Energy for motivation?

Options
mechwd
mechwd Posts: 29 Member
So I guess a little background.

Last year I lost at my most, 40lbs all due to eating correctly. This year I fell off the wagon and gained 10 of those back. As of today I am getting back on, to lose my remaining 30lbs.

The biggest thing I know I need to do is exercise. I play ice hockey at least once a week and my energy is so low most of the time while I play. I feel stiff even though I stretch before games. I sit at a desk all day for work, so my energy level is low most of the day.

What are some things I can do to get my energy level up so I feel like exercising? Or does that come from just getting off my tail and doing it?

(started at 265lbs, currently at 235lbs)

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Is hockey the only time during the week that you exercise?
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Are you on any sort of restrictive diet?
  • mechwd
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

For the most part yes. I plan on using a slideboard to work my legs, and I will be doing stick handling which work my arms.

Nothing acidic, no junk food, and eat under my calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mechwd wrote: »

For the most part yes. I plan on using a slideboard to work my legs, and I will be doing stick handling which work my arms.

Nothing acidic, no junk food, and eat under my calories.

How much under your calories? Are you saying you have a specific goal for calories that would put you at a deficit and you eat below that?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    In addition to getting your diet in order (you have to fuel your workouts) I would suggest adding additional exercise into your week. Maybe weight lifting or running. I can't comment too much since I don't play hockey (tried that once - it did not end well :D ) but some sort of other cross training is important. You can't build the strength and endurance you need doing an activity once a week.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    How is your sleep? Sometimes a lack of energy is legitimately fatigue.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to find ways to motivate you (mental), or things that will help you feel better during exercise (physical)?

If the first, I got nothing. You just have to want to change more than you want to stay the same. Simple, but not easy.

If the latter, I'd first look at the basics - are you getting enough sleep? Are you getting enough calories? Are you getting reasonable nutrition (macro/micro nutrients)? After that, I'd look at your conditioning (i.e. get in better shape).
  • mechwd
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Are you trying to find ways to motivate you (mental), or things that will help you feel better during exercise (physical)?

If the first, I got nothing. You just have to want to change more than you want to stay the same. Simple, but not easy.

If the latter, I'd first look at the basics - are you getting enough sleep? Are you getting enough calories? Are you getting reasonable nutrition (macro/micro nutrients)? After that, I'd look at your conditioning (i.e. get in better shape).

Mental and Physical. Im just starting to get back into my diet, so I need to adjust things there. Im for sure getting enough calories. Too many (part of the issue). :)

Basically looking for ideas to start exercising so I can have enough energy to keep it up I guess.
  • mechwd
    Options
    In addition to getting your diet in order (you have to fuel your workouts) I would suggest adding additional exercise into your week. Maybe weight lifting or running. I can't comment too much since I don't play hockey (tried that once - it did not end well :D ) but some sort of other cross training is important. You can't build the strength and endurance you need doing an activity once a week.

Very true. I don't have the mental confidence to go to a gym, so for now it has to be done at home (or outside my house).

In terms of exercise, hockey takes a lot out of you as it is very physical. I typically need a rest day the day after a game (which are usually late as I get home from those about 1am). The other days I am just too lazy to do anything. :(
  • Fenomka
    Fenomka Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Two big things I found help me with energy are A) making sure I'm getting enough protein and B) just getting moving - I also work a pretty sedentary job where I sit a lot, so I make sure that I get up and move around throughout the day, especially when I'm feeling the most tired - it gets my blood flowing, and helps me feel more awake. It doesn't have to be a lot - even just standing up and walking in place for a minute and moving your arms around a bit will help boost your blood flow, getting more oxygen to your brain which can make tons of difference.

Best of luck!
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    For me, moving begets exercise. For the first little while I just tried to move (generically, to do whatever felt good that day like walking, yoga, etc) and focused on consistency. The more you exercise, the more energetic you become. Like you noted above, hockey involves a lot of exertion so take it easier the other days for the first while - but still get moving.

The rest is just meeting your body's needs for fuel. Lots of water, enough sleep, a fairly nutritious diet with protein to support your energy needs.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    For motivation... find things you enjoy so that it's not so much like dragging yourself to the gym/pool/track/whatever because you *have* to *workout*. If it's fun you're more apt to do it.

For energy, get the diet thing reigned in... that will help. But a lot of it is just going to be conditioning that you have to work on. Start with moderate intensity stuff (whatever you enjoy doing), and work on doing it for longer duration. That will build your endurance/stamina.
  • mechwd
    Options
    Thanks guys.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,982 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I had a trainer familiar with my sport set up a training plan for me (he just put the plan together, I'm familiar enough with most exercises form isn't a big issue, so I wasn't paying for "personal training" persay). We started rather basic, 3 days a week (I was able to complete my workout in about 45 min including stretching at the end) and when that got 'easy' I had him set up a more intense plan with 5 days a week. Then I had him put together my final training plan which was pretty darn intense, but I took it in stages to a) give me time to adjust and b) to help prevent any injuries from over training/pushing too hard, too soon.

At first, it was just about making it happen.

I'd set my alarm 15 min earlier than normal, and get up and just do some push-ups, sit-ups, and a couple stretches. After a week or two, moved it back another 15 min. Then back 30 and started going to the gym. Eventually worked it back to where I have a full 2 hours in the gym most days now, before work, so I don't get sucked into the "I'm worn out/have to do X, Y, or Z" excuses.

As my intensity increased I also ended up tweaking my diet a bit. Right now trying to find the balance between trying to cut a bit and still not lose my energy levels. Slow loss is the name of the game here, at least for me. About .3-.6 lb/week seems to be working. Much more and my energy levels almost instantly decrease.
  • overly33
    overly33 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What works for me is to do it with friends. Having them around challenges me and pushes me to try a bit harder so I won't be the worst of all. Sometimes I meet up with new people in new places to change the dynamics; it's fun to do once in a while! LeisureClick is my go-to website to find such people with similar interests. I hope this helps!
  • HockeyGoalie35
    HockeyGoalie35 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Fellow beer league all start with the same issue. What I've come to find with hockey being my main mode of exercise is its not enough.
    I could play 5 games in a day and be fine but I doubt in my current shape I could run a mile. I can drop into the butterfly and get up 100 times with no issues, but my thighs are burning after 10 kettlebell squats. 15 years of hockey has built up what I need to play and left everything else.

I've started heavybag training and kettlebell workouts. When I workout, I feel better, I have more energy. Water is a huge part to, I have a physical job so I'm usually drinking 1 gallon a day. I feel like the slide board would almost be a trap, sure it's cardio, but your are working on muscles you likely have pretty developed. Try branching out into something new. Throw your muscles a curve ball.