2»

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    kazane1 wrote: »
    goatg wrote: »

How come you change your %’s on rest days?

When I'm working out for two hours I generally need sugar. I tend to eat lightly before cardio (100-150 calories of high glycemic, quickly digestible, foods). This means I have no "gas in the tank" to ride on. So if I'm biking for 2 hours, running for 3 hours, or bike/running for 5 hours, I need to fuel during this. A higher proportion of my calories will be spent "fueling" (which is totally fine since the sugar is used immediately). If I'm not using carbs for energy to sustain my workouts, I stick to complex carbs (green veggies, starchy squash, beans, etc.) and lean proteins and some omega rich proteins.
    Carbs simply serve no purpose for me on rest days, beyond a moderate of complex carbs for health and energy. The fat is good for my body and helps it function. A high portion of protein helps keep me full and helps my muscles regenerate.

Why do you think your carb intake is so high? What's your goal?
    That’s really interesting to read, and I’m not sure why my carbs are so high I guess I just worked out that I could do with having 140g of protein for muscle maintenance and then I’m on 58g of fat because I want to try and keep my body fat % down and try to stay as lean as possible while bulking and then I just made the rest of my calories up with carbs and that’s what was left.

My main goal I’m aiming for is to bulk.. to gain muscle and to gain strength.

Fat doesn't make you fat any more than protein or carbs. Eating in a calorie surplus of any macro will cause you to gain weight/fat. Keeping your bodyfat gain minimal when bulking happens by keeping a small surplus.... Although by the sounds of it, you're not in a surplus, or gaining anything...
  • kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    goatg wrote: »

How come you change your %’s on rest days?

When I'm working out for two hours I generally need sugar. I tend to eat lightly before cardio (100-150 calories of high glycemic, quickly digestible, foods). This means I have no "gas in the tank" to ride on. So if I'm biking for 2 hours, running for 3 hours, or bike/running for 5 hours, I need to fuel during this. A higher proportion of my calories will be spent "fueling" (which is totally fine since the sugar is used immediately). If I'm not using carbs for energy to sustain my workouts, I stick to complex carbs (green veggies, starchy squash, beans, etc.) and lean proteins and some omega rich proteins.
    Carbs simply serve no purpose for me on rest days, beyond a moderate of complex carbs for health and energy. The fat is good for my body and helps it function. A high portion of protein helps keep me full and helps my muscles regenerate.

Why do you think your carb intake is so high? What's your goal?
    That’s really interesting to read, and I’m not sure why my carbs are so high I guess I just worked out that I could do with having 140g of protein for muscle maintenance and then I’m on 58g of fat because I want to try and keep my body fat % down and try to stay as lean as possible while bulking and then I just made the rest of my calories up with carbs and that’s what was left.

My main goal I’m aiming for is to bulk.. to gain muscle and to gain strength.

Fat doesn't make you fat any more than protein or carbs. Eating in a calorie surplus of any macro will cause you to gain weight/fat. Keeping your bodyfat gain minimal when bulking happens by keeping a small surplus.... Although by the sounds of it, you're not in a surplus, or gaining anything...

Thank your explaining this and yeah I don’t seem to be putting on weight at all since before Christmas now I have stayed the same weight and I have been eating just over 3000 calories I’m going to have to re think things through.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I've never bothered to target specific macro ratios. That is, I do try to get 30 grams of fiber and meet my protein goal most days. If fat and carbs come along for the ride, that's ok.
  • kazane1
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Kazane,

Why do you still weigh the same? You've been at this for months and you haven't gained a pound.

WTF are you doing?

Haha yeah I know maybe I just have a really fast metabolism I’m not sure.. I have been eating 3,089 calories for quite some time now and my maintenance is 2,600 but I just don’t seem to be putting on weight and I haven’t since October last year.. I have put on roughly 1kg since then but have upped my calories big time since then.
    So I don’t know what’s going on lol

From Arnold Schwarzenegger's "How To gain Muscular Weight and Massiveness", 1975:

(Desired bodyweight x 23) + 25% = Calories needed

Eat additional 500-750 calories on workout days.

