Protein Powder - Muscle & Size Gainer - Really?

Options
Hi,

I'm currently shopping around for a cheap source of protein powder so I can try out some recipes. Hubby and I are not trying to gain, we are losing weight whilst attempting to retain as much muscle as possible. So we're keen to keep our protein intake at optimum levels.

I came across the low calorie protein cheesecake recipe on here, that hubby would like to try, and it requires protein powder. But my God, there are so many varieties and brands, and they are all pretty expensive.

I've seen one on offer, but it's called 'Precision Engineered Muscle & Size Gainer Powder'. Is it really any different to any other protein powder? Or is it just making some somewhat dubious claims about it's ability to give you bulk/muscles?

I just don't want to hinder our weight loss journey.

Cheers.

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I'd have to look up that particular product to say for sure, but most "gainers" are higher calorie supplements, typically with more than just protein (meaningful amounts of fats and/or carbs too).

Protein powder should be almost exclusively protein.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Look at the nutritional labels - find something with as little carbs and fat as possible. My WPI has minimal amounts of both, it's predominantly protein.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Rather than use a powder just increase your protein macro compared with the others and make sure you eat plenty of lean protein and do enough resistance exercise to maintain muscle.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'll have a look at labels and compare to find one that suits our needs.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,426 Member
    Options
    Surely just eating more protein rather than carbs or fats doesn't convince your body to preserve muscles and burn fat instead in the absense of strength training? I do stand corrected if this really IS the case.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Surely just eating more protein rather than carbs or fats doesn't convince your body to preserve muscles and burn fat instead in the absense of strength training? I do stand corrected if this really IS the case.

Your body needs amino acids to make stuff work. If you don't give them to your body through food, it has to get them from somewhere...
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    honestly im stupid im sure i just get a cheap no name brand protein powder from grocery store for baking with >.> I eat healthy enough elsewhere for me its just a baking ingredient for protein angel food cake and occasionally added into nice cream so it works for me. Im sure its crap and people should be slapping me and telling me to pay out for quality though lol.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

@yirara
    You stand corrected. :)
    Just ingesting protein does increase muscle protein synthesis. Remember both breakdown and synthesis are normal parts of life and not just related to exercise.

A higher protein diet and no exercise would still be significantly better for muscle retention in a deficit than a low protein diet and no exercise.

Not as optimal as exercise + protein of course.

A couple of interesting videos linked here....
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10657380/mps-2-part-youtube-video#latest
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

@yirara
    Just ingesting protein does increase muscle protein synthesis. Remember both breakdown and synthesis are normal parts of life and not just related to exercise.

A higher protein diet and no exercise would still be significantly better for muscle retention in a deficit than a low protein diet and no exercise.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10657380/mps-2-part-youtube-video#latest

So best is

Protein+exercise

Worst is Low protein no exercise

For 2/3 is Low Protein+exercise better or worse than High protein+sedentary?
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    You can find a third party ranking of protein powders here: https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein
  • sijomial
    Options

@yirara

So best is

Protein+exercise

Worst is Low protein no exercise

For 2/3 is Low Protein+exercise better or worse than High protein+sedentary?

Where's Lyle McDonald when you need him? ;)

I would guess that the type and volume of exercise would also complicate the question further.
    As would the size of deficit and the length of time that deficit is sustained.
    Plus what made up the rest of the low protein diet could be a factor - carbs tend to be protein sparing during exercise for example.
  • euronorris
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    honestly im stupid im sure i just get a cheap no name brand protein powder from grocery store for baking with >.> I eat healthy enough elsewhere for me its just a baking ingredient for protein angel food cake and occasionally added into nice cream so it works for me. Im sure its crap and people should be slapping me and telling me to pay out for quality though lol.

I'm no expert, so couldn't comment either way! lol. But I'm UK based and our grocery stores only stock a very limited range of protein powders (some don't stock at all), and I haven't come across any that sell a cheap, no name version. Even with sales etc that I've been looking at, it's going to cost me £19.99 for a tub of 908g. The bulk and gain version was on sale at £7.99, so you can see why I asked about it! The price difference was nothing to be sniffed at.

Like most people, I have to balance between quality and price, but I am glad I asked today about the difference between the bulk and gain powders and the standard ones. I was honestly thinking it was a bit of a selling gimmick, so I am very glad I checked!

FYI, we are planning on exercising also, including some resistance training. But hubby is currently working on building up some basic fitness, after spending way too long being sedentary, so it's walks for him. And I am working on repairing my diastasis after pregnancy (I have a program to follow to help heal the gap).

Thanks everyone :)
  • sijomial
    Options
    I'm in the UK too.
    Worth checking out The Protein Works as they have a good range.

And a bit like DFS they always seem to have a sale on....

One I would recommend avoiding is Holland & Barrett - their banana one tastes like iron filings.
  • euronorris
    Options
    Oh thanks, I'll check it out!

H&B seem really overpriced anyway!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,426 Member
    Options

@yirara

• h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If you want value for money and a lab tested powder, go online to Myprotein.com and order the impact whey isolate or cheaper impact whey protein... it’s a no gimmick powder, flavoured or flavourless ... reputable company
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    If you want value for money and a lab tested powder, go online to Myprotein.com and order the impact whey isolate or cheaper impact whey protein... it’s a no gimmick powder, flavoured or flavourless ... reputable company

Thanks for that hint. Just ordered some of it since I'm running out and was annoyed that there's no flavorless powder to be found in shops around here. :smiley:
  • hannamarie0098
    hannamarie0098 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »

I second my protein. They always have good discounts too
  • euronorris
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations. I have something on order from MyProtein now. Hubby is very much looking forward to trying the cheesecake! lol
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK too.
    Worth checking out The Protein Works as they have a good range.

And a bit like DFS they always seem to have a sale on....

One I would recommend avoiding is Holland & Barrett - their banana one tastes like iron filings.

Good to know as I was thinking of trying H&B