Intermittent Fasting...

Options
Looking to do it but curious if it has helped people get over a plateau.

so right now with IIFYM, i have 2100 calories to lose weight. If i do IF, do i eat all 2100 in the allowed window?

is there a chance i actually gain weight?

Replies

• JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The "benefit" of IF is typically that it helps people adhere to their calorie deficit because they are eating for fewer hours of the day. There's no scientific proof that IF is actually a healthier way to eat in and of itself.

How long have you been at a plateau? Have you recalculated your calorie needs after losing 10+ pounds here on MFP? Have you added/changed any exercise in the last few weeks?
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »
    The "benefit" of IF is typically that it helps people adhere to their calorie deficit because they are eating for fewer hours of the day. There's no scientific proof that IF is actually a healthier way to eat in and of itself.

How long have you been at a plateau? Have you recalculated your calorie needs after losing 10+ pounds here on MFP? Have you added/changed any exercise in the last few weeks?

it was a couple of weeks but then i went to disney with the family and that killed everything. But before then i was on strictly and eating under my calories. i was stuck at 190 for a while. My goal weight is 170.

my exercises are riding on the peloton and strength training.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    The only way it will help you get over a plateau is if the change helps you focus more on your intake. Otherwise, there is nothing about IF that will inherently help with anything.
  • raven56706
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    The only way it will help you get over a plateau is if the change helps you focus more on your intake. Otherwise, there is nothing about IF that will inherently help with anything.

gotcha... thats good to know.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »

it was a couple of weeks but then i went to disney with the family and that killed everything. But before then i was on strictly and eating under my calories. i was stuck at 190 for a while. My goal weight is 170.

if you only need to lose 20 lbs you are going to have to be more accurate with your intake. so that means if you dont already weigh all your food then you may need to get a food scale and start doing that. also the less you have to lose the slower its going to be coming off. and you eat to your calories that MFP gives you,not under especially with exercise as you are supposed to eat back at least half your exercise calories. if you havent recalculated the loss of weight in mfp do that and put in your new weight and how much you need to lose. with only 20 lbs to go you should be aiming for .5(1/2) lb a week.
  • raven56706
    Options

if you only need to lose 20 lbs you are going to have to be more accurate with your intake. so that means if you dont already weigh all your food then you may need to get a food scale and start doing that. also the less you have to lose the slower its going to be coming off. and you eat to your calories that MFP gives you,not under especially with exercise as you are supposed to eat back at least half your exercise calories. if you havent recalculated the loss of weight in mfp do that and put in your new weight and how much you need to lose. with only 20 lbs to go you should be aiming for .5(1/2) lb a week.

im using the IIFYM method and already given my exercise calories. im currently at 2106 to lose weight. According to the iifym.com , its the aggressiv
    0831227 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I use intermittent fasting because it helps me staying under my calories limit - I eat from 3pm to 9pm so getting 1,200 cals in that window makes you pretty full. I allow myself to have unlimited coffee before that with almond milk. Also makes me feel more energized for long runs (8-10k), surprisingly.

Heard intermittent fasting can help you reach ''ketosis'' which I will let you google but I don't really have any thought on that since I am in no way an expert on nutrition.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

im using the IIFYM method and already given my exercise calories. im currently at 2106 to lose weight. According to the iifym.com , its the aggressiv

even with that, the weight loss is going to be slow with only 20 lbs to lose. you need to maybe change it to less aggressive setting because you cant lose what you did in the beginning as you dont have the fat stores to do so. so are you doing the 25%( I think it is,correct me if wrong I havent been to IIFYM in awhile) if so go down to 20% or even 15% and do that for awhile and give it some time. also with IIFYM ,if you havent recalculated your goals and losses in awhile then I would do that again and see what you get calorie wise. make a less aggressive goal.