Need a good tasting salad dressing!

Options
Hi Everyone! I have been using My Fitness Pal since Aug. 1, 2011 and it's working so well for me. I have been overweight most of my life and have been on so many weight loss programs. I have not had any long term success, but have never given up trying to lose excess weight and changing my old habits. I love salads, but the fat free store salad dressings just make my salad something I dread. I love to cook, so am willing to make my own dressing. Does anyone have any great fat free or very low fat dressing recipes I can try? Good luck in your weight losses!

Replies

• winneau
    winneau Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've been using some cottage cheese thrown in instead!!! Or different mustards (honey, horseradish, dijon) :D Sounds weird but it's good and much better for you than dressings.
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Bump... I need a new salad dressing too... I haven't been liking anything I've bought at the store!
  • kristyvere
    kristyvere Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi there - we normally use a lime dressing made from a small spoon of olive oil, the juice of half a lime, pepper and ground ginger. You can switch out the lime & ginger and use lemon and garlic - both are good! Also chillis work in both. The oil just gives it that saucy consistency, so I use only a small spoonful no matter how much dressing I'm making, and it always works fine.

My friend uses just lemon juice and garlic, and while it's really sharp, if you dress just the leaves, and toss everything else on top, it's pretty good :)

Hope that helps! x
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Good Seasons Fat Free italian dressing mix is delicious!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I love Ken's brand lite olive oil vineigrette. Also, Hidden Valley makes a lite ranch that is made with sour cream and even my husband loves it! (he hates anything lite!)
  • deal4321
    deal4321 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've used Salsa either homemade or store bought.
    Also Paul Newman has some good tasting dressings just not sure about fat content.
  • simon1127
    Options
    I just go for a bit of balsamic vinegar over the salad, some salt and pepper and then shake it all up together. If you get a decent (but not too expensive) balsamic vinegar then its really tasty. The Morrisons or Asda ones for about £6.00 are good and they last for a LOT of salads.

I used to add some olive oil as well but that's each to their own.

Best of luck.
  • EllieHall
    EllieHall Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have tried making my own and can never get the taste right. I really like Maple grove farms sugar free raspberry vinaigrette. And Paul Newmans light balsamic vinaigrette. Both of them can be found at Walmart. I live in a very small town and do not have many options for shopping so I always look for things that are readily available.
  • mampm1
    mampm1 Posts: 88
    Options
    Honey mustard by itself makes a great salad dressing. Also, fresh squeezed lemon along with a variety of herbs is a delicious alternative too.

I also make a dressing with EVOO, garlic powder or fresh minced garlic, oregano, salt & pepper to taste and mustard (optional).

I have not bought salad dressing in years and enjoy what I'm able to create. Enjoy and good luck to you!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I enjoy: Kraft Fat Free French Style Salad Dressing
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten dressing on my salads in over a year. When I started WW & Points, I didn't want to use any of my points on salad dressing, so I gave it up "cold turkey". It has now became a "lifestyle change" & automatically order my salads with no dressing, not even on the side. I actually love being able to individually taste all of my veggies.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Olive Oil and either, dijon, lemon, orange or lime juice or any kind of vinegar.
    Pureed Red peppers, onion, olive oil, garlic. Add any herbs you like and let sit so the flavors blend.
  • KMSForLife
    KMSForLife Posts: 605
    Options
    This is my new favorite:

Strawberry Vinaigrette Recipe:

1/4 cup of olive oil
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 tbsp sugar free strawberry jam
    black pepper to taste

This makes about six servings for me.

