Building Muscle

Options
I want to melt away the fat and turn it into muscle... I want to be cut.

Other than basic weight exercises and puddling around on the machines at the gym... I am lost. I have been doing Gillian's 30 Day Shred but I hate jumping jacks with a passion... Actually I hate jumping around like a maniac in general. I am wondering if anyone has any other programs that they have used to help them to get cut. I want to increase my muscle! I have heard of build and cut... Not sure what that means. Any help, tips, comments, a point in the right direction.... Thanks!

Replies

• 46and2
    46and2 Posts: 167
    Options
    I'm right there with ya. Wanting to build and cut. Feel free to add me and we'll exchange ideas.
  • coolcatcan
    coolcatcan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has a Ripped in 30 days which is great (tougher than 30 DS) and she also has a 6 wk 6 pack abs workout which I love as well. Both are getting me some great muscle definition.

Good luck!
  • dlsellman
    Options
    You have to lift (heavier) weights to build muscle. (Do not be afraid of getting "big" by lifting heavy weights. The female body is different and typically will not get bulky/big without taking something for that purpose ) Diet also plays a big part in getting cut, obviously, along with a good cardio workout. I am not a pro or claim to be one by any means so you can take my advise or wait for someone else more qualified to chime in. Does your gym offer trainers? If so, see if you can get their "free" walk through and ask all the question you have then and have them show you as many excercises as they have time for. Take notes, do a few reps, learn as much as you can. Then do a little research on bodybuilding workouts (yes, bodybuilding) Not saying you are going to be huge or a gym rat in there 7 days a week. But looking at what some of those ladies do will give you a good idea of what they are doing/did to get ther cut bodies. Heavier weights lower reps will build. Lighter weights more reps will still build muscle but is more of a maintaining/toning workout. Try doing heavy one week and lighter the next Mix it up Do the same with your cardio. Try the H.I.I.T (high intensity interval training) on a treadmill or bike for your cardio. 20 minutes is all you need. Hard to beat that. I hate cardio-but 20 min is perfect.

I hope this helps get you started in the right direction.. feel free to drop me a message or maybe someone will add more or better info.
    Good Luck!!
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    You have to lift (heavier) weights to build muscle. (you/women will not get "big" by lifting heavy weights w/out taking something for that purpose) Diet also plays a big part in getting cut, obviously, along with a good cardio workout. I am not a pro or claim to be one by any means so you can take my advise or wait for someone else more qualified to chime in. Does your gym offer trainers? If so, see if you can get their "free" walk through and ask all the question you have then and have them show you as many excercises as they have time for. Take notes, do a few reps, learn as much as you can. Then do a little research on bodybuilding workouts (yes, bodybuilding) Not saying you are going to be huge or a gym rat in there 7 days a week. But looking at what some of those ladies do will give you a good idea of what they are doing/did to get ther cut bodies. Heavier weights lower reps will build. Lighter weights more reps will still build muscle but is more of a maintaining/toning workout. Try doing heavy one week and lighter the next Mix it up Do the same with your cardio. Try the H.I.I.T (high intensity interval training) on a treadmill or bike for your cardio. 20 minutes is all you need. Hard to beat that. I hate cardio-but 20 min is perfect.

I hope this helps get you started in the right direction.. feel free to drop me a message or maybe someone will add more or better info.
    Good Luck!!

This is quite helpful! I work out at my University Rec... I will have to look into seeing if they have trainers. I will have to work up to lifting heavier weights and I am not afraid of lifting the big stuff and grunting it out next to the dudes. I also don't want to injure myself.This is all pretty new to me. I do not have a lot of fat... but there is no muscle either. I wish my upper body matched my lower... My legs are completely cut from running. THANKS!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Check out a book called the New Rules of Lifting for Women.... I have been following the Men's version and it really sounds like it is exactly what you are looking for. Building muscle and burning fat
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Try the H.I.I.T (high intensity interval training) on a treadmill or bike for your cardio. 20 minutes is all you need. Hard to beat that. I hate cardio-but 20 min is perfect.

Thanks for the H.I.I.T tip, i've been soing something similar on my spinning bike. I'll do it properly now, in between RI30!!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Ditto on getting the book "New Rules of Weight Lifting". I bought this book off of Amazon for $11 and it has been a fantastic read and great reference. The author makes it simple and gives you wonderful advice, its an easy read with pictures. There is a women's version that may be perfect for you.

