Always go beyond 1300 cal a day :(

Options
Does anyone struggle with this? I want to lose 10 pounds and calculations say I should be eating 1300 cal a day. But I just can not seem to stay in this limit. Somedays I will go 300 calories above, and sometimes even 800 calories. Normaly there is no weight lost. My apettite couldn't not care lees about this limit. Can you give some advice on how to control hunger? Thank you.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    If you are exercising then it'll be fine to go above 1300....how much above it is the question and your weight loss to date will tell you the answer...

The kinds of food you eat will make a difference - high protein/fibre/fat all great for satiety.

With 10lbs to lose 0.5lb loss a week should be your aim is 1300 what MFP gave you?
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    How did you come up with 1300/day? What rate of loss did you ask MFP to give you? It might be too aggressive given that you only have 10 pounds to lose and that's why it's so low. I use IF to help me stick to my deficit, but that isn't for everyone.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Is 1,300 a realistic goal for you? Did it come from MFP? If so, what did you pick as your goal weight loss per week?
  • ane1027
    ane1027 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I picked to lose 0.5 pound per week. And 1300 calories is not only according to MFP,but also with various calculatiors online. My maintainence is 1800 cal, so -500 it comes to 1300. So what to think I should do, because my apettite also think than 1300 is low.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    ane1027 wrote: »
    I picked to lose 0.5 pound per week. And 1300 calories is not only according to MFP,but also with various calculatiors online. My maintainence is 1800 cal, so -500 it comes to 1300. So what to think I should do, because my apettite also think than 1300 is low.

A deficit of 500 calories a day is a pound a week, not half a pound. If you maintain on 1,800, then .5 a week would give you a daily goal of 1,550 calories.

Is that 1,800 to maintain calculated on a sedentary lifestyle? If the goal comes from MFP, it's based on your activity level before you do any intentional exercise. So if you exercise, you can eat more.
  • ane1027
    Options
    I ment 0.5 kg which is a pound a week. Sorry about the metric. Do guys think this is too agressive? But even with all the calculation being wrong, the scale isn't. I'm not loosing the weight.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale weigh everything? Do you pick the right entries from the database?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I ment 0.5 kg which is a pound a week. Sorry about the metric. Do guys think this is too agressive? But even with all the calculation being wrong, the scale isn't. I'm not loosing the weight.

Possibly. Ideally 0.25kg is enough loss per week when only10lbs to lose. But short term 0.5kg will be fine.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Use a food scale for all solids, double check that the entries you are using in the database are accurate.
    Are you hitting the MFP minimums for protein, fat, and fiber? They can help you feel more full.
    Trying to lose the last few lbs is slow and requires patience. Small fat losses can hide behind water weight fluctuations for weeks at a time.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Yeah, if you have trouble sticking to the calorie goal for more aggressive weight loss, try a more reasonable goal. It's better to lose a bit less per week consistently than it is to keep trying to lose more weight but failing because the calorie goal just doesn't work for you.

Have you tried adjusting your meals any to see if that helps you feel fuller? I have no idea what you're eating, but some people find that increasing the protein in their diet helps them feel fuller for longer. Others find that fiber helps with this or making sure they get sufficient fat.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Does anyone struggle with this? I want to lose 10 pounds and calculations say I should be eating 1300 cal a day. But I just can not seem to stay in this limit. Somedays I will go 300 calories above, and sometimes even 800 calories. Normaly there is no weight lost. My apettite couldn't not care lees about this limit. Can you give some advice on how to control hunger? Thank you.

How long have you been eating this way? How often are you going over?

If you're really not losing weight, you need to figure out what your average intake has been, because you're not going to lose anything earring more than you've been maintaining on.
  • ane1027
    Options
    Yes. I'm not saying that I eat 1300 and can not lose weight. MFP is great and almost everything is accurate. I' saying that I go beyond every single day and I feel bed every day cause of it. I was looking for an advice on how to stay in this sad limit.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Yes. I'm not saying that I eat 1300 and can not lose weight. MFP is great and almost everything is accurate. I' saying that I go beyond every single day and I feel bed every day cause of it. I was looking for an advice on how to stay in this sad limit.

How long since you started then and have you lost any weight?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    As am example -when I was losing I ate 1700 cals and lost 0.5lb/ approx 0.25kg a week. I am lightly active. If I had been sedentary I would have still lost eating 1450 cals. I'm only 5ft 2/48yrs.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1300 and don't consider it a sad limit. The key is to set a goal that is appropriate for you and figure out what foods satisfy you. As others have said, there is not a universal answer to this. Choose a macro to decrease, add more of the others and see how you feel after a week.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    lutzsher wrote: »
    You need to find some better food options if you are constantly going over your set calories and it makes you feel bad.
    For instance, I have given up all bread products, don't eat any dairy (allergy so no choice in this), and absolutely NO ground beef or pork as I find that those things make it too difficult to stay within my calories. Every meal should be 1/2 veggies, so yes even breakfast (1 egg with 1/4 cup egg whites and 3 big handfuls of spinach along with 1/4 cup of cheese or vegan cheese for example).
    If you are eating REAL food and eliminate all processed and ensure your plate is 1/2 veggies then you should not have an issue sticking to your calories like I have found. This is the "formula" that has helped me lose over 80 lbs so it works!
    By eating healthy and "real" food I often find that I have room at the end of the day for my 1 square of dark Lindt chocolate along with 15 almonds (I typically have room in my calorie bank for this 162 calorie dessert every night!).
    If im hungry and need a snack I always grab a cup of either green grapes, sugar snap peas, or baby carrots. If you are wise with your choices there is no reason that 1300 calories per day is unreasonable.

We know nothing about OP's current weight and activity level (except the fact that they only want to lose ten pounds is an indication they don't have a lot of excess weight). 1,300 is a reasonable goal for some people, for others it is very unreasonable.