Trader Joe’s suggestions

Options
I’m headed to Trader Joe’s next week I live two hrs away from it so anyone have any good low cal suggestions from there?

Replies

• amh927
    amh927 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Fiberful bars, nuts, yogurt, eggs, milk, premade salads, frozen Indian food (butter chicken and rice is less than 300 cal!).
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Green dragon hot sauce, unsweetened dried cherries, golden raisins, broccoli slaw, raw nuts
    12774 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Organic frozen spinach.brussels sprouts,hodgepodge(mixture of red,yellow green peppers,broccoli,carrots,mushrooms) riced cauliflower, dark chocolate all kinds, of low sodium nuts plus what is already mentioned above. Happy shopping!
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Chicken burrito bowl, reduced guilt Mac n cheese (both frozen). Also their tzaziki is low in calories. Inexpensive avocados and limes.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt

Salsa verde
  • ninjamere1
    ninjamere1 Posts: 40 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Chicken sausages are really good and lower calorie than what I find in other grocery stores. They are in the regular meat section - not frozen.

If you have a way to keep stuff frozen then check out the various fish fillets. Their prices pretty good and have several kinds usually.

Dolmas, low carb/calorie tortillas that are actually good, sweet chili sauce, check out sauce in general. Great flavors for low cost and calories to recreate some fast foods you might crave.

Also grab some bags of melange a trois. - frozen pepper strips with no onion filler. Too many brands make those bags full of mostly onions if you get a blend. Best price there.
  • gcconroy29
    gcconroy29 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love their cauliflower rice, not frozen, its in with other fresh vegetables. It doesn't last too long, so I wouldn't buy too much, but I prefer to make my own cauliflower pizza dough than use what they have frozen. I've stocked up on bags, made the 'dough' and kept in the freezer for a few weeks.

For some reason, TJ's frozen petite peas are far superior to every other frozen pea I've ever had. Everyone one in my family gobbles them up

I also love their natural peanut butter, no added sugar. Has to be kept in the fridge, unlike regular peanut butter, but I don't find it super hard to spread when its cold.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    The frozen chicken gyoza (not pork or veg) - steam or pan fry/steam and they are 200 cals for 7 - with a veg side they make a really filling dinner. I usually cover them in sriracha or a little soy sauce.
  • ketoraeray
    ketoraeray Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    21 seasoning salute & onion salt. and everything but the bagel if you are into that kind of thing.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Why there and not literally any other store? Trader Joe's is not some Holy Mecca of food shopping.

I like Trader Joe's and drop in a couple times per year but I have gotta say I don't get the hype. Sorta like IKEA. I just don't.

As for the question though - none of the stuff I have really liked from TJ's has been "healthier" fare. Dolmas, macarons, various beers, and the delicious jar of Speculoos cookie cocoa swirl. Everything else has been the same to me as every other store.

I also think this may vary more with location. I heard someone in NYC metro talking about how much cheaper it was to buy food at Trader Joe's than just about anywhere else. In the Midwest, it's just like "fancier Aldi", not a huge money saver really, although they do have pretty good prices on frozen entrees/sides. I always think I'd spend more there if I lived alone.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I like the frozen brown rice, the frozen Indian meals, tarte d’alsace (eat the whole thing as a pizza substitute for dinner lol), Chile relleno, everything but the bagel seasoning, reduced guilt spinach stuffed shells. Yum
  • rachel780mpg
    rachel780mpg Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate covered almonds rolled in turbinado sugar and sea salt, 13 almonds for 200 calories. Not too bad for a sweet snack. Chili lime chicken burgers from the freezer section are another one of my favorites.