Need to get fighting fit! 3 stone lighter by may

Options
Hi guys I was wondering if anyone has any tips for losing weight. I have put on 3 stone in a year and need to drop it for the end of may as I am going on holiday! Feel free to add me as I’d love to have some motivational friend on here to help me stay on track

Replies

• jonathanthewlis
    jonathanthewlis Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 3lb a week by using the calorie and macro tracker on here and keeping about 300 calories under my daily allowance and then HIIT cardio at the gym four times a week...it’s a lot to lose in a short period of time, but good luck
  • LaurenMT96
    LaurenMT96 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 3lb a week by using the calorie and macro tracker on here and keeping about 300 calories under my daily allowance and then HIIT cardio at the gym four times a week...it’s a lot to lose in a short period of time, but good luck

I'm also losing 3lb a week (for the last 10 weeks) , but on another post i was told that this is far too much and unsafe. How much do you have to lose? how long have you been losing 3 per week?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    You're not going to lose 42lbs in 6 weeks, you'd need a 3500 calorie deficit daily to achieve that, and that is far from achievable for most and not healthy in the slightest, it's best to get your expectations in check now.

You can maybe expect to drop a stone in that time, and that's generously allowing for some water weight at the beginning, being in the most aggressive rate of loss MFP allows and consistent losses, which as @sharon_c has already pointed out, isn't a given.

But any loss is better than no loss, and if you incorporate some strength training you will be able to improve your body composition along the way too.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    3 stone in a month and a half is extremely unhealthy. You can probably lose ten pounds in that time frame though.
  • ahowles99
    ahowles99 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know I will not be able to do it. I’m aware that it would be extremely unhealthy etc. I just want a goal. It’s inaccessible so I will continue to aim for it even after may. I am not starving myself however I have not done any exercise for a year and have eaten over 3000 cals a day. No I am eating a healthy balanced diet and am working for for at least an hour a day
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    A goal is a great way to get motivated but perhaps a more realistic one would be better, something you could achieve as it is a much better on your self esteem and confidence to actually hit your goal, plus you get the added benefit of extra motivation to keep going this way. You set yourself up to fail without a good plan, as my mentor liked to tell me throughout my own journey, "failing to plan is planning to fail".

It is more realistic to set a 1 or 2 lbs per week goal. I was obese when I started my journey and by maintaining my calorie deficit and exercising 5 days per week I was able to lose 24 pounds in 12 weeks. However the closer you get to your goal the harder it is to lose weight, I was only able to lose 1/2 lbs per week in my last 20 pounds for example.

Basically make sure that 1/2 your plate is veggies (yes even for breakfast-I rely on spinach or kale in a smoothie), a small serving of a complex carb (my go to is red potatoes or steel cut oatmeal), and lean meats like chicken breasts and lots of white fish (high in protein but very low calories).

You could lose 12 lbs in 6 weeks at the least by being diligent in the kitchen. Remember that no matter how much you work out weight loss is about 85% done in the kitchen so be very consistent with your daily calories!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    ahowles99 wrote: »
    Hi guys I was wondering if anyone has any tips for losing weight. I have put on 3 stone in a year and need to drop it for the end of may as I am going on holiday! Feel free to add me as I’d love to have some motivational friend on here to help me stay on track

That's 42 Lbs...Losing 3 stone in 4-6 weeks isn't remotely realistic. I had 40 Lbs to lose when I started...it took me 8-9 months.

Just be reasonable and get started...you may be down 6-12 Lbs in 6 weeks.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Just to everyone knows I meant may 2019!

Glad to hear it :smile: that's definitely achievable.

Ignore all the bro-science woo up above about fat burners and cutting out carbs, totally unnecessary and fat burners are a waste of money. Legal weight loss supplements are one of two things - overpriced caffeine tablets that suppress appetite for a short while before you get used to it (cheaper to have a cup of coffee or just buy caffeine tablets) or overpriced laxatives which does nothing for fat loss just makes you lose water weight, which you'll gain back. Almost all weight loss supplements state on the packet "as part of a calorie controlled diet" or with a healthy lifestyle. It's the calorie deficit that causes weight loss.

• Abby_95x
    Abby_95x Posts: 150 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Of course you will be able to do it, especially by May 2018! Thats 13 months, plenty of time. People saying that it is unhealthy, I have seen Slimming World members loose 5 stone in a year yet everyone reads their success stories and sign up!! You can totally do this :smiley:
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Abby123x wrote: »

Of course you will be able to do it, especially by May 2018! Thats 13 months, plenty of time. People saying that it is unhealthy, I have seen Slimming World members loose 5 stone in a year yet everyone reads their success stories and sign up!! You can totally do this :smiley:

People were saying it was unhealthy because it came across that she meant this May, not in 13 months time.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    zakbailey7 wrote: »
    zakbailey7 wrote: »
    If your signed up at a gym, try T5 fat burners... They are very good and just hit cardio hard. You can make homemade drinks as well e.g lemon water with bicarbonate soda. Cut cards out and stick to lean foods chicken and lean beef as it's high protein and have with broccoli or spinach etc

Nope

Erm... Yes!

Why, it's barely even more caffeine than a diet soda. Not including the fact, that you would have to cycle the caffeine, it's almost laughable. Fat burners don't burn fat, they increase energy to potentially push harder in a workout, but that is assuming you aren't a habitual consumer. Most good pre-workouts dose at 300-400mg due to that effect.

And there is no reason to cut carbs outside of personal preference. All you are doing is depleting glycogen, which ironically helps with gym performance.

OP, just be consistent. I'd definitely recommend consuming a bit higher protein (1.5-2.2g/kg or even .8-1g per lb of your goal weight). I'd also recommend incorporating some resistance training to help maintain your muscle mass and metabolic rate, and then some cardio for heart health.