Weightloss & Rheumatoid Disease?

Options
MandyLC2014
MandyLC2014 Posts: 13 Member
edited April 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone. I was diagnosed with RA about two years ago (I was 29 when diagnosed). I have used that for every excuse I could to not get healthy regarding my food/weight. It's no exaggeration when I say exercise is very difficult during flares and I have to be careful as excessive exercise with cause flares. But, I have no excuse when it comes to food.
I guess I'm just here looking for anyone else with a similar situation. Anyone on a weight loss journey and struggle with rheumatoid disease as well? And what is your exercise regime?

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I have psoriatic arthritis which is in the same family of diseases, and I'm not familiar with the idea that excessive exercise brings on a flare, especially since my rheumatologist recommends exercise.

What medications are you on?

If you don't currently exercise, a very gradual approach can help you get started. I used to use a cane, and I started out walking with my cane. We used to live in the middle of the block, and I walked with my cane down to the corner and back one day. And then I did that again the next day. I gradually started adding more distance. Over time, I stopped needing the cane. I'll never forget the feeling of walking my first full mile.

I went from that, took up water jogging to build up my cardio endurance, and then started C25K and began running.

I've given up running, but still walk briskly at least 30K steps a day, and I lift weights every other day. I don't lift particularly heavy (excessive exertion trigger migraines for me), but I am using progressive resistance).

I am feeling the itch to run again, and my arthritis is feeling better now than it felt when I gave up running, so I might pick it up again.
  • bduanemyfitness
    bduanemyfitness Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    While I do not have RA, I do have arthritis. And I do understand how a flare can make exercise more difficult as it does for me. But my rheumatologist does recommend exercise, so I do my best to not forget to exercise, even if it is "just" a walk around the block. I guess I am fortunate that I have not seen any correlation between exercise and a flare-up. Usually it is quite the opposite. I fine that if I do not exercise I am more likely to have a flare-up. And for me, if I start to become a couch potato...I do get more aches and pains.

As I am not RA (or psoriatic, or some others), I am typically using just NSAIDs to help manage the flare-ups.

I am working to drop my excess weight. Since Jan1, I have lost 25lbs (MFP does not show that as I started using MFP late in January). And I have been carefully watching what I eat based on portion size more than eliminating anything specific. My exercise regime is to do something 5 days a week. That something may be a walk around the neighborhood, a hike in the hills/woods, a trip to the GYM and 60 minutes of cardio. Some days I am more active than others, but I do my best to do something. And I do just a little lifting using weight machines. I have an active flare-up (hands mostly) and so by lifting that is hands based is light and cautious (I do not like pain). I tend to choose rowing and elliptical for my cardio as it engages my hands and arms without much stress on my hands.

And I agree with the OP...I have no excuse on blaming my food transgressions on my Arthritis. I really do not feel any better after I eat a huge bowl of comfort. So I am careful about the quantity/portion size of my food.

OP...start with what you can manage for exercise (short walk, etc). Then push yourself a little each day. I find if I choose very simple goals (lose 5 pounds in April, walk one block further, etc) I accomplish a lot. For me, much better than trying to complete a huge bite all at once