Why am I not losing weight?

Options
I am documenting all of my meals on myfitnesspal, and tend to stay under the 1200 limit. Occasionally I'll go over to about 1300 calories, but I workout daily. According to my iWatch I burn anywhere between 800-1100 calories per day. That alone I should be losing 2-3lbs a week. My workout regime includes stair stepping, weights, and I run 2 miles outside. It's been just about 3 weeks into my diet, and I lost 2lbs just to gain it back today. I drink protein shakes for breakfast, stay away from fried foods, cut alcohol out of my diet. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Also what's your current weight height and goal weight, 2-3 pounds loss a week is really only realistic if you have a lot to lose, if you're already close to goal you may be setting yourself up to lose lean muscle instead of fat with that aggressive a goal.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    If the 800-1100 cals from the Apple Watch refers to the red ring, you are not understanding those correctly. You should only count workout calories towards your deficit, which, if you don't have it linked to MFP, you can double check in your Activity app on your iPhone.
  • Lhen1989
    Lhen1989 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I've asked myself the same question, then I stumbled upon this article.

http://www.coachcalorie.com/working-out-but-gaining-weight/

Please, check it out. :)
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    a food scale is important--unless you weigh and measure everything you dont know how many calories you're consuming. In my case, being off by 200 calories (sooo easy to do--that's like figuring on 1tb of olive oil but its really two and forgetting about 7 cashews) means no deficit.

secondly, the calorie burn for exercise sounds pretty high. When I do 45 min of cardio and 30 min of weight training, I burn around 300 and even that might be inflated.

• vmbourg
    vmbourg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging my calories burned. I use a Heart Rate monitor and usually adjust it down 50 cals each 30 mins of workout. But I have learned that the HRM is not as accurate when it comes to strength training vs cardio. I know my BMR is about 1400 cals, so I set me calorie goal to 1600 on non workout days. On workout days , depening how long and hard I hit it, I eat anywhere between 1700-1800 calories. I still log my workouts so I can track how many minutes / how many times per week I am doing, but I just override my calories burned to 1 calorie so it doesnt mess with my remaining calories for the day.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Can you open your Diary to be viewed by us so we can see what you are eating? I have searched numerous online macro calculators and the one that I use is IIFYM.com. It seems to be spot on, for me at least. :)
  • beckyr06
    beckyr06 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Lhen1989 wrote: »
    I've asked myself the same question, then I stumbled upon this article.

http://www.coachcalorie.com/working-out-but-gaining-weight/

Please, check it out. :)

Thanks for that. I went on the site and also found this article:

http://www.coachcalorie.com/eating-1200-calories-but-cant-lose-weight/

Very well written and good explanations. I would add to OP that other health conditions can affect weight loss, including severe iron-deficiency anemia (speaking from experience).

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    karigran wrote: »
    I am documenting all of my meals on myfitnesspal, and tend to stay under the 1200 limit. Occasionally I'll go over to about 1300 calories, but I workout daily. According to my iWatch I burn anywhere between 800-1100 calories per day. That alone I should be losing 2-3lbs a week. My workout regime includes stair stepping, weights, and I run 2 miles outside. It's been just about 3 weeks into my diet, and I lost 2lbs just to gain it back today. I drink protein shakes for breakfast, stay away from fried foods, cut alcohol out of my diet. What am I doing wrong?

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Also, where are you in your menstrual cycle? I gain at ovulation and right before my TOM. Because of this (and because Lyle McDonald said to) I compare myself to last month, not last week.