Options
lisaerrico88
lisaerrico88 Posts: 8 Member
Has anyone tried them?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Yes. They smell when you first open them. Rinse them well and then DRY FRY them to get the moisture out. Many people miss this step and I can't imagine them being good without it.

I like them. I get the macaroni ones sometimes and make mac n' cheese.

I haven't gotten the traditional ones in awhile but I like them too.
  • mbauer013
    mbauer013 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I make pad thai with them, pretty good, but as stated you have to cook them to get the liquid out. First time I had pad thai soup.
  • nikkichenlife
    nikkichenlife Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I eat them once a day. Usually I cook some soup so I could just rinse the noodle and put in into the soup. Shirataki noodles are good at absorbing the taste so there would be no fishy smell left by the time my soup is ready to eat.

I also tried frying it with butter, garlic, and some minced meat and use it for snack filling (Indonesian has this “risoles” snack which is basically a deep-fried flour-battered crepe with fillings) or omelet filling.

Other than noodles, I also get the shirataki tofu, cut them into blocks, season them, and grill them like skewers.

Pretty good in my opinion and very helping in getting me some low-calorie but fulfilling meal.
  • char1iej
    char1iej Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My wife and I tried them a few nights ago. IF you discard the water, ignore the initial smell and then rinse or cook them a bit to remove all the "fishy water", the soak up the flavor of whatever you cook with them quite well. We went back and bought 5 more packages to enjoy different shapes with other dishes.
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I LOVE them. I make all kinds of different stir fry’s with them. They’re definitely an acquired taste though. The texture can be a little off putting when you first eat them. I’m not a fan of the shirataki noodles made with just plain konjac yam flour. I like the ones made with tofu and chick pea flour. They have more bite and substance. The brand I’ve been using taste very close to traditional flour noodles. I’m OBSESSED.
  • atlchell30
    atlchell30 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I reside in Atlanta area and cant find them ANYWHERE. Is ordering from online the only way to gain access to these noodles?
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I use them in place of spaghetti sometimes.
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    atlchell30 wrote: »
    I reside in Atlanta area and cant find them ANYWHERE. Is ordering from online the only way to gain access to these noodles?

Really? Do you guys have a Whole Foods out there? @atlchell30 My grocery store just recently started selling them, but I used to buy them in bulk on amazon.

• yoliyoda
    yoliyoda Posts: 58 Member
    Options

@atlchell30
    Nam Dae Mun and the H-Mart Stores, DeKalb Farmers Market, and the Buford Highway Farmers Market have them. I've surpringly seen them at some Publix and Wal-Mart.
  • MushroomLadyJR
    MushroomLadyJR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I didn't enjoy them. Though it's worth noting that the pasta or noodles are the stars of the show to me, and so these low calorie replacements don't work for me.

My partner enjoyed it more than I did, but his only gripe was the price compared to egg or rice noodles.
  • atlchell30
    Options

Really? Do you guys have a Whole Foods out there? @atlchell30 My grocery store just recently started selling them, but I used to buy them in bulk on amazon.

I've tried whole foods...no luck
  • atlchell30
    Options
    yoliyoda wrote: »

@atlchell30
    Nam Dae Mun and the H-Mart Stores, DeKalb Farmers Market, and the Buford Highway Farmers Market have them. I've surpringly seen them at some Publix and Wal-Mart.

Thaaank you! Will definitely try the farmers market. Ive tried Nam Dae Mun in Morrow area but no luck...which one did you go to? [No luck at multiple Publix, Wal-Marts nor Kroger]
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

I've tried whole foods...no luck

Did you look in the "vegan" section?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

You probably have Publix in Atlanta, yes? They carry Pasta Zero brand and it has no smell! Harris Teeter carries them too but not sure if Teeter is in GA.

Located in the produce department in the cooled cases with tofu and vegan products.
  • Aerocrazd
    Aerocrazd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I live just south of Atlanta and they have them at Kroger in the vegan dairy case. The tofu noodles are the only ones I can find. Let us know when you find them.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    They were okay to me, but not enough to buy again (pretty expensive here compared to regular pasta). You may like them if you don't go in expecting pasta or egg noodles. They're something entirely different that just happens to look like pasta. Chewier than pasta and don't go well with tomato sauces, in my opinion.
  • yoliyoda
    yoliyoda Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    @atlchell30 I actually just saw them yesterday at the Kroger in Lake City on Jonesboro Rd. They were with the vegan meats next to the kombuchas. I've also seen them at the Publix in Morrow. They were located with the vegan meats next to the cold organic foods. It's been awhile since I've gone to Nam Dae Mun-I think they were with the kimchi, Korean radishes, and the other refrigerated noodles. The next time I go I'll make a note of it and let you know.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    after having them a few times, I decided I don't like them. It takes a few times of eating something for me to decide
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I tried them. They are the grossest food I have ever tried. Blech... Not worth it.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

I'm in atlanta too, and my local publix usually carries them and my whole foods carries them as well.