workout tips for weightloss

Options
just asking for some advice on what types of exercises/workouts would be best for weightloss.
ive recently started going to the gym but everything is so new and confusing. I mostly feel like im just wondering around lost and kind of just winging things and hoping for the best.
any advice would be much appreciated.

Replies

• sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The best kind of workout is the one you will do. if you like to walk, walk. If you like to bike, bike. especially in the beginning. Eventually you can mix it up with something you aren't crazy about and power thru it b/c tomorrow you go back to the routine you love.

Good luck!

/\ This is it. Personally I like lifting heavy things and putting them down and doing hikes in the woods but not everyone likes that. Find what you like, don't be intimidated at the gym and try some classes even if you think you wont like them might surprise yourself. I do yoga now even though might not seem manly enough for some.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I agree 100% that the best exercise is the one that you’ll do.

If you’re coming from being inactive, any activity will be an improvement and will bring fitness benefits.

About 15 years ago, my brother lost over 100 pounds through counting calories and walking at least one hour a day, every day, often walking 1.5-2 hours. Except for a few minor regains over the years (around 20 pounds, with the worst one being 40 pounds), he’s maintained. When he feels himself putting on too much weight, he still goes back to his beloved marathon walks to get things under control.

Besides walking, the only other exercise he does is 100 sit ups and push ups a day. He didn’t start that though until he’d already lost most of his weight.

Some exercise can ramp up people’s hunger. So to help with weight loss it’s important to find exercise that you not only enjoy but also exercise that doesn’t make meeting your calorie goals harder due to increased hunger.

• FeliciaFancy
    FeliciaFancy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been taking advantage of the free classes that my gym offers.
    I enjoy working out with a group of people, it can fun and motivating but also it gives me focus for 45 minutes. Plus some times when the class is quieter I am getting some great help from the instructors for my form and posture.
  • laceyquintel
    laceyquintel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started running on Valentine's day and haven't looked back. I absolutely love it. Once you get past the initial hatred of cardio you fall in love. The endorphins released are amazing.

I got shin splints running though, so I ended up doing the arc and elliptical machines. The arc is a very good low impact workout that can be modified to fit your fitness level. It also has sides so you can hold on with your arms to give your legs a break while still moving.

From what I've been seeing and doing at the gym, I'd recommend anything that makes you sweat! And slowly cutting out processed foods. Learning about different nutrients and what fuels you. Lots of water and sleep.

I have learned tbat, for me at least, I get a much better workout in if I fuel up with protein and water before the gym.

Good luck
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    rezart wrote: »
    just asking for some advice on what types of exercises/workouts would be best for weightloss.
    ive recently started going to the gym but everything is so new and confusing. I mostly feel like im just wondering around lost and kind of just winging things and hoping for the best.
    any advice would be much appreciated.

Free: Walk as much as you can, drink plenty of water and make sure you sleep, quality sleep 7+ hours.
    Food: if you just avoid sugar and processed foods, you will most certainly loose weight. How much weight will you loose, only you will know once you do it. Also, cook your food...the more you eat out or by ready to eat meals, loaded with crap, the worst it is.
    The main thing you can do, is to mentally be prepared and ready to tackle your weight loss. You should not see weight loss as an assignment, it should be a lifestyle change, a daily routine. Once that happens, you are on your way.

Avoiding sugar and processed foods doesn't guarantee weight loss unless it puts you in a calorie deficit. And it isn't necessary for most people.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    find something you enjoy.
    know that at first, you might not be able to do it for long, but your endurance will build up.

at the gym, i love the elliptical. lately though, with my schedule, getting there is tough. So ive been doing at home workouts (zumba,cize, random ones on amazon prime). i like those too, so it works for me.