Also ditto on the lift heavier with fewer reps. You are NOT at risk of looking like a body builder doing this. But at heavier, lower reps you will build muscle definition faster. Get away from the machines....(this is advice you will get from the book)...machines are supposed to "target" certain muscle groups but often they do more harm than benefit. Lifting with free weights (dumbbells and bars) will give you a full body workout, you will be using way more muscles at once and doing natural movements. Machines just aren't natural.

Best of luck!!
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of Scooby before? He runs a really popular fitness website. Almost everything on there is true. I'll just quote what it says on his website so it doesn't look like I'm advertising.
    So YES, you can gain muscle and lose fat and here's how:

1.) Constant influx of protein. 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight per day taken 5-6 equal portions spaced evenly through out the day - otherwise your nuclear power plant will have to turn on between meals and burn muscle, you don't want that.
    2.) Consume enough calories to keep your body from thinking its starving but not so many calories that you gain fat, 10% under your TDEE is a good value to use. My calorie calculator will tell you exactly what that is for your type metabolism. Make sure to set your goal in step 6 to "10% calorie reduction"
    3.) Proper nutrition, make every calorie count!
    - eat unprocessed or minimally processed foods
    - eat lots of fresh vegetables
    - eat less than 30% of your calories from fat and eat only good fats like olives, nuts, and avocados
    - eat whole grains and low G.I. carbs - no simple carbs like sugar, alcohol, or white flour
    - eat omega-IIIs daily, flax or salmon are great sources
    4.) Hardcore, consistent weight workouts. You can use my custom workout plan generator to design a workout plan appropriate for you.
    5.) Daily cardio, 30-40min. Cardio will not burn muscle, it will help you gain muscle while losing fat at the same time.

Many beginners to fitness ask if they should lose their fat first or start lifting to gain muscle first, the answer is that they should do BOTH at the same time!!! Especially for beginners, it is very easy to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time!

Now lets talk about the exceptions to this, those who can't gain muscle and lose fat:
    1.) Losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time is very difficult for advanced bodybuilders. Many of them are close to their genetic limits so adding muscle is very difficult and slow for them even under the best of circumstances. Losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time is something that only beginning and intermediate bodybuilders can do. (By my somewhat arbitrary definition, an advanced bodybuilder is someone who can do 8 flawless, ultra slow-motion pullups and 20 flawless, ultra slow-motion pushups.)
    2.) Skinny teens who can't gain either fat or muscle even when they eat as much as they can.
    3.) Advanced bodybuilders with low bodyfat (under 8%).Your body needs some fat so when you get to a certain point, your body will start choosing to burn muscle instead of fat if you have a caloric deficit. If you are 8% bodyfat and want to get down to 4-6% bodyfat you wont be able to add muscle why you do this, at best you can do is to maintain your muscle mass. With regular dieting, its tough to drop down to 4-6% without losing muscle mass but carb cycling seems to really help for this specific purpose.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Ditto on getting the book "New Rules of Weight Lifting". I bought this book off of Amazon for $11 and it has been a fantastic read and great reference. The author makes it simple and gives you wonderful advice, its an easy read with pictures. There is a women's version that may be perfect for you.

Also ditto on the lift heavier with fewer reps. You are NOT at risk of looking like a body builder doing this. But at heavier, lower reps you will build muscle definition faster. Get away from the machines....(this is advice you will get from the book)...machines are supposed to "target" certain muscle groups but often they do more harm than benefit. Lifting with free weights (dumbbells and bars) will give you a full body workout, you will be using way more muscles at once and doing natural movements. Machines just aren't natural.

Best of luck!!

Another recommendation to get the book! It is a very good program. I lost some body fat and gained a good amount of strength doing it. I never followed the calorie recommendations and still gained a good amount of strength and no additional weight.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of Scooby before? He runs a really popular fitness website. Almost everything on there is true. I'll just quote what it says on his website so it doesn't look like I'm advertising.
    So YES, you can gain muscle and lose fat and here's how:

1.) Constant influx of protein. 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight per day taken 5-6 equal portions spaced evenly through out the day - otherwise your nuclear power plant will have to turn on between meals and burn muscle, you don't want that.
    2.) Consume enough calories to keep your body from thinking its starving but not so many calories that you gain fat, 10% under your TDEE is a good value to use. My calorie calculator will tell you exactly what that is for your type metabolism. Make sure to set your goal in step 6 to "10% calorie reduction"
    3.) Proper nutrition, make every calorie count!
    - eat unprocessed or minimally processed foods
    - eat lots of fresh vegetables
    - eat less than 30% of your calories from fat and eat only good fats like olives, nuts, and avocados
    - eat whole grains and low G.I. carbs - no simple carbs like sugar, alcohol, or white flour
    - eat omega-IIIs daily, flax or salmon are great sources
    4.) Hardcore, consistent weight workouts. You can use my custom workout plan generator to design a workout plan appropriate for you.
    5.) Daily cardio, 30-40min. Cardio will not burn muscle, it will help you gain muscle while losing fat at the same time.

