Anyone abstained from favourite foods for a while?

First of all I am not trying to do any fad diets and I'm all for to just eat what I want but less of it but I'm struggling with this lately .

I 've lost 10 lb with 16lbs to go . My mood has been up and down alot while adjusting to new meds for Bipolar and atm I'm adjusting to Pregablin which is making me drowsy and hungry . I start day ok but have started having binges where I devour anything sweet in the house and just have no self control.

I know that I am responsible for what I eat but I am struggling not to have 1,2 snacks which then turns into 10.

So has anyone conciecly decided not to have foods around that makes them want to binge for a while ? I'm thinking of staying away from them until my mood is on a bit more even keel and just make an effort to eat a bit healthier in the meantime . I 've spent around 500 cal yesterday on chocolate and sweets and that was BEFORE I had a massive binge so want to try to replace it with more fruit and veg.

Again not blaming meds for anything just explaining my circumstances.
I really want to lose rest of my weight ,Im set to lose pound a week so not too aggressive.

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Mine wasn't a food....it was Mtn Dew. I could easily drink over two liters a day and found "cutting back" just didn't work. So I cut it out cold turkey for over a year. Now I drink it if I go out to eat or am in a situation where I will have access to only a limited amount.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    nope, because i know if i really want something - not having it in the house isn't going to do anything - i'll go to the store and get it.

for me, I plan those foods i normally binge on into my daily calorie count - if i've alloted myself 2 pieces of chocolate, then i'm less likely to keep eating because i can see how it fits etc
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Thanks everyone it's good to see everyone's experiences. I think I have been making it hard on myself because at this stage I am really struggling with moderation and binges have been occurring alot more.

I don't want to put weight back that I lost so will just not keep stuff in the house that I binge on until I feel better and more in control .

If I'm really desperate for something I'll walk to the store to get it instead of having unlimited supply in the cupboards.

I have been successful of eating less of it and losing 10lbs but I just can't do it now so will give myself best chance to lose rest of my weight and try and replace my favourites with less calorific stuff.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Thanks everyone it's good to see everyone's experiences. I think I have been making it hard on myself because at this stage I am really struggling with moderation and binges have been occurring alot more.

I don't want to put weight back that I lost so will just not keep stuff in the house that I binge on until I feel better and more in control .

If I'm really desperate for something I'll walk to the store to get it instead of having unlimited supply in the cupboards.

I have been successful of eating less of it and losing 10lbs but I just can't do it now so will give myself best chance to lose rest of my weight and try and replace my favourites with less calorific stuff.

That sounds reasonable to me. I think that people are wary of being overly restrictive while losing weight because that can lead to binging or regaining, but I think that it's possible to avoid those problems while still learning moderation. There are plenty of options in between "never eating X again" or "eating X whenever you want." Play around with it and see what works. And remember that your less calorific substitutes don't have to be carrot sticks and green beans. I mentioned above having to keep popcorn out of the house - I've actually replaced it with jelly beans! I don't have much of a sweet tooth, so 100-150 calories of jelly beans is a perfectly adequate dessert. I'd rather have 500 calories of cheesy popcorn, of course, but that's just not going to work every day.

Good luck!
  • jjalbertt
    jjalbertt Posts: 98 Member
    I don't keep ice cream in the house at the moment... If I do I'll eat all of it
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    I eat my favorites in moderation because in this day and age you can order whatever you want and people bring it to you, you don't even have to leave your house.
  • JorrunFulhelm
    JorrunFulhelm Posts: 42 Member
    I don't keep junk food in the house at all. I also withheld any pasta or bread for about 3 months. I have been VERY SLOWLY incorporating healthy amounts of grains, pasta, and breads back into my diet. Of course when I say those terms I mean whole wheats and grains, also things like quinoa and the like. I actually don't miss rice at all, I have been loving riced cauliflower instead.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    I abstain from a lot of foods I greatly enjoy while trying to lose weight. Well, I mean, if I have the calories, I'll go ahead and have some ice cream once every two weeks or something... but having it every day (with chocolate syrup too!) is a no go.

I find that it is difficult for me to just have one or two small snacks. It turns into a flood of food. So, I simply brush my teeth, floss, rinse, etc. purposely taking plenty of time and care on my teeth and mouth so that I am further encouraged not to eat anymore.

