Leg Cramps

Options
I got the mother of all leg cramps in my left thigh last night. ! Yesterday was leg day. I did legs. I did my 30 minutes of treadmill. Nothing out of the oridnary. Except... I walked the dog for 30 minutes.... Not fast though. I drink tons of water, have a bannana every day for breakfast and take calcium daily. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    it's kind of ironic you did all that working out & then walking the dog hurts (just sayin')
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You may be doing this already, but just in case...

Before any excercise. Walking, running, gym, swimming whatever, be sure to stretch the main muscles in your legs. Calfs, Hamstring, gluts etc. You'll find plenty of websites giving you the right stretches. It only takes a few minutes but it prevents, torn/strained muscles and cramping. I find as I get older that this is an essential part of any excercise routine. Goodluck.
  • momma_roo
    momma_roo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Do you do any stretching or yoga? That is the only other thing I can think of other than what you mentioned....
  • lazybis
    lazybis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    improve your diet. have more iron. foods like spinach and other green vegetables..and more bananas maybe.
  • wnw64
    wnw64 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water; if not, you may be dehydrated. I get unwelcome cramps & pain when I don't do a good job replenishing water loss. I think the minimum necessary is 8-9 servings of 8oz cups/day.
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    When working out you lose salt thru your sweating, loss of potassium causes muscle cramps. Try either gatorade[sugar] or diet ginger ale[no sugar] your preferance. Are you drinking water during workout? At least cup every hr.[8 oz] One final comment resting 48hrs between workouts.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Add Potassium (K) to your food diary and see if you can increase your K intake. I added lots more yesterday after experiencing horrible leg cramps two days into the program. Last night was pain free.