Many beginners to fitness ask if they should lose their fat first or start lifting to gain muscle first, the answer is that they should do BOTH at the same time!!! Especially for beginners, it is very easy to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time!

Now lets talk about the exceptions to this, those who can't gain muscle and lose fat:
    1.) Losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time is very difficult for advanced bodybuilders. Many of them are close to their genetic limits so adding muscle is very difficult and slow for them even under the best of circumstances. Losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time is something that only beginning and intermediate bodybuilders can do. (By my somewhat arbitrary definition, an advanced bodybuilder is someone who can do 8 flawless, ultra slow-motion pullups and 20 flawless, ultra slow-motion pushups.)
    2.) Skinny teens who can't gain either fat or muscle even when they eat as much as they can.
    3.) Advanced bodybuilders with low bodyfat (under 8%).Your body needs some fat so when you get to a certain point, your body will start choosing to burn muscle instead of fat if you have a caloric deficit. If you are 8% bodyfat and want to get down to 4-6% bodyfat you wont be able to add muscle why you do this, at best you can do is to maintain your muscle mass. With regular dieting, its tough to drop down to 4-6% without losing muscle mass but carb cycling seems to really help for this specific purpose.

Yea some of Scooby's stuff is decent like his training routines, but alot of his nutrition advice is broscience. The very first statement he makes about the constant flux of protein, 5-6 equal portions spaced out evenly throughout the day is just plain wrong. But he's good with training regimes. He also hasn't been natural for a long time. Only recently he's gotten off the juice.
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Look up Strong Lifts 5x5 on the net. There is a free download with a wealth of info on just what you want. It includes everything you need to start a beginners program. My recommendation is to download and read thru it and then find a forum to ask any questions you might have. Then watch some videos on how to properly do the lifts. I have done the p90x and insanity routines and needed something different to "build muscle". I was led to this 5x5 program from another forum and downloaded the info. It is very easy to start with and I really liked it. Don't get fooled into thinking that it's way too easy, because you start light, to get good form, but will lift heavy later. I think I started squatting with the 45 lb bar and now am at 205. The whole "cut" thing is about diet. Lots of info out there about that too. Just remember, if you take in more calories than you use, you will add fat.
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    All of these posts are great advise! I've actually twice in my life had a 'cut' body (both times in preparation to visit the caribean) Both times I just bacically got into weight training. I'm not a petite girl, probally medium build, 5'6" 130lb at my best fitness level. I was a little worried about bulking up, was all girly, you know -"I don't want big calves & legs" "will I start to look like a guy if my arms get big?" Doesn't happen like that! It's amazing how quickly the fat melts once you really get into lifting & when you start to see the muscle definition, it just feels great! My favorite was my arms & shoulders - i think the guys will agree - it's very sexy for a girl to have toned & cut shoulders. But even better is how strong you start to feel, your energy, you will actually start to feel addicted to weight training. I'm just starting my journey to get back to that toned body. I need to loose about 5 - 8 lbs. Shouldn't be hard, if I could just get my mind into it.
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Look up Strong Lifts 5x5 on the net. There is a free download with a wealth of info on just what you want. It includes everything you need to start a beginners program. My recommendation is to download and read thru it and then find a forum to ask any questions you might have. Then watch some videos on how to properly do the lifts. I have done the p90x and insanity routines and needed something different to "build muscle". I was led to this 5x5 program from another forum and downloaded the info. It is very easy to start with and I really liked it. Don't get fooled into thinking that it's way too easy, because you start light, to get good form, but will lift heavy later. I think I started squatting with the 45 lb bar and now am at 205. The whole "cut" thing is about diet. Lots of info out there about that too. Just remember, if you take in more calories than you use, you will add fat.

This is what I do. Usually 3 times a week although I have slacked off over the summer. It is a really great and simple program and even though I still have a fair amount of fat covering my muscled you can see them way more defined than they used to be.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options

Best of luck!!

I will download this book on my e-reader... I love having books for quick reference to things.

Thanks all for the great tips!