Choosing Activity Level

Options
I have a desk job but make myself walk at least 10-11 k steps a day that include a walk and an exercise video 6 days a week. I chose lightly active. Does that sound right? And do I eat those calories back if I’m really hungry that day? I have 5 lbs to go but have a hard time losing weight on account of my thyroid issues. Thanks for the help!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,866 Member
    Options
    If you count activity if your activity level, don't eat it back - that would be double dipping. Either (1) select an activity level based on your life other than intentional exercise (job, chores, nonexercise hobbies, etc), then log and eat exercise besides; or (2) include everything when you set your activity level, but don't log/eat exercise.

Option 1 is how MFP is intended to be used. Many people start by eating back 50% of the exercise calories, until they see how it goes, in case the exercise calories are overestimated.

It isn't clear too me from your post whether your 10-11K steps are your intentional walk and exercise video, or include part of your daily life apart from them, so it's hard for me to answer your literal question about what level to choose. You also don't mention what your work, etc., are like.
  • mommyxbearx
    mommyxbearx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you. My job is mostly sitting so I intentionally make myself get up and walk so I can get to those 10k steps. I also include an exercise video (mostly weights) so it doesn’t really show a lot of Fitbit steps. I think I may need to chose sedentary since my job is mostly that. And then eat 50% of the calories I burn from my intentional exercises. Thank you for your help!