Weight lifting for weight loss when you have a LOT to lose

Options
I have 100 lbs to lose and I'd like to start lifting some weights but I have NO IDEA where to start. I've got 3 kids so it has to be something I can do at home. I'd also like to put out as little money as possible (see above: 3 *expensive* kids) for weights and I'm suuuper out of shape. Everything I read tells me something different: is it small weight lotta reps or big weight few reps?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I have 100 lbs to lose and I'd like to start lifting some weights but I have NO IDEA where to start. I've got 3 kids so it has to be something I can do at home. I'd also like to put out as little money as possible (see above: 3 *expensive* kids) for weights and I'm suuuper out of shape. Everything I read tells me something different: is it small weight lotta reps or big weight few reps?

It's 80-95% diet.

As far as tool and programming, it depends on what you want to do.

That being said. "heavy" or big weight is generally gauged as a percentage of BW and light weight should still be heavy enough to cause adaptation. Unless your program is doing extreme isolation of small movements and muscle groups or you have a medical condition or limitation, the weight shouldn't be lighter than a soup can or jug of milk.

That being said, start where you're at. You have kids, so you can Deadlift or squat at least the weight of the largest child that you can pick up from the ground, so work from there.
  • MVFORLYFE
    MVFORLYFE Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You should start with a novice program that focus on progressive overload, it will make you strong and gain muscle (and also speed up your fat loss). I would recommend something like this - https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Have you been doing calisthenics? Body weight exercises like squats, push ups, pull ups, dips, lunges, leg raises, planks, crunches, sit ups? All of those can be done without purchasing equipment and can be modified to start.
    You can also use items around the house for some basic movements. Here are a few things I have seen done, milk jug biceps curls or triceps extension- you can adjust the weight by adjusting amount or contents(add some stones to an old one); sofa deadlifts- pick up one end of a sofa or couch; child lifts- bench press/overhead press, leg press (airplane), squat while holding them (lunges work too), biceps curl pickups; leg extension (they sit on floor, you put your feet in their arm pits or they sit on your feet), deadlift pickups. One of my favorites lay on the bed and move the kid from one side of you to the other, empty tap back to starting point, retrieve the kid back to starting point, repeat until you get tired, bored or the kid gets tired, bored or falls asleep. My kids loved this and even asked for it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

You don't really lift weights for weight loss, you lift weights to preserve your muscle as you lose weight, and so you look even better when you reach goal weight :smile:

Check out this thread, there are several body weight programs listed that you can start with, good luck and have fun! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit not lifting weights.
    If you'd like to begin looking at programs maybe start with nrolfw
  • Bunniculette
    Bunniculette Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the insight and ideas!!
  • NayaSaidSo
    NayaSaidSo Posts: 157 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Check out fitnessblender.com
    100% at home workouts but you will need to purchase dumbbells. Videos are 100% free or you can purchase a program for 20ish dollars. They have a variety of programs to choose from, some even 30 mins or less. and Kelli and Daniel are super down to earth.

Edit- You absolutely can lose fat by strength training. Muscle is a much higher metabolic demand than fat. Meaning your body will burn fat for energy to build and maintain all that muscle! But you also need a balanced diet and some cardio.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I started with resistance tubes and bands. Mostly because I was walking past a fitness store, went in on impulse because I was thinking of starting strength training and I was 40 minutes from home. Tubes and bands weigh a couple of pounds. Dumbbells weigh... more.

A couple of months later, I bought a book on strength training that used mainly dumbbells and I started with those. Like @kimny72 says, weight lifting is for muscle retention (and, eventually it can be for muscle growth), but you may notice other pleasant side effects. Personally:
    • Decrease in PMS and much easier TOM
    • I just came back from visiting my parents. Both are in their 70s. I discovered that I could single-handedly carry a 20-year-old TV from the garage to the top of the driveway, uphill, without struggling.
    • Had surgery 6 months ago and impressed the nurse in the recovery room when I was able to sit up effortlessly afterwards. He complimented me on my trunk muscles. Seriously.
    • Yeah... so it seems I've got deltoids. And I can see them.

• jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Insanity for the last 2 months. No weights required I have lost 21lbs and muscles are firming up. My biceps and quads have definition that I haven't seen in years. It is amazing to see the change in my body. I just started lifting at the gym 2 weeks ago so I'm excited to see more changes over time.
  • annkimr
    annkimr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I may post more later, but I just typed a large amount and it got deleted

Anyway, I'm going to recommend kettlebells, and I'm recommending Lauren Brooks.

She has videos and written plans, and you can start with 1 bell ( I recommend Ader. Do Not buy a bell from the box stores!)

Her plans are excellent

Good luck.