Jumping Rope to burn calories

Options
Has anyone else incorporated jumping rope into their exercises or regular cardio workouts?

I have been doing it for a while after doing some reading and looking for alternatives to running when the weather is bad(its still cold here in ohio for some reason).

About 10 mins of jumping rope at an elevated heart rate burns about the same amount of calories as 30 mins of running/jogging!

I have been having fun doing it and plan to keep it up alongside my running

Replies

• paulawriteslove
    paulawriteslove Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I LOVE jump rope!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I like jumping rope. I'm not good at it any more, though. I keep thinking of adding it and should really do that.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    At 9Round, the jump rope is always station #1. I love it. I sucked big time to start, but now I can go the full 3 minutes without to many screw ups. bbell1985, I don't throw the ropes, but I scream at them sometimes. I get the strange looks when I do that occasionally. Now the trainers want me to do high knees on the rope & I'm barely able to do it the normal way. When it gets warmer, I'm going to practice the high knees because it feels som awkward when I try it now.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    What a great idea for an indoors workout. I am getting tired of Fitness Blender workouts in my garage in the early AM. I am going to try some jumprope workouts.
  • cleesus
    cleesus Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    What a great idea for an indoors workout. I am getting tired of Fitness Blender workouts in my garage in the early AM. I am going to try some jumprope workouts.

Yea it really is a great indoor workout, its definitely kind tough at times but I'm having fun with it. Let me know how it works out

• cleesus
    Options
    JBApplebee wrote: »
    At 9Round, the jump rope is always station #1. I love it. I sucked big time to start, but now I can go the full 3 minutes without to many screw ups. bbell1985, I don't throw the ropes, but I scream at them sometimes. I get the strange looks when I do that occasionally. Now the trainers want me to do high knees on the rope & I'm barely able to do it the normal way. When it gets warmer, I'm going to practice the high knees because it feels som awkward when I try it now.

I have been getting frustrated messing up as well but then I found out that my jump rope was too short for me (I'm 6ft) getting one that is the right size helped
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    JBApplebee wrote: »

I also go to 9Round, we don't always have the jump rope, but we do most of the time. Last week it was the challenge station and we had to do jacks while jumping...I was not so good at that. Some people complain about having round 1 be jump rope all the time, but I personally like it as a warm up.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    A quick google shows that the 120-140 RPM continuous effort being approximately equivalent to running a 10 minute mile(6 mph) which neither fast nor slow. Most run calculators are based on a 12 minute mile(5 mph)

The 10 minutes vs 30 doesn't hold up to those calculations.

This article
    https://michaelwoodfitness.com/2013/09/21/850/

Explains that the comparison is in regards to "slow jogging" vs jumping rope as pertains to improving/maintaining VO2Max. NOT caloric burn.
  • cleesus
    Options
    A quick google shows that the 120-140 RPM continuous effort being approximately equivalent to running a 10 minute mile(6 mph) which neither fast nor slow. Most run calculators are based on a 12 minute mile(5 mph)

Ive seen articles stating 10-15 mins of HIIT jump roping can be equivalent to around 30 mins of light running/jogging. But I could be mistaken im not here to die on that hill
  • stanmann571
    Options
    cleesus wrote: »

Ive seen articles stating 10-15 mins of HIIT jump roping can be equivalent to around 30 mins of light running/jogging. But I could be mistaken im not here to die on that hill

Yes, But as amended above, that refers to impact on VO2 Max, NOT caloric burn.
  • midlomel1971
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I just ordered a jump rope on Amazon yesterday!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    My comments were addressed by previous comments so deleted mine. My thoughts were similar to Azdak, but said it better that I could.

OP: I assumed you measured the burn via HRM or something like that, but even then there would be issues with the cals burned calculated.
  • cleesus
    Options

erickirb wrote: »
    My comments were addressed by previous comments so deleted mine. My thoughts were similar to Azdak, but said it better that I could.

OP: I assumed you measured the burn via HRM or something like that, but even then there would be issues with the cals burned calculated.

Yea I get what you guys are saying for sure, I wasnt really trying to focus too much on that single fact but more so that jump roping is a great alternative to running and other forms of cardio. Especially HIIT
  • cleesus
    Options

Which kind did you get?
  • stanmann571
    Options

Yea I get what you guys are saying for sure, I wasnt really trying to focus too much on that single fact but more so that jump roping is a great alternative to running and other forms of cardio. Especially HIIT

Definitely an alternative, but in the context of the discussion "Jumping rope to burn calories" needs to be a point of note/order.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

That it is. I was addressing the calorie burn claims (which are typical of media hype), but do not want to overlook the positive benefits of jumping rope, esp for interval or circuit training.

It’s relatively cheap and takes up little space.
    It does require some physical skill to master.

There is no “easy” rope jumping. The intensity level ranges from “high” to “higher” (although it’s a narrow range). Again, for intervals, that means no wasted time ramping up the effort.

The main caveat is that jumping rope is considered a higher-impact activity, at least as much as running. The smaller movement also means more stress focused on a smaller body area. This can be mitigated by slowly increasing duration, and jumping on a softer surface if possible. When I use it with clients, I prefer not to do it on carpet—which is laid directly on concrete. I use the track, which has a good rubber surface and also some padding underneath.
  • cleesus
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

That it is. I was addressing the calorie burn claims (which are typical of media hype), but do not want to overlook the positive benefits of jumping rope, esp for interval or circuit training.

It’s relatively cheap and takes up little space.
    It does require some physical skill to master.

There is no “easy” rope jumping. The intensity level ranges from “high” to “higher” (although it’s a narrow range). Again, for intervals, that means no wasted time ramping up the effort.

The main caveat is that jumping rope is considered a higher-impact activity, at least as much as running. The smaller movement also means more stress focused on a smaller body area. This can be mitigated by slowly increasing duration, and jumping on a softer surface if possible. When I use it with clients, I prefer not to do it on carpet—which is laid directly on concrete. I use the track, which has a good rubber surface and also some padding underneath.

Yeah you are right, definitely want to get a mat of some sort to reduce the impact on the knees and lessen the wearing out of the rope
  • midlomel1971
    Options

Which kind did you get?

This one. It was like $11 so I hope it's not that bad. I'm sure it's good enough to get me started and if I really like the workouts, I'll get a better one.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SAY9LLC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1