Favorite non-dairy source of probiotics

What is your favorite non-dairy source of probiotics? TIA!

Replies

• ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    The CVS brand of probiotics is dairy free and often on buy one get one. I use the 50 yrs plus since it has the highest counts.
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Kimchi
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited April 2018
    Kimchi and sauerkraut. I make my own.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »

@sgt1372 what recipe do you use for kimchi? I've been meaning to try but usually give up at the "recipe search" stage
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    miso
    kimchi
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

@sgt1372 what recipe do you use for kimchi? I've been meaning to try but usually give up at the "recipe search" stage

I have used the napa cabbage, cubed and white kimchi recipes from maangchi.com, which you can find here:

https://www.maangchi.com/recipes/kimchi

The white kimchi is actually my favorite.

I've also made other dishes from her recipe list as well and they are all very good and
    (as far as I can tell) authentically Korean.
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    http://goodbelly.com/good-drinks/

I really like the Plus shots.
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    If food sources don’t appeal, NOW Foods has a reasonable 50 billion mix of probiotics. Nature’s Way has a good one (Primadophilus) with much lower numbers. These are dairy-free, since I have trouble with ones containing whey.

You can actually make yoghurt at home from nondairy milks and can even get nondairy starter if needed. Home yoghurt makers are likely to provide instructions for that nowadays. One of these days, even kitchen-challenged me is going to try it since it doesn’t sound that difficult. Assuming I can ever remember where I stashed the yoghurt maker someone gave me years ago... My local grocery store does sell a wide variety of soy and nut milks now, but I also have dry finely shredded coconut which can be used to make coconut milk easily in a vitamix at least. You would need to check for discussion on the web to see what recommendations are for keeping yoghurt thick when using nondairy milks.

Commercial nondairy yoghurts tend to be pricey and low protein unless made from soy. If they are available (not often), I add vegan protein powder to them.
  • Happysoul0317
    Happysoul0317 Posts: 119 Member
    Amazing Grass Pure Vanilla protein. Full of all that is good. Plant based. Low calories, and pro biotic galore. Easy to digest and it tastes amazing. I mix renew life fiber in there for an extra boost. Makes everything happy.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,813 Member
    I drink the mojito kevita sparkling probiotic drinks
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Another vote for sauerkraut and kimchi (I'm lazy; I buy unpasteurized commercial ones, mostly local). Fermented unpasteurized pickled veggies of all sorts. Miso. And here's the rare case where raw vinegar "with the mother" could be part of the right answer (doesn't have to be ACV ;) ). Various unpasteurized fermented hot sauces (like gochujang).

I haven't adopted kombucha - mostly don't drink calories - but many enjoy it.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

I have used the napa cabbage, cubed and white kimchi recipes from maangchi.com, which you can find here:

https://www.maangchi.com/recipes/kimchi

The white kimchi is actually my favorite.

I've also made other dishes from her recipe list as well and they are all very good and
    (as far as I can tell) authentically Korean.

Thank you! I'll be trying that out this weekend :smile: