Worried about loose skin

2»

Replies

• WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    Hello, so as the title says I am really really worried about getting loose skin after weight loss! I started my weight loss journey at 235 and am currently down to 220 so this is only the start. It feels great to be losing weight but I have this looming dread in the back of my head that I might get loose skin! I am 23 with about 100lb to lose in total.. is there anybody else that might be able to share some tips on how to avoid this? Thanks in advance

Yours shouldn't be that bad. I am concerned though starting at 330!
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    At 23 you have little to worry about. I'm 52 and I have lost 42 lbs. with 58 to go. I started at 237 and my gw is 137. So far no loose skin. However I know I will probably have some--I wasn't obese for most of my life so I'm hoping it will be minimal. (peri-menopause fat)

At age 23, your body has YEARS to repair itself, and you 23 is very young. I didn't really get my "adult" body until my late 20s or age 30. If you have any loose skin I would think over the next several years it would even out.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    After I lost 56 lbs, I did have some loose skin (mainly stomach but I had 2 pregnancies and 2 C-section babies so that might also have been the cause). Putting on more muscle made my arms and legs fill out again and disguised the loose skin. My biggest changes were on my face and chin--crepey skin under my chin and a drawn look on my face. I ended up gaining 5 lbs. back which plumped up my face and chin and made me look much better. I have gained 20 lbs. back after a surgery and prolonged recovery and am now working hard to take the weight off. As I am now even older, I plan to fine tune my weight loss to keep just enough weight on to prevent my facial skin from getting droopy again (as my beautiful great grandmother used to say, "After 50 you need to decide between your face and your body. My face was always my best feature, so I "sacrificed" and gained some weight." I think she simply enjoyed being able to eat dessert without guilt!). You are young, so don't worry too much. If you get the weight off, keep it off, and take care of yourself, you will be fine.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    I’ve lost 20 pounds (as of today!!) and my midsection looks like it’s deflating, like the skin is falling in! I’m so glad it’s been mentioned that during the weight loss phase it may look worse. Yikes.
  • quebot
    quebot Posts: 99 Member
    I have a ton of loose skin after having 4 babies. I'm currently about 50 lbs lighter than my last pregnancy. Once upon a time, I was over 70 lbs lighter. The skin in my family is not very "elastic." Part of it is genetics. My tummy sags. And it might sag more once I lose this 20 lbs again. I'm currently fine with it. There are days that grosses me out, but like everyone else here, I'd take saggy skin over fat. It's nothing spanx can't smooth out. My partner and I are planning our last baby next year, if we're able. After that, I plan to have the excess skin removed. I could live with it if I had to. But my partner has offered bc he knows I'm insecure about it, plus it makes shopping for jeans quite frustrating.

But I just wanted to give you encouragement. It's not the end of the world. And for the most part, you'll probably be the only person who notices it.