Pasta Sauce Recipe (?!)

Options
I'm HUGE on pasta and its so hard to find a good pasta sauce with not a lot of sodium and calories in it. Does anyone have any suggestions....or a recipe would be great?! :D Thanks!

Replies

• jrainey84
    Options
    Bump
  • labrat26
    labrat26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    check the site allrecipes.com Great suggestions there. Also the site "yummly". With the Yummly site you can check off any restrictions, and it filters the recipes for you. Good luck.
  • ClareB1974
    ClareB1974 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I chop an onion or 2 (this is a fluid recipe!!) and fry in 1 cal spray with a couple of cloves of garlic until soft and translucent, add in a tin or 2 of chopped tomatoes and/or passata, mix in a large dollop of tomato puree, a pinch of sugar and maybe a teaspoon of balsalmic vinegar. I simmer for about 45 minutes and then blend til smooth.

The children eat just this mixed with pasta one day and then with meatballs or mince to make a variation on spag bol the next. They love it with balsamic in :) I think the original recipe came from the bbc recipe site :)

I have been known to add in some light soft cheese (whole tube) and pour over pasta, stir in left over chopped chicken from roast and a chopped gammon steak, top with light cheese and a crushed packet of ready salted crisps and bung in the oven for a while. They love this too, but it's nowhere near as healthy!!
  • AOCo
    AOCo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try this one
    500gm Cherry / vine tomatoes
    80ml Olive Oil*
    4 cloves garlic peeled & crushed
    Salt & pepper (I use rock salt, or potassium salt)*
    Large Bunch Parsley
    2 Tbs Dijon Mustard
    200gm black olives*
    Some Tabasco **
    1 Tbs Caster sugar*

* You can try adjusting these to taste - sometimes our tomatoes are tasteless and need seasoning, sometimes salt can be left out completely. I use as little oil as possible as that's where the cals are ... and check the Dijon too for cals; though here they're ok.
    ** you can leave out, personally I love Chipotle and Worcester

method

Slice tomatoes in half and scatter on a roasting tin, drizzle with oil and bake for about 1/2 hour until the tomatoes are slightly charred. Transfer to a bowl, add the remaining ingredients mixing without breaking up the tomatoes too much, season and that's it.

I stir into Penne, or fusilli and mop up with bread (no butter) - this is a good base for starting pasta sauces, (I can't take cream and an Italian friend of mine gave it to me)

An easier one is (again from Italy)

take one jar of passata (sieved tomatoes)
    add the following
    1-Teaspoon Dried Oregano
    1-Teaspoon Dried Basil
    1 Teaspoon Dried gGarlic (Min - if it's sliced and dried add more)
    1-Teaspoon Dried Chilli
    (Some marjoram if you like it, or anything else you like that's dried)
    Some Dried onions

Shake vigourously (check the cap of the bottle) to ensure an even distribution

leave for a few hours, or overnight for the herbs to re-hydrate

Cool in some good olive oil (I only use 1 teaspoon) reduce to an acceptable consistency season to taste (may need some sugar to counteract the acidity of the tomatoes, or salt again depending on tomatoes)

Or take some jars of sauce in the supermarket, check the ingredients, pick the ones you like and remake (make need some experimentation) but is worth it.

enjoy

A
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Roasted Red pepper sauce:

3 Large red peppers
    1 cup passata/chopped tomatoes
    3 cloves garlic
    1 red onion
    Black pepper/ cayenne pepper
    Spray oil
    Pinch of sugar
    Mixed herbs (Fresh or dried- oregano, parsley, basil & rosemary all work well)

Roast the deseeded peppers in a hot oven- meanwhile, sautee the garlic & onion with spray oil. In a blender- blitz the peppers with the onion & garlic and tomatoes/passata. Season with the sugar, herbs and black/cayenne pepper (if you like a kick) et voila!!

Broccoli & Cheese sauce:

1 head Broccoli, cooked
    4 triangles/portions of low cal soft cheese (I used laughing cow deli light blue cheese- 20 cals per portion) OR 1-2 tbsp extra light cream cheese.
    Black pepper
    garlic salt/ 1 clove crushed garlic (or more if you like it garlicky)

Blend the above with a little water to loosen, stir through pasta.

Both recipes serve 4- not sure on exact cal count (will vary depending on what supermarket brands you use) But they are low :o)
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    BUMP - I love pasta, but always rely on dolmio. Must try these - the red pepper one sounds lush!
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Try this... not bad on calories and good!
    Large can tomato puree
    Large can crushed tomatoes
    Small can tomato paste
    Large Onion
    TBS Olive oil
    6 or so large cloves of garlic
    Large carrot (carrot sweetens the sauce without sugar)
    Fresh or dry: Basil
    Parsley
    Oregano

I use a crock pot for mine. Put in the canned tomatoes and paste. Add a full can of water for the paste and a half can of water for each of the tomatoes. Chop the onion and saute in the olive oil til translucent and add to crock pot. Peel and crush garlic and grate carrot and add to crock pot. Add a generous amount of the herbs... I use more if fresh, if dry about 2 tbs each... Let is simmer all day on low... freezes well too! Makes quite a bit!
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    Bump
  • Joolybean
    Joolybean Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find a can of chopped tomatoes that are low in sodium, or use fresh tomatoes blended or chopped, then I add onions, peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, garlic and a bit of coriander. I sometimes add a bit of home made vegetable or chicken broth if you need it to be more watery, but I like it chunky.
    Bring to the boil quickly and simmer for about 20 minutes or until all veges are cooked.
    Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.