Feeling defeated from someone's insensitive remarks today

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this is not the right forum but I'm feeling kind of defeated today and need to vent.

I'm still obese but am making great progress on my weight loss goals. MyFitnessPal is truly a blessing, by the way. :smile:

Anyway, today, my wife and I decided to go to a local park to walk. We're usually at the gym but decided to take advantage of the nice weather. As I finished my first lap around the park, a lady whom I don't even know decides to ask me:

Her: "Are you all out trying to lose some weight?"

Me: "Yeah, just enjoying the nice weather."

Her: Have you ever seen that show "Bariatric Surgery?" (She meant TLC's "My 600 Pound Life.")

Me: "Yeah."

Her: "You should really try that!" "They have people 600 or more pounds on there losing weight." "I think it would really work for you!"

While I'm still medically obese, I'm nowhere near the size of people on that show. It was almost like she was trying to sell weight loss surgery to me.

Now, I'm trying to walk away the whole time and instead of turning around and censuring her for her insensitive remarks, I'm shocked to the core at what I'm hearing. I turn to my wife, whose several feet behind me and inform her what the lady said. Naturally, she was furious and wanted to tell her off. I was still in so much shock and felt humiliated and defeated, I just wanted to leave.

I don't think her remarks were made out of malice but seriously, how could she NOT see that a comment like that directed at someone trying to better their health would be insulting??

Why do people feel it's their business to but in on things like this?!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Man, I wish I was there! I’d tell her off! Some people are just stupid. Hugs
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    You must carry on regardless of ignorant people.
    "what doesn't kill you will make you stronger!"
    Be Strong and Carry On! {《HUGS》}
  • GingerGale1
    GingerGale1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    People no longer have manners. Hold your head high and carry on! B)
  • KiwiLifter
    KiwiLifter Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Wtf who actually does that?

Dirt off your shoulder anyway, just brush it off, carry on :)
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Agree with others that some people are just cluelessly insensitive versus deliberately mean. It doesn't matter which category this person falls into.

Feel good about what you're doing for yourself and keep it up!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    "Sorry, I don't take medical advice from strangers or amateurs"
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    "sorry, where did you say you got your medical degree from again?"
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Isn't it sad that people are actually that dumb? I feel so sorry for her. I hope she has someone to help her make it through life.
    People just shouldn't be that dumb.