If that doesn't work, I try to turn to the healthiest snacks I can find, like celery sticks, radishes, etc.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,899 Member
    This is the time to know your personal limitations. Yours may not be like someone elses.
    There is stuff not welcome in my house because of "my" self control issues. No cheetos...cake....fig newtons....stick butter....spam....macaroons and any gummy fruit candy. No no no!!!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,899 Member
    Ice cream could sit in my freezer till the ice age returns....not my thing
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,628 Member
    same here as most, there are a few things I just don't buy & a few I only buy when I plan to eat some & tell my husband to eat the rest
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I totally thing it's fair to not keep stuff around that might lead you down a path you can't stop. I think knowing yourself and your eating habits and triggers are a huge part of being successful.
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    It's absolutely OK to refrain from having certain foods around! Just because you CAN have them in a calorie deficit doesn't mean you should if they are a trigger food. That just sabotages your progress and beats down your willpower even if you think it might be OK this time.

If I'm losing, I cannot buy large containers of ice cream or certain chips & cookies & candies (especially if they're any type of chocolate covered nuts.) I'm still learning this for myself, although i had the epiphany over 5 years ago.

It's weird, but I am perfectly satisfied with 1 or 2 Dove or other individually wrapped dark chocolate square, but if I buy a full bar of the same stuff, I will eat the whole thing. If we walk to the ice cream shoppe a mile away, all I want is a small sugar cone and I have no desire for more. But if I buy a half gallon of sub-par ice cream and stick it in the fridge, it will be gone in a day.

For a recent example, last week after Easter, all the candy went on sale. I bought 3 bags of M&Ms since they can last for a while in our house. One each of Peanut, Milk, & Caramel. I tell myself that "Yes, I'm all better now, I can handle multiple-serving treats without finishing the whole bag!" The Peanut bag (~1750 calories) was gone before the end of the work day. I literally ate myself sick. I made sure that the milk & caramel ones stayed with the family (I've mentally labeled them "NOT MINE"), and since they are all able to take a little at a time, both bags are still there.

I have to constantly remind myself of my own limits and not try to hurt my progress any more. I also need to stop talking myself into doing things that I know that I have not been able to do in the past.

So it's OK to take this time and figure out what your triggers are. Remind yourself that it's not forever, and maybe you just need to find out how to moderate certain things while you're adjusting.

Good luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Rogstar wrote: »
    It's absolutely OK to refrain from having certain foods around! Just because you CAN have them in a calorie deficit doesn't mean you should if they are a trigger food. That just sabotages your progress and beats down your willpower even if you think it might be OK this time.

If I'm losing, I cannot buy large containers of ice cream or certain chips & cookies & candies (especially if they're any type of chocolate covered nuts.) I'm still learning this for myself, although i had the epiphany over 5 years ago.

It's weird, but I am perfectly satisfied with 1 or 2 Dove or other individually wrapped dark chocolate square, but if I buy a full bar of the same stuff, I will eat the whole thing. If we walk to the ice cream shoppe a mile away, all I want is a small sugar cone and I have no desire for more. But if I buy a half gallon of sub-par ice cream and stick it in the fridge, it will be gone in a day.

For a recent example, last week after Easter, all the candy went on sale. I bought 3 bags of M&Ms since they can last for a while in our house. One each of Peanut, Milk, & Caramel. I tell myself that "Yes, I'm all better now, I can handle multiple-serving treats without finishing the whole bag!" The Peanut bag (~1750 calories) was gone before the end of the work day. I literally ate myself sick. I made sure that the milk & caramel ones stayed with the family (I've mentally labeled them "NOT MINE"), and since they are all able to take a little at a time, both bags are still there.

I have to constantly remind myself of my own limits and not try to hurt my progress any more. I also need to stop talking myself into doing things that I know that I have not been able to do in the past.

So it's OK to take this time and figure out what your triggers are. Remind yourself that it's not forever, and maybe you just need to find out how to moderate certain things while you're adjusting.

Good luck!

Ah, @Rogstar, you have perfectly described the dilemma of the Completion Compulsion :)

Since buying bigger is usually cheaper, I had to retrain my brain to think "calories cost per serving" vs "dollars cost per pound", in which one serving = one container, or package.

Funny, one bar of chocolate = 1 serving to my brain, no matter how much it weighs, but I can be satisfied with 50 calories worth of chocolate chips.