To increase weight to 140...

140 x 23 = 3220

3220 x 25% = 805

3220 + 805 = 4025 calories needed on non-workout days

4525 to 4775 calories needed on workout days.

*Since you are only eating just over 3000 calories you will not gain weight.

@leanman60
    :open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:
    Wow! That’s I lot of calories lol I have been eating a lot less then I should be then. I have done a lot of research into surpluses and most of them say to eat 250 calories above maintenance but I have never come across what you have just pointed out. So usually my maintenance is 2,600 -2,850 and for a surplus I’m now looking at 4525 calories :open_mouth: I’m going to start eating at this for a surplus then.
    thank you so much for your input.
  • kazane1
    Options
    @leanman60
    What what the math be to work out a calorie deficit for yourself.
    When ever I use online calculators to work out my maintenance level it’s allways between 2,400-2,850.. but yet using your method it has given me a maintenance of 3,220 so there is a real big difference here.. why do all the online calculates give you a maintenance so low?
  • kazane1
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean you seem to be very intellectual with body building so can I ask you a question? I’m currently eating 3,340 calories 506g carbs, 84g of fat and 140g protein but I allways feel so bloated could this be because I’m eating too much carbs and do you think I would benefit from upping my fat and lowering my carbs? Thank you.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    omg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Kazane,

Why do you still weigh the same? You've been at this for months and you haven't gained a pound.

WTF are you doing?

Haha yeah I know maybe I just have a really fast metabolism I’m not sure.. I have been eating 3,089 calories for quite some time now and my maintenance is 2,600 but I just don’t seem to be putting on weight and I haven’t since October last year.. I have put on roughly 1kg since then but have upped my calories big time since then.

If you're staying the same weight for months on 3,089 calories, then 3,089 is your maintenance calories.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean you seem to be very intellectual with body building so can I ask you a question? I’m currently eating 3,340 calories 506g carbs, 84g of fat and 140g protein but I allways feel so bloated could this be because I’m eating too much carbs and do you think I would benefit from upping my fat and lowering my carbs? Thank you.

Thats got nothing to do with bodybuilding. You can eat more fat if you like. You could also try eating carbs from different sources.
  • kazane1
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Kazane,

WTF are you doing?

If you're staying the same weight for months on 3,089 calories, then 3,089 is your maintenance calories.

Yeahh thanks I’ve moved on since writing this and am currently eating at 3,340 for a surplus. And I think I’m allready starting to plateau on these calories now too.
  • kazane1
    edited April 2018
    Options

Thats got nothing to do with bodybuilding. You can eat more fat if you like. You could also try eating carbs from different sources.

Well body building.. nutrition.. exercise.. you just seem very intellectual with all these things and have helped me out with a lot of things in the past so I trust and value your input greatly with a lot of things. Yeah I was thinking I might up my fat and bring down my carbs? Do you think that would be wise?
    When I say I’ve been feeling very bloated lately I mean I literally can’t even bend over sometimes because I’m feeling so full and bloated lol.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Well body building.. nutrition.. exercise.. you just seem very intellectual with all these things and have helped me out with a lot of things in the past so I trust and value your input greatly with a lot of things. Yeah I was thinking I might up my fat and bring down my carbs? Do you think that would be wise?
    When I say I’ve been feeling very bloated lately I mean I literally can’t even bend over sometimes because I’m feeling so full and bloated lol.

Where do your carbs come from? Are you trying to fit in all "clean carbs" (whatever they are to you)
    Perhaps just consider your protein and fat as minimums and fill the rest of your calories as you like
  • kazane1
    Options

Where do your carbs come from? Are you trying to fit in all "clean carbs" (whatever they are to you)
    Perhaps just consider your protein and fat as minimums and fill the rest of your calories as you like

I get my carbs from all different sources tbh mainly rice though I guess and grains and lentils. But I do eat a lot of random carb sources too lol.