LEG PRESS light or heavy?

Options
zakbailey7
zakbailey7 Posts: 28 Member
As today (Wednesday) seems to be leg day for most lol I thought I'd bring up the subject of light or heavy leg press... For me personally my body responds better on leg press when I train light. So for example I'll do 3-6 sets (depending on other exercises that day) of a fairly light Weight and do as many as I can to failure and what this actually does is bring the ENTIRE leg into operation forcing every muscle to kick in and start working especially the carves. It does this because once you get past so many reps your quads start fatiguing and the whole leg starts working and forcing all muscle to support the rest getting better results... Any other similar experiences?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    IS your goal strength/power or Bulk/hypertrophy?

It might help folks figure out whether or how useful your advice is.
  • zakbailey7
    Options
    IS your goal strength/power or Bulk/hypertrophy?

It might help folks figure out whether or how useful your advice is.

For size and muscle definition otherwise I'd just go heavy if was strength training like I used to. But as I said I have noticed a better response going lighter and doing as many reps as possible, working my whole leg....
  • ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I mix it up with leg presses. I tend to do them after squats or deadlifts. Some days I'll go lighter for reps, other days I'll go heavy, still for higher reps (8-10). Never really leg press for a 1rep max.
  • zakbailey7
    Options
    ricka1962 wrote: »
    I mix it up with leg presses. I tend to do them after squats or deadlifts. Some days I'll go lighter for reps, other days I'll go heavy, still for higher reps (8-10). Never really leg press for a 1rep max.

OK, similar to myself really. I've just noticed legs are fuller and calves are getting bigger since going light for reps...
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I would consider leg press and assistance lift to squats. I don’t really go all that heavy for assistance lifts. Last time I ran them I went 5sets of 10reps with about 1 or 2 reps left in tank.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Both serve a purpose.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    I would consider leg press and assistance lift to squats. I don’t really go all that heavy for assistance lifts. Last time I ran them I went 5sets of 10reps with about 1 or 2 reps left in tank.

Same here. I don't even use them very often for assistance work since I respond better to other things.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    zakbailey7 wrote: »

OK, similar to myself really. I've just noticed legs are fuller and calves are getting bigger since going light for reps...

I do squats and deadlifts. I've had to buy new pairs of jeans 2x in the last 12 months. That's with bf% staying roughly the same but having gained about 7lbs. Obviously my bf% has gone up a bit, but ya.

Low weights for both. The most reps I've done for either in months has been 9. I prefer major compound movements couple with high intensity lifting.

• jessef593
    Options
    MVFORLYFE wrote: »

That's likely because you're getting a bigger pump due to the higher number of reps. Chasing the pump does nothing for actual strength and muscle, however. Number of reps is redundant, you should be focusing on progressive overload. If you're serious about lifting, you should drop the leg press and start squatting and deadlifting.

I couldn't disagree more lol and I prefer leg press over squats tbh and I do dead lifts. I usually train quite heavy but just been noticing good results going light on the leg press for more reps. I hear what your saying about the pump and yes the pump is good but doing more reps until complete muscle exhaustion has had a big impact on my calves as well as quads....

You could also just focus on your calves.

How are you determining this muscle growth that you're referring to?

What are you comparing your current progress to compared to in the past?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Well, not sure why you got the Woo's.

Your method is almost exactly the method used in study review by Schoenfeld and detailed by MacDonald.
    For the same reasons almost.

https://bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/effects-of-low-versus-high-load-resistance-training-research-review.html/

• jessef593
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Well, not sure why you got the Woo's.

Your method is almost exactly the method used in study review by Schoenfeld and detailed by MacDonald.
    For the same reasons almost.

https://bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/effects-of-low-versus-high-load-resistance-training-research-review.html/

I skimmed that study as well. I just find it interesting that every one of his posts just seems so rehearsed.

I think that the woos are due to many of his posts sounding very black and white.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »

I also wouldn't go to failure on accessory lifts.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I do a moderate weight leg press at the end of my deadlift day. Honestly, it takes longer to load the plates than it does to do 3x10-15 at 630 lbs.
  • jessef593
    Options
    So does the OP not have a method of tracking his muscular growth or..
  • ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    ^^ I think the OP was just sharing and inquiring what others do. Don't think he was advocating a right/wrong approach or anything else for that matter.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    ^^ I think the OP was just sharing and inquiring what others do. Don't think he was advocating a right/wrong approach or anything else for that matter.

I agree, there doesn't seem to be any judgment just an inquiry into what others do.
  • jessef593
    Options

If you read further up the OP was disregarding people's experiences and their opinions. Especially when they stated they believed squats were the superior movemrnt. So I simple was curious as to how he was determining his muscular hypertrophy. From what it seems he did not have a means for determining it