Keto Help, Please!

Options
gracielou7912
gracielou7912 Posts: 6 Member
edited April 2018 in Motivation and Support
Hi everyone! Keto questions.. I am 5 days in. Not seeing ANY weightloss but feeling amazing (aside from the "keto flu"). Question is- how soon after starting this did you lose fat? It's not falling off me like it is so many other people. Also have any of you increased your calories for a day as to spike ketones to fat burn? Would that help?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    @gracielou7912... I'm guessing you used an emoji from your phone part way through your spiel - mfp will cut off anything after it if you use one!

What do you need help with?
  • gracielou7912
    Options
    Going into this, SMM: 74.4, BPF: 31.1. Starting weight 199lbs - currently 187lbs. 5'8", female, 27 years of age. On day 5 of Keto. To be continued.... please help with any insight you may have and THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Are you counting calories? Being in ketosis is not going to guarantee weightloss unless you're accurately weighing (solids) and measuring (liquids) everything you put in your mouth, and tracking properly to ensure you're in a deficit...

When did you lose 12lbs? Why did you change what you were doing to achieve that?
  • _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    potassium, magnesium and sodium!!! makes all the difference. no keto flu and you will feel amazing
  • gracielou7912
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean that's exactly what happened- LOL! I just edited it in result. My question for keto people out there is is it normal to not lose weight the first couple weeks? Would spiking calories one or two times a week and then dropping them, in combination with working out, help to trigger the body to burn more fat for weight loss? Typically a "carb cycle" is helpful when losing weight on other diets, but obviously this diet is to keep carbs as low as possible as to promote ketosis. I have been following my macros religiously, they are: 75% fat, 20% protein, 5% carb. I track everything LOL.
  • _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    eat at least one avocado a day and put salt on everything
  • gracielou7912
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean I lost those pounds in the first day. I weigh everything and track my calories religiously.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean that's exactly what happened- LOL! I just edited it in result. My question for keto people out there is is it normal to not lose weight the first couple weeks? Would spiking calories one or two times a week and then dropping them, in combination with working out, help to trigger the body to burn more fat for weight loss? Typically a "carb cycle" is helpful when losing weight on other diets, but obviously this diet is to keep carbs as low as possible as to promote ketosis. I have been following my macros religiously, they are: 75% fat, 20% protein, 5% carb. I track everything LOL.

Macro percentages are meaningless. You can follow those macros and eat in a deficit, surplus or at maintenance. Calories are what really matter for weight loss - meeting your calories by eating high fat low carb is just your personal choice

Do you weigh all solids and measure all liquids and use accurate database entries?
  • gracielou7912
    Options
    @_Figgzie_ thank you! I eat avocados everyday and tons of salt.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean I lost those pounds in the first day. I weigh everything and track my calories religiously.

So in 5 days you lost 12lbs.... But that's not losing anything?!? :s
  • gracielou7912
    Options
    It was water weight, which is good. But no fat loss sense @livingleanlivingclean Do I just need to be more patient?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    It was water weight, which is good. But no fat loss sense @livingleanlivingclean Do I just need to be more patient?

How do you know? Weight loss is going to follow a downward trend every single day. Your weight is affected by many things that are out of your control. Fat loss happens due to long term consistency to your deficit....yes, be patient.
  • AriesAsunder
    AriesAsunder Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It typically takes weeks to actually visibly *see* fat loss. Fat doesn't suddenly disappear after all. It's not immediate. Like @livingleanlivingclean said, it's a slow downward trend. It's slowly broken down for energy, from the entire body, so the changes usually aren't visible to the naked eye. 5 days isn't a lot of time for fat to actually break down. I know the keto diet is supposed to kickstart fat loss a bit faster or something, but there's still only so much your liver can do at a time. Just have a bit more patience.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    It typically takes weeks to actually visibly *see* fat loss. Fat doesn't suddenly disappear after all. It's not immediate. Like @livingleanlivingclean said, it's a slow downward trend. It's slowly broken down for energy, from the entire body, so the changes usually aren't visible to the naked eye. 5 days isn't a lot of time for fat to actually break down. I know the keto diet is supposed to kickstart fat loss a bit faster or something, but there's still only so much your liver can do at a time. Just have a bit more patience.

People doing keto initially appear to lose weight faster as lowered carb intake leads to dropping water weight. Fat loss is no faster than someone eating more carbs with the same calorie deficit