Calories at Midnight

Options
If I'm a night owl do I count what I eat or drink after midnight to yesterday or the new day? Say if I fall asleep at one am...but have a snack at midnight? It's tempting to go midnight to midnight if I've reached my goal before 12.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    You can do whatever works for you. Personally, I go from when I wake up until I go the bed. But I find you have to be careful when do that if you're using the website, anyway, because if midnight has passed, even if I click add food on the calendar day that just ended, it will actually log the food on the current calendar day.
  • covacialia
    covacialia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I usually add it to the previous day if I haven't slept yet. If I wake up at something like five am I add it to the new day. I take medication that makes me hungry. I notice it all adds up anyways. I have less calories in the morning for the day so it all works out
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    You can do whatever works for you. Personally, I go from when I wake up until I go the bed. But I find you have to be careful when do that if you're using the website, anyway, because if midnight has passed, even if I click add food on the calendar day that just ended, it will actually log the food on the current calendar day.

Not sure what you are doing to see this behavior; I have logged food on the prior day many times using both the web site and the Android app. Average across days is what really matters. Sometimes I go over and log something on the next day. Sometimes I don't eat all that close to doal and I back fill it the next day.
  • lynn_glenmont
    edited April 2018
    Options

Not sure what you are doing to see this behavior; I have logged food on the prior day many times using both the web site and the Android app. Average across days is what really matters. Sometimes I go over and log something on the next day. Sometimes I don't eat all that close to doal and I back fill it the next day.

I'm not doing anything. Don't make this out to be user error. It's a design flaw. If I have left the web-version open on Saturday, for example, and midnight passes, and at 12:15 a.m. on Sunday, for example, I click on "add food" for one of my Saturday meals or snacks, MFP will actually add whatever food I select to the same meal or snack on Sunday. To prevent this from happening, I have to refresh or otherwise reload the page for Saturday after midnight before I try to add food to a Saturday meal or snack.

ETA: My suspicion is that the software defines all days in relation to the current day. So on Saturday, the diary page for Saturday is Day 0 (Sunday is +1, Friday is -1, etc.). If I've left Day 0 open, and midnight passes, the software still is referencing that page as Day 0, so when I try to add a food to a meal or snack, it records it on Sunday because Sunday is now Day 0.

ETA: I never said average across days doesn't matter. In fact, I disagree with people who say "pick whichever you want but be consistent." This is one place where being consistent doesn't matter. If one day you have calories left and want to log your post-midnight snack on that previous day, but the next time you have a post-midnight snack you're out of calories for the previous day and want to log it the day that started at midnight, it's not going to affect your progress.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,644 Member
    Options

I'm not doing anything. Don't make this out to be user error. It's a design flaw. If I have left the web-version open on Saturday, for example, and midnight passes, and at 12:15 a.m. on Sunday, for example, I click on "add food" for one of my Saturday meals or snacks, MFP will actually add whatever food I select to the same meal or snack on Sunday. To prevent this from happening, I have to refresh or otherwise reload the page for Saturday after midnight before I try to add food to a Saturday meal or snack.

ETA: My suspicion is that the software defines all days in relation to the current day. So on Saturday, the diary page for Saturday is Day 0 (Sunday is +1, Friday is -1, etc.). If I've left Day 0 open, and midnight passes, the software still is referencing that page as Day 0, so when I try to add a food to a meal or snack, it records it on Sunday because Sunday is now Day 0.

ETA: I never said average across days doesn't matter. In fact, I disagree with people who say "pick whichever you want but be consistent." This is one place where being consistent doesn't matter. If one day you have calories left and want to log your post-midnight snack on that previous day, but the next time you have a post-midnight snack you're out of calories for the previous day and want to log it the day that started at midnight, it's not going to affect your progress.

I've had that problem too. It's especially annoying when you log a new food and have to delete it from the wrong day and have to search for it again to add to the correct day.

I've found if you refresh the date you're on first, it'll log to that same day.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    OK, I do know what is happening.

<< If I have left the web-version open on Saturday, for example, and midnight passes, and at 12:15 a.m. on Sunday, for example, I click on "add food" for one of my Saturday meals or snacks, MFP will actually add whatever food I select to the same meal or snack on Sunday.>>

Yes, it will do that because you left it in the default "current day" mode. If you leave it up overnight (or past midnight), click on FOOD and it will display the current day. Then use the arrow to select the previous day. Then you can add food to it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

I've had that problem too. It's especially annoying when you log a new food and have to delete it from the wrong day and have to search for it again to add to the correct day.

I've found if you refresh the date you're on first, it'll log to that same day.

If you do make the mistake, relog on the correct day first, while the food is still in your recent foods, then delete from the wrong day.
  • lynn_glenmont
    edited April 2018
    Options
    OK, I do know what is happening.

<< If I have left the web-version open on Saturday, for example, and midnight passes, and at 12:15 a.m. on Sunday, for example, I click on "add food" for one of my Saturday meals or snacks, MFP will actually add whatever food I select to the same meal or snack on Sunday.>>

Yes, it will do that because you left it in the default "current day" mode. If you leave it up overnight (or past midnight), click on FOOD and it will display the current day. Then use the arrow to select the previous day. Then you can add food to it.

As I said, I'm using the web, not the app.

ETA: In any case, I already explained what I had to do to make it work, which is reload the date I want to add to, in whatever fashion one might choose to do so, so you're really not saying anything new or telling me anything I haven't made quite clear I already know.

See, it was the sentence right after the one you quoted.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Since my polar fitness watch starts over at midnight, I personally have my calories end at midnight for that day just to be consistent. I tend to not eat late so it hasn't been an issue for me.
  • bduanemyfitness
    bduanemyfitness Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I always thought that calories consumed at midnight simply do not count! o:)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I always thought that calories consumed at midnight simply do not count! o:)

This guy concurs...

giphy.gif