Having Trouble Meeting 1200 Calorie Limit

Options
13»

Replies

• Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comments that said you're probably eating more than 1200 - this can fill you up for a day or two but longer term it's not a huge amount and most people who walk around at least a little bit should have not trouble eating that.
  • Hanatastic
    Hanatastic Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Hanatastic wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I replaced all of my foods with whole foods, and now I feel like I have to force myself to eat just to reach 1200 calories, while still maintaining my macros! Whole foods are too darn healthy dang it! >:^0 Does anybody have any methods they use to reach their limits without exceeding 40g of fat daily??

I got fat eating mostly whole foods (and lost the weight, NOT eating below 1200, also doing so), so it's not that hard to eat more than 1200 with whole foods, or mostly whole foods. I wouldn't worry about the fat limit, there's nothing magical about MFP's default macros and it's fine to adjust yours if it would work better for you (I tend to eat more fat, fewer carbs than the default, just because that's how I prefer to eat). When adjusting I would keep in mind that the default 1200 macros are already kind of low in protein (lower than I'd recommend for most).

Are you doing something beyond focusing on whole foods? Or is your definition really restrictive or this, perhaps, such a big change that you are having trouble knowing what to eat?

Give us a sense of what you are eating and what you are thinking you need to avoid.

I just unlocked my diary, feel free to check:) in all honesty, yes, I am very new to cooking for myself. My dad was the cook in the family, and he passed away a year ago. After I moved into my moms I gained a massive amount of weight, partially because of depression, and partially because the only word they apparently know is McDonald’s. This is definitely a learning process!

Sending you love. You're going through a lot and still managing to stick with this. You will have much support here if you need it.

Thank you very much, it’s actually going to be his anniversary in 2 days..I know he’d want me to be healthy though, so it’s an added strength. It’s nice to be part of such a thoughtful and caring community, even if it’s just an app :smile:

• Hanatastic
    Options
    Oh shoot I didn’t realize people were really responding to me lol! Thank you everybody for getting back. I used to have a food scale but when I moved my brother kept it, so I’ve been looking for a decent one to buy. I try my best to do all of my research and planning beforehand, including measurement conversions. I actually set my own goal to 40 g fat, just because it seemed to work best with the other macros, but what everybody said is very insightful so thank you for your advice, I’ll try some new macro goals

Dont worry about buying a 'decent scale'

Any cheap basic digital scale - quite cheap from Target, Walmart, your local supermarket, ebay - will do fine.
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Oh shoot I didn’t realize people were really responding to me lol! Thank you everybody for getting back. I used to have a food scale but when I moved my brother kept it, so I’ve been looking for a decent one to buy. I try my best to do all of my research and planning beforehand, including measurement conversions. I actually set my own goal to 40 g fat, just because it seemed to work best with the other macros, but what everybody said is very insightful so thank you for your advice, I’ll try some new macro goals

Dont worry about buying a 'decent scale'

Any cheap basic digital scale - quite cheap from Target, Walmart, your local supermarket, ebay - will do fine.

Yes, mine is from wal-mart. I check it weekly with a troy silver bar. 31.1 grams! Wow! I am anal retentive! I would only make one suggestion. If you need calories, forgo the protein shakes and eat cheese, a fatty steak, salmon. All of those would give you protein and calories. What are your stats? are you sure 1200 calories a day is enough for you? You seem young. remember you don't stop going until your early 20's

Good news is I have a scale now!

• Hanatastic
    Options
    I replaced all of my foods with whole foods, and now I feel like I have to force myself to eat just to reach 1200 calories, while still maintaining my macros! Whole foods are too darn healthy dang it! >:^0 Does anybody have any methods they use to reach their limits without exceeding 40g of fat daily??

I got fat eating mostly whole foods (and lost the weight, NOT eating below 1200, also doing so), so it's not that hard to eat more than 1200 with whole foods, or mostly whole foods. I wouldn't worry about the fat limit, there's nothing magical about MFP's default macros and it's fine to adjust yours if it would work better for you (I tend to eat more fat, fewer carbs than the default, just because that's how I prefer to eat). When adjusting I would keep in mind that the default 1200 macros are already kind of low in protein (lower than I'd recommend for most).

Are you doing something beyond focusing on whole foods? Or is your definition really restrictive or this, perhaps, such a big change that you are having trouble knowing what to eat?

Give us a sense of what you are eating and what you are thinking you need to avoid.

I just unlocked my diary, feel free to check:) in all honesty, yes, I am very new to cooking for myself. My dad was the cook in the family, and he passed away a year ago. After I moved into my moms I gained a massive amount of weight, partially because of depression, and partially because the only word they apparently know is McDonald’s. This is definitely a learning process!

Yeah, that plus your comment above about anxiety makes it make a lot more sense.

I do think you could be underestimating some of the more calorie-dense ingredients (cheese, avocado, pork chop), but I see the issue. If you are losing faster than expected I'd try (in the short term) adding in some fat (nuts or nut butter or hemp or flax seed or avocado or full fat yogurt) into your protein shake, or just eat some nuts with it.

One easy way to think about cooking/structuring meals is to build them around a source of protein and vegetables plus a source of starchy carbs (beans can be protein or carbs, other starchy carbs would be bread, potato, rice, oats or any grain, sweet potato, corn, peas, so on), and then use fat in your cooking or for added taste (some avocado or cheese, dressing with olive oil on salad, cook with olive oil). Plenty of meats will add fat too, and I'd not avoid those that do (i.e., salmon is great for you, despite being a fattier fish than cod or tuna; dark meat poultry is a good alternative to only breast, and the skin doesn't kill you). ;-)

I'd also substitute fruit sometimes for either the veg or starchy carb or just use it as a snack.

I think once you get in the habit it will feel easier, and you'll find yourself making meals that fill out your calories while still having a basically nutrient dense diet.

And it sounds like you've had a tough year or so, take it a bit easy on yourself and don't feel like you need to be perfect.

Thank you very much for the advice, I actually did just as you said and started adding more fats from seeds into my drinks! I also followed what you said for meals and dinner turned out alright lol :smile: Thank you very much, I’ll keep following!

• Hanatastic
    Options
    I agree with the comments that said you're probably eating more than 1200 - this can fill you up for a day or two but longer term it's not a huge amount and most people who walk around at least a little bit should have not trouble eating that.

Lol..who said I even walk around..jk lol :wink: I just got a scale so I’m going to track what I’ve normally been eating and see if I was going above or below, thank you!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I eat whole foods too and 1200 is nothing. A cup of milk and a banana is 200 calories. A tablespoon of peanut butter and an apple is another 200 calories. A small amount of nuts is a few hundred calories easily.
  • Hanatastic
    Options
    I’m glad it’s easy for you:)