Walking and Your Results

Options
Would love to hear you results with walking as your only form of exercise. How much do you do and how much weight have you lost? Thanks!

Replies

• runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    When I first started out at 320 pounds, I would walk for about an hour a day. I lost a good 30-40 pounds that way before deciding to join a gym. I walk now, but it's not my only exercise. Actually, I don't count walking as exercise for myself.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 pounds between January and August 2017 with walking as my only form of exercise. I still walk a decent amount (maybe 10k steps a day), but somehow I caught the fitness bug around August and now I'm also running and doing calisthenics and lifting weights.
  • tracey_mcpherson
    tracey_mcpherson Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have lost 43kgs since August with walking as my only exercise. To start with I set my Garmin so that everyday I beat my goal it would increase and I focused on beating myself. Then changed my goal to 15000 steps a day.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    When I started trying to lose I aimed to walk 30 mins consistently every day, it have me some extra cals to work with so it became a habit.

Walking is an aid to weight loss as it burns calories but first and foremost eating less than we burn is key.

Now at maintenance I cycle/ walk and lift. Moving more has become the norm and it makes managing my weight easy.
  • labblb86
    labblb86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds in 9 months on Weight Watchers in 2016, walking only for 2.5 - 3 miles/day.
  • mrsjhardin
    mrsjhardin Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost this weight (2013) I lost around 70lbs with walking as my main form of exercise. I'd walk daily at least 2 miles and shoot for 5.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Walking isn't my only exercise, but it's my preferred cardio. I started off doing 25 minutes six days a week and my usual on-foot grocery run on Fridays (about 2 hours of actual walking, not counting waiting in line, standing in aisles comparing prices, etc) but I stopped kidding myself that those two hours of walking meant I could grab a boureka (phyllo pastry with a savory filling) and an ice cream treat for the walk home.

Gradually, I increased it. Now I shoot for 2 hours daily. My speed has improved, too. I think I was walking about 2.8 mph at first. Now, it's more like 3.5. And that's without actually trying to go all-out. I'm registered for a "walk/run/fly 5k" in August. I was planning on walking it but I think I might actually start training to run it 7 weeks before the big day. I never thought much about it before, but it seems that walking a 10k has become 'normal' for me, so why not?

If I can't walk, I have a glider in my basement, but I'd rather some fresh air.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I started walking 3 years ago. I could barely walk a mile at a slow pace (3 mph) at first. Within a year I could power walk up to 10 miles at a 4 mph pace. By the end of the second year I had trouble keeping my heart rate up just power walking, so I started to add run intervals into my power walks.

I slowly increased the running distance, and worked my way up to being able to run up to 5 miles at a slow pace. Now I use power walking as my recovery between runs.

I lost over 50 lbs. (before I started the running), and went from a 40 waist to a 32 waist.

I do at least 1 activity per day 7 days a week weather it be power walking, running, or a combination of both.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I started out with walking as my only exercise. Over a period of months I added bodyweight exercises, switched to walk/run intervals, and started lifting weights. Now I prefer long walks or hiking or biking on days when I don't lift.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    I had always been very active as an adult (running, jumping rope) but by my 40's and 50's I had become much less regular due to injuries (knees gave out) and just getting into the habit of being lazy. Helped me get up to around 230 lb. About 3 years ago I was able to somehow overcome my inertia of hitting the snooze button too much and got back outside to walk. My knees don't give me any problems doing that. It was around that time that I signed up here at MFP. Between walking at least 5 miles every day and becoming more aware of how much I was eating by trying to log it in here, I've been able to get back below 190. During that time I was also lifting weights but I think the majority of the weight lost was from walking. I shoot for around 15 min. miles and started wearing a weighted vest to try and maintain the calorie burn. I've been maintaining my current weight for a while now but I'm going to try and drop a few more pounds now. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I walk between 10,000 and 15,000 steps a day and have lost over 40 pounds since January. I also do some weightlifting, not a lot but some.