I eat it on spring mix with fresh cut-up strawberries, slivered almonds and a sprinkle of mozarella cheese. Delicious!
  • maryzcontrary
    Options
    I write a blog at www.redneckfengshui.blogspot.com and if you go to archives, there is a blog called "if life hands you lemons, make salad dressing" -- it has 3 good recipes -- I am using a modified version of the vinegarette - it calls for a lot of olive oil, and I've simply reduced it down to almost nil, and added some more rice vinegar, and it is really, really tasty -- the ranch dressing also has considerably less calories than anything in the store - if you use the "my recipe" section, it will break the calories per serving down for you.....
  • katieherringshaw
    Options
    I actually really enjoy taking mushrooms and sauteing them in a low-cal vinagerette. To thin out the vinagerette sometimes I'll add some fruit juice. The mushrooms and raspberry vinagerette actually work really well together. I recommend instead of pouring the dressing on the salad to put the dressing in a small dish on the side and dipping. My friend taught me this trick and you use a lot less dressing. For example when I get a Chik 'n Strips salad at Chikfila and dip my salad in the Ranch rather than smother my food I use less than half a packet. Mushrooms are good for you and you end up getting a really complex flavor from your salad that is very satisfying. I have included a salad recipe that I really enjoy that makes you feel like you are taking excellent care of your body by giving it the fuel it needs!

1. Combine the following ingredients in a large bowl:
    Spinach
    Raspberries
    Strawberries
    Blue Berries
    Dried cherries (or cranberries)
    Almond or Pecans (omit if you really want to minimize calories/fat)
    2. -Sautee mushrooms in raspberry vinagerette with a little juice
    -Add garlic if you love garlic like I do!
    -Let cool
    3. Dip salad in dressing in small dish
  • joclougherty
    joclougherty Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I always use 1 spoon of olive oil, 2 spoons balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and some wholegrain mustard, it's really nice, much better than shop bought dressing.
  • sarahldee
    sarahldee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sweet Chilli Sauce( Blue Dragon), a tiny bit of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper!
  • BeeHummingbird
    Options
    I make some dressings for different things and I do use a little oil, but don't go crazy with the oil only 1-2 teaspoons with the oil OK......... but they are just simple and quick.

*My favourite is just a little olive oil (good quality) with fresh squeezed lemon juice and black pepper ( also use this dressing to marinate lamb) but add chopped garlic....
    Also to this Same mix above add a little chopped chillie and parsley and dress over your broccoli..

* I love this dressing on my green beans but you can add it to salads...again a little olive oil, french mustard and capers.

* On my mixed veggies have not treid this on salad both my daughter and my self love sesame oil with some soy sauce.....

I only use a couple of teaspoons of each depends how big the salad is. ..... I LIKE TO MAKE IT FRESH ........

* this one I love over a sweet potato salad, ground Cumin, 60mls orange juice,2cm fresh ginger,1tbs honey,fresh coriander.
  • BeeHummingbird
    Options
    Yum !
    Just saw the strawberry jam dressing ........
    Sounds fab.....
    Definitely giving that a go ;-)
  • garywizau
    garywizau Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just can't do without a good tasting creaming dressing. Here in Australia, I miss all the great dressings I used to love in the USA, and now that I am dieting (thanks to this website!), I've become much more attentive to caloric and fat content.

I alternate between a simple balsamic/olive-oil dressing and a CREAMY DILL RANCH that I make myself and use in moderation. About one or two tablespoons on a large salad gives it enough oomph for me to say "yum" and doesn't contribute much to my daily intake.

Basically, I start with a mayonnaise that I invented myself that is made with Canola oil and therefore is much healthier than normal. (Here is my mayo recipe: http://nextstopcafe.com/2009/10/better-than-hellmans/). Though not available to us in Australia, I note that Hellmans makes a canola version, which may have the same fat profile, but I love making my own because I can get the taste "just right".

Then, I combine in a jar:
    - About 1/4 - 1/3 cup mayo
    - About 3 - 4 tsp dill
    - About 1 tsp basil
    - About 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
    - About 1-2 tsp garlic powder
    - Then, add SKIM milk gradually until the consistency is just slightly thinner than ideal.

Stir or shake vigorously to mix and refrigerate and it will thicken in the fridge.

Note that you can really just adjust the flavors to your tastes. I probably never make it the same way twice. I find that garlic powder gives the right flavor much more than fresh garlic (though I love fresh garlic elsewhere).

Of course, I could drown my salad in this stuff. It's great. But, instead, get used to 1 tablespoon on a small salad or 2 tablespoons when you make a "salad as a meal".

Much healthier and more predictable than the store-bought equivalent. I promise you'll love it.

-Gary

(14 pounds and losing consistently for the last 40 days. Very happy that I'm finally doing this.)