and my pre- medicated tsh level was unbelievable. In my experience the levo will only suppress the sluggishness and thus allow you to excercise. Most people think it's the answer to their obesity - nothing can be further from the truth. More important than how u take it - an hour before breakfast etc.. Just always take it the same way - that way your md can adjust your medicine and it can stay adjusted. I take 250 mcg and I get up take my meds - take a shower - dress then eat breakfast... Elapsed time around 20 mins - if I waited a bit longer then ate I could probably get my dose age down a bit - but this has worked for me for years. The biggest change I notice is mental clarity - when my tsh is off it's difficult to remember the easy things - like u have yo think harder than usual to remember a name or perform a simple math operation - excercise does more for energy level than levo ever did. Good Luck!
  • kyame1971
    kyame1971 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, I gained 30 lbs after being on the med for 6 months. I was also hospitalized and had heart palpitations. Doctor that prescribed stated my dosage was so low it couldn't possibly cause weight gain or heart palpitations. It must be because I'm eating too many carbs and not exercising enough. Got another opinion and an endocrinologist determined that my thyroid was normal and never should have been given med. A Rheumatologist diagnosed rheumatoid arthritis, which is an autoimmune disorder. She also tested my thyroid and determined it was normal. Cardiologist and endocrinologist both confirmed this med could cause these issues especially if thyroid is normal. I was also active and following a low carb low fat Mediterranean diet. After seeing cardiologist, endocrinologist and rheumatologist I'm convinced it was the levothyroxine that caused my weight gain and heart palpitations. Now the heart palpitations are gone. Receiving treatment for the other issues due to RA and changed to a anti-inflammatory diet. Still doing moderate to vigorous exercise daily. Hoping to see weight loss soon.
  • cameronita1
    cameronita1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I just started Levo after 4 years of being off of it. I was on Nature Throid and gained weight. I take Cytomel with my Levo and so far have noticed no weight gain. But if I do I will tell my doctor I want something else. She also has me on biodentical cream for progesterone only cause she said I am still estrogen dominant. So we are working on that to correct that imbalance. I think the imbalance of estrogen/progesterone ratio has something to do with balancing out the thyroid. I was 203 before starting progesterone cream. I am now 185. But it has taken me almost 5 years to lose 17 pounds due to still being estrogen dominant.
    We did discover that my thyroid is not making any T4 or T3 so I have to take both. I sure hope you all here find a good solution. I just wanted to relate my experience of balancing not only the thyroid hormones but also the progesterone/estrogen ratio. Like I said I have began losing weight when I started taking natural progesterone and beginning to combat my estrogen dominance. But it is a constant battle just like you all! Good luck and my prayers are with you all.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've been on levothyroxine for over 20 years and it never caused me to gain weight. I had to have my thyroid removed due to cancer so maybe that makes a difference. Some things I've learned, heard from endocrinologists:

1. Taking too much can make you hyperthyroid very quickly. Often one assumes that if you go hyper, that you will lose weight. My doctor told me that most people, unknowingly, start compensating and eating more. Being hyper makes you hungry. So, OP, it's time to honestly log your food and see if being on this medication has driven you to eat a little more. The medication itself is a hormone and won't directly cause weight gain.

2. Taking your meds. The common advice is to take the the medication first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and wait an hour to eat anything else. The reason for this is that many things can interfere with the absorption of this very sensitive hormone. Milk and soy are huge T4 blockers as are some vitamins. BUT....as I was told, if you cannot possibly do that, make sure that you take your medicine the same "way" everyday. If you have to take it with food or only have a 15 minute window, that's okay. But do that everyday. Yes, your food will likely interfere with the meds so instead of needed 100 mcg per day, you might need 112 mcg per day. That's okay.

3. You can take thyroid medication at bedtime provided you haven't eaten for several hours. For some people, there is a period of time where the T4 floods the bloodstream and it *may* interfere with sleep. Other people are not bothered.

4. Always know your numbers. Your doctor told you your levels are little below normal. Find out the lab reference range and where you number fell. Know it and watch what happens on future labs. Learn what number is your sweet spot.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,023 Member
    Options
    Helpful information but OP asked this question 4 years ago.
  • staraly
    staraly Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Another Hashi here. The following are a few things to consider.
    If the doc thinks another problem is causing your hypothyroidism, have they done further testing to determine the how? Have they tested for thyroid antibodies, in which case you would have primary hypothyroidism?
    In terms of taking thyroid meds, to get maximum benefit from thyroxine, take in the morning 30-60 minutes before food and at least 60 minutes before caffeine. Caffeine blocks its absorption. Don't take iron or calcium within 4 hours of thyroid meds, or within 2 hours of each other. Both bind thyroxine, and each other, and can significantly reduce dosages of slow release meds. Watch out for multivitamins that contain iron and calcium.
    Do you have any other undiagnosed or unresolved inflammatory conditions? Research shows that inflammation can disrupt the Krebs cycle which can cause unexpected weight gain or difficulty losing so good control of your hypothyroidism and/or identifying other inflammatory conditions is essential. Gastric problems (low stomach acid) are common with hypothyroidism. Your doc wants to test for diabetes because many people with one inflammatory condition have a second one as well, but this approach seems to be more oriented to primary hypothyroidism, hence the question above about testing for antibodies.
    Your reduced quality sleep could well be a major clue. Have you told your doctor about this? You may need to have further endochrine or neurotransmitter testing, especially considering your prolactinoma.