Weight Loss Pattern

Options
Hello, Im curious, how did your weight drop off? Was it quicker in the beginning and then it slowed down? I have 43 lbs to lose and Im not sure how long I should expect for the weight to come off...Thanks :)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Max rate of 1% of bodyweight per week, and dropping, in the form of a seizure reading.
  • vartua
    vartua Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Usually the weight loss plateau's at some point. Its important to remember that you cannot lose all your weight in 1 month (in a healthy way) if you have been gaining it for 5 years. Patience, persistence and CONSISTENCY are the most important things.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I've lost 19lbs since February 14th. The first week I lost 5 next week 3 the last few weeks about 2lbs.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 95 lbs this past year. It came off fast I'm the beginning, then gradually slowed down each month. Now I lose around 3 lbs per month but the scale moves up and down all the time.
  • cazwood
    cazwood Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Have a look at losertown for weight loss prediction, it's pretty accurate long term if you're tracking accurately

http://www.losertown.org/eats/cal.php
  • mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My weight loss began rapidly, 3lbs + per week for the first month or so, then gradually slowed. Overall, I find I gain and lose the same 1-2lbs for a week or two and then lose 3-4 in a sudden whoosh, then slow down (0.5-1lb per week) over two weeks until I hit the standstill and repeat.
  • Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a pattern. Some weeks I have lost a few pounds other weeks zero and on occasion I've had a woosh. As long as I am losing I'm happy.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I started too fast and then slowed to a more reasonable rate and then went really slow toward the end. No plateaus. 60 pounds total.
  • jillstreett
    jillstreett Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    For me, I want to lose 30 pounds and I, on a good day, have lost 24 so far. Its been steady weight loss most weeks but I have hit 1 "mini" plateau and now the real one. I say "mini" for the first one because it wasn't that long, but long enough for me to say what the heck? The mini plateau was at 16 weeks in and I read up on it and decided to take a 10 day diet break. Now I didn't go crazy and in all of the weeks of dieting I had still allowed some cheat meals to keep my sanity. So about a week after those 10 days of eating roughly maintenance calories, 2.5-3 pounds came off. That was what I needed :) Now, I have been at the same weight range now for going on 4 weeks...this is now the real plateau...it's driving me insane. But I am not giving up. Since this plateau started around week 22 of dieting and I had friends coming into town for 4 days at the end of week 23, I decided that for those 4 days I would do what I did above and take a break but only for 4 days. Ate well the week before they came in, and very well the week after they left and continuing. Only this time...this up in calories did not work. I am still at the same place on the scale - no extra woosh of pounds came off. So it's just interesting how one strategy works one time, then totally doesn't work the second time.

I'm sure you will see it consistent for a long while, 16+ weeks but don't be discouraged if it does stall or your body needs a break. I, as a novice, recommend giving your body a break after a long stretch, but that is just what worked for me to push through mentally and then reflected well on the scale. I will end with this: even though I knew I could probably be very strict, not take breaks and maybe even up the work outs to 5x a week (instead of 3-4x) and drop probably 2 pounds a week, I decided that I wanted to do 30 pounds down in 30 weeks. I wanted this to be successful, permanent and as stress free as possible. That for me has been the saving grace. So what if I eat a brownie that someone brought into work? That is the reality of life, so don't tell yourself "no" at every turn but overall make good choices that will stick long after the 43 pounds are gone. Plus even if you can lose 2 pounds a week, our bodies are ever changing, so for me allowing the time slot of 1 pound a week has given me time for fluctuations, changes, and plateaus.

Good luck! And do what's best to keep the weight off! :)
  • pinksunnyrose
    pinksunnyrose Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    1-2 pounds a week but also weeks (like this one) where I’ve stayed the exact same (plateau) for 2-3 weeks at a time then back to losing. It has also gone up 1-2 lbs here and there which is usually water weight but very frustrating. “Weight loss is not a linear process.” Ughh!!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    The last ten pounds is like chipping away granite. Set your expectations accordingly so you don't get frustrated.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    One thing that seems common (I definitely had this experience) is that as much as you want to get to goal, it can be spooky when you do. I know how to lose weight and I gained weight when I tried to eat naturally in the past. I have no recent experience staying at a healthy weight. I find normal swings terrifying. Long time maintainers assure me it will get better. If you browse in the "maintaining" forum, you will see that my paranoia about the slightest gain is pretty common.
  • Tezzzz2018
    Tezzzz2018 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    All great advise. Thank you every one for your input. :)
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    cazwood wrote: »
    Have a look at losertown for weight loss prediction, it's pretty accurate long term if you're tracking accurately

http://www.losertown.org/eats/cal.php

Amazing, thank you so much for this great tool!! It gives me something to realistically map things out with now. :)
  • jillstreett
    jillstreett Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    For me, I want to lose 30 pounds and I, on a good day, have lost 24 so far. Its been steady weight loss most weeks but I have hit 1 "mini" plateau and now the real one. I say "mini" for the first one because it wasn't that long, but long enough for me to say what the heck? The mini plateau was at 16 weeks in and I read up on it and decided to take a 10 day diet break. Now I didn't go crazy and in all of the weeks of dieting I had still allowed some cheat meals to keep my sanity. So about a week after those 10 days of eating roughly maintenance calories, 2.5-3 pounds came off. That was what I needed :) Now, I have been at the same weight range now for going on 4 weeks...this is now the real plateau...it's driving me insane. But I am not giving up. Since this plateau started around week 22 of dieting and I had friends coming into town for 4 days at the end of week 23, I decided that for those 4 days I would do what I did above and take a break but only for 4 days. Ate well the week before they came in, and very well the week after they left and continuing. Only this time...this up in calories did not work. I am still at the same place on the scale - no extra woosh of pounds came off. So it's just interesting how one strategy works one time, then totally doesn't work the second time.

I'm sure you will see it consistent for a long while, 16+ weeks but don't be discouraged if it does stall or your body needs a break. I, as a novice, recommend giving your body a break after a long stretch, but that is just what worked for me to push through mentally and then reflected well on the scale. I will end with this: even though I knew I could probably be very strict, not take breaks and maybe even up the work outs to 5x a week (instead of 3-4x) and drop probably 2 pounds a week, I decided that I wanted to do 30 pounds down in 30 weeks. I wanted this to be successful, permanent and as stress free as possible. That for me has been the saving grace. So what if I eat a brownie that someone brought into work? That is the reality of life, so don't tell yourself "no" at every turn but overall make good choices that will stick long after the 43 pounds are gone. Plus even if you can lose 2 pounds a week, our bodies are ever changing, so for me allowing the time slot of 1 pound a week has given me time for fluctuations, changes, and plateaus.

Good luck! And do what's best to keep the weight off! :)

I want to edit myself and admit to being impatient about my own progress....the second 4 day diet break DID work! It took longer to see it on the scale...but now about 3.5 pounds has dropped off after 2 weeks back on track. It just took a little longer this time!
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Like this:

q30vs7pc80f6.jpg

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Tezzzz2018 wrote: »
    Hello, Im curious, how did your weight drop off? Was it quicker in the beginning and then it slowed down? I have 43 lbs to lose and Im not sure how long I should expect for the weight to come off...Thanks :)

Like this...

weighttrendgraph1.gif

You typically lose more in the beginning because you are dumping water, glycogen, and you have less inherent waste in your system from eating less.

It then tapers off and you will have weeks with bigger losses, smaller losses, no losses, and gains due to natural weight fluctuations which is why it's important to look at the overall trend over weeks and months rather than weigh in to weigh in. It isn't going to be a straight line progression.