Does elliptical training on non workout day build mass on legs ?

Options
Does elliptical training on non workout day build mass on legs when on a cut with a deficit of 500 cals below maitenance and with a Protien intake of around 200 grams ( body weight 163 pounds) and usage of 1 scoop of creatine every day ?
Level 10 resistance 10 setting on elliptical for your reference ( 30 minute training )

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Also to anyone that doesn't agree with what is posted, I'd love to hear your perspective and experiences about it.
  • MassarDv
    MassarDv Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks all .

I don’t know why these people who are making fat loss programs promise muscle building in a deficit .

I m actually fed up being on a cut for over 4 months now and would start lean bulking .

• tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    MassarDv wrote: »
    Does elliptical training on non workout day build mass on legs when on a cut with a deficit of 500 cals below maitenance and with a Protien intake of around 200 grams ( body weight 163 pounds) and usage of 1 scoop of creatine every day ?
    Level 10 resistance 10 setting on elliptical for your reference ( 30 minute training )

Have you considered a bicycle / spinning instead of the elliptical?

I have calves everyone wants, and do a fair bit of cycling and spin classes. (I tell people my love handles come with them as a packaged set that isn't to be broken apart, LOL.)

You can work in both the push and pull if you wear cycle shoes and clip into the pedals? Can't get that on the elliptical where your only effort is the push. Not to mention your arms help.

You might try it, without the cycle shoes to see if you even like it. If you do, and you find it helping, you could get the cycle shoes so you can work your legs in both the push and pull.

Seated on the bike, heavy resistance and it's not your body weight moving the pedals but the muscles in your legs.

Standing exercises can give you a body weight advantage that means you are not using as much strength, but gravity to move the pedals of a bike or pads of an elliptical trainer.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Have you considered a bicycle / spinning instead of the elliptical?

I have calves everyone wants, and do a fair bit of cycling and spin classes. (I tell people my love handles come with them as a packaged set that isn't to be broken apart, LOL.)

You can work in both the push and pull if you wear cycle shoes and clip into the pedals? Can't get that on the elliptical where your only effort is the push. Not to mention your arms help.

You might try it, without the cycle shoes to see if you even like it. If you do, and you find it helping, you could get the cycle shoes so you can work your legs in both the push and pull.

Seated on the bike, heavy resistance and it's not your body weight moving the pedals but the muscles in your legs.

Standing exercises can give you a body weight advantage that means you are not using as much strength, but gravity to move the pedals of a bike or pads of an elliptical trainer.

This will strengthen and condition the leg muscles but won't cause hypertrophy beyond newbie gains.
  • tbright1965
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

This will strengthen and condition the leg muscles but won't cause hypertrophy beyond newbie gains.

Depends on the resistance faced.

There are plenty of cyclists who have large legs. Not just from cycling, as they do have a leg day.

But someone who lifts and cycles probably will not get stick legs. No one will be asking them if they skipped leg day.
  • mmapags
    edited April 2018
    Options

Depends on the resistance faced.

There are plenty of cyclists who have large legs. Not just from cycling, as they do have a leg day.

But someone who lifts and cycles probably will not get stick legs. No one will be asking them if they skipped leg day.

I had lots of exposure to professional cyclist while being part of a Gran Prix cycling event for several years. They are extremely lean and have muscular legs and great conditioning but not massive legs or massive anything else for that matter. When competing at that level, mass = weight and finding the nexus of maximum strength and minimum weight is the goal. And yes they do train for strength in the weight room.

But hypertrophy from cycling alone beyond newbie gains? Nope.
  • tbright1965
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The only cyclists I know with large muscular legs are sprinters and they also work in the weight room more than your typical endurance cyclist.

Most competitive endurance cyclists are very slight.

220px-Lance_Armstrong_Tour_de_Gruene_2008-11-01.jpg

Lance Armstrong has pretty skinny legs...

True, I should have been more specific. If you look at photos of sprinter's legs, one of them makes up both of Lance's legs in the above image.

yzpxal604fdo.jpg
  • mmapags
    Options
    I'm guessing that sprinter has spent a lot of time in the weight room.
  • tbright1965
    Options
    I'm guessing that sprinter has spent a lot of time in the weight room.

Probably. Time on the bike is his "day off" LOL
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    If you are progressively overloading the legs it can help maintain some of the muscle in a deficit.. but to be honest this would not be the most optimal way to do it at all. To actually build that way would be very difficult and minimal to not, even in a surplus. Not only that if you go too hard and fatigue the legs that way you run the risk of it potentially affecting your leg workouts which would defeat the purpose.

Are you lifting right now, following a program? Are you training the lower body at least twice per week?

Yes I m on a cut and I m lifting 3 times a week and hit legs atleast 2 times a week .
    I amazes me from the responses I have got that you can’t actually put on muscle even with high supply of protien . The fat loss programs I have assessed usually do put on muscle .
    Even a article from Livestrong site says you can build leg muscle mass with elliptical training .

Bro, protein isn't magic. Just because you're eating higher protein doesn't mean you're going to gain muscle in a deficit.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Real science says no...Broscience says yes
    "At the end of the day, you can..." believe "...whatever the **** you want"
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The only cyclists I know with large muscular legs are sprinters and they also work in the weight room more than your typical endurance cyclist.

Most competitive endurance cyclists are very slight.

220px-Lance_Armstrong_Tour_de_Gruene_2008-11-01.jpg

Lance Armstrong has pretty skinny legs...

True, I should have been more specific. If you look at photos of sprinter's legs, one of them makes up both of Lance's legs in the above image.

yzpxal604fdo.jpg

There is a huge difference between the long distance cyclists and the sprinters. Do you ever watch the Tour?