Still feel hungry

Options
Hi. So my daily cals are 1300, and I also do IF. I have my lunch, whatever my meal prep for the week is, and snacks inbetween until I reach 1300. However, sometimes I still feel hungry but I don't want to eat more and be counterproductive to my weight loss. What are some things to do so I can feel really full on 1300 cals? I'm 5'2, 156lbs, 21yr female for reference and my daily activity is sedentary besides when I go to the gym 5x with strength training/cardio

Replies

• vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? Just curious. I’d be hungry on 1300 calories too. I’d focus on fiber rich foods since they help you stay satisfied longer.
  • digidoomed
    digidoomed Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    vallary14 wrote: »
    What are you eating? Just curious. I’d be hungry on 1300 calories too. I’d focus on fiber rich foods since they help you stay satisfied longer.

I usually have a turkey burger w cheese on wheat with two eggs for lunch, yogurt, a protein bar, and whatever I have for my meal preps for dinner which is usually a meat/fish with something like rice or potatoes and veggies
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    First, are you logging your exercise and eating some of those calories back? MFP gives you your calorie goal assuming you will eat more on days you get exercise.

How long has this been a problem? If it's only been a couple days, sometimes it can take a little time for your appetite to get used to diet changes and lower calories.

Are you hitting your protein, fat, and fiber goals? Those things are generally satiating for people, but everyone's different.

What time of day do you feel hungry, compared to when you eat? Some people do better eating big meals and not snacking, others do better eating small meals and snacks throughout the day. Maybe playing around with your eating schedule would help.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    digidoomed wrote: »

I usually have a turkey burger w cheese on wheat with two eggs for lunch, yogurt, a protein bar, and whatever I have for my meal preps for dinner which is usually a meat/fish with something like rice or potatoes and veggies

So no breakfast? I’d lose the bar and snack on unsalted almonds or pistachios and maybe a date or two. Raw carrots and celery are pretty satisfying as long as they’re fresh and are very low calorie.
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar boat, been losing a lb a week fairly consistently for around 2 months without any issues but the last few days I have been at times pretty hungry and eating over my goal
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Try swapping out the bread for a serving of beans. And change out the cheese for avocado. Instead of yogurt, have cottage cheese with berries (or some other fruit). And then instead of the protein bar- make a quesadilla or a cheese sandwich or a peanut butter sandwich or a turkey sandwich etc. so you still get the bread and cheese, just elsewhere in the day.
  • digidoomed
    Options

So no breakfast? I’d lose the bar and snack on unsalted almonds or pistachios and maybe a date or two. Raw carrots and celery are pretty satisfying as long as they’re fresh and are very low calorie.

Im usually in a rush in the morning & I've never been a breakfast person. I took up intermittent fasting so I don't eat till 1 anyway
  • digidoomed
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    First, are you logging your exercise and eating some of those calories back? MFP gives you your calorie goal assuming you will eat more on days you get exercise.

How long has this been a problem? If it's only been a couple days, sometimes it can take a little time for your appetite to get used to diet changes and lower calories.

Are you hitting your protein, fat, and fiber goals? Those things are generally satiating for people, but everyone's different.

What time of day do you feel hungry, compared to when you eat? Some people do better eating big meals and not snacking, others do better eating small meals and snacks throughout the day. Maybe playing around with your eating schedule would help.

I do log my exercise, but I'm always afraid of eating back the cals as its hard to even determine how much you really burned. also its the middle of the day when I start feeling hungry
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You should eat back your exercise calories. even if you just eat back half. are you tracking your weight? are you loosing according to your goal or faster? If faster you could certainly eat back some exercise calories. Also is your goal suitable for how much you weigh and how much you want to loose? the close to goal the harder it is to loose and the slower your rate will/should be.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    eat your exercise calories. you don't want to be eating less than 1200 at the very least. plus your body needs the calories to repair itself after exercise.
    make sure you eat enough fiber, fat, and protien. these keep you full.
    i like fruit and vegetables that are high water content and high fiber.
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I do log my exercise, but I'm always afraid of eating back the cals as its hard to even determine how much you really burned. also its the middle of the day when I start feeling hungry

I totally understand this. When I log my exercise, I change the calories burned to be about half what MFP estimates. And I don't go out of my way to eat them back unless I'm actually hungry. If I'm not hungry, I don't worry about it. I'm sure I'll have a day later in the week where I'm ravenous :D
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am aiming for 1200 and, when I’m focused on the choices I’m making I never feel hungry.

Everyone is different so you’ll have to experiment a bit to what satisfies you. I personally like to eat a big evening meal. I allocate 600 for dinner and I eat a mountain of veggies. My plate is piled high. I’ll make an oriental noodle bowl - mostly veg and tofu with 100 cats of noodles, or a veggie stir fry with a 100 cals of rice for example. I aim to eat lots of low calorie items to make a big meal, and it increases my veggie in take so good news all round.

I eat a small breakfast, 100 cats porridge oats cooked with water. Lunch is 300 calories, usually soup. Then I have 200 calories to play with - fruit, snacks, wine whatever it is I want that day.

This approach works well for me. I know a big evening meal is what I need to avoid being hungry. It all goes wrong if I don’t plan and I eat my calories in something more calorific by weight, like if I make a dish that is not predominantly vegetables. Then my calorie allowance means a small portion and I’ll be hungry. So for me it’s all about planning so I can make choices I know work for me.

I don’t eat back exercise calories. 45 mins on a treadmill is not burning so many calories that I feel I need to when I am trying to drop s few pounds. My husband on the other hand will cycle on the road for 4hrs and come home and eat a big slice of cake! He’s thinner than me, but exercises everyday without fail so he can eat cake at the weekend and not worry about it. He has a sweet tooth so that works for him.