Intermittent fasting

Options

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    IF and daily fasting or eating windows are a great tool, but the bottom line is the tool is to manage eating overall calories and macros in a 24 hour window and extending that out. Then after reaching your goal managing your energy intake like a checkbook. People who don’t do IF or DF (is that a thing?, it should be because people always get it confused with IF). People who don’t do IF can achieve the same results when they manage their energy intake with other tools. Not against IF at all, but every day does not have to be the same, and every person can use any tool including IF

Anyway, great work with the calorie deficit over time that really got you the results. :)
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Whats IF ? :) well done by the way

There’s a group here on MFP devoted to intermittent fasting.
  • ElGoli
    ElGoli Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Whats IF ? :) well done by the way

There’s a group here on MFP devoted to intermittent fasting.

Can you tell us what is the group named?
    Thank you,
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    sbantonio wrote: »
    Intermittent fasting really makes a difference!
    9rmh6y719b39.png

Awesome!
  • charityanne2
    charityanne2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What does 16:8 & 5:2 mean? Sorry this is new to me...
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What does 16:8 & 5:2 mean? Sorry this is new to me...

16:8 - fasting for 16 hours a day and eating within an 8-hour window only, such as 12-8 PM. You might also see people who do 14:10, 18:6, etc.
    5:2 - eating 500-600 calories on two non-consecutive days out of the week and eating at maintenance on the other five days. This is a way for people to create a calorie deficit but not want to eat low every day.
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I do it but I don’t know if it’s doing anything for me.
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I noticed that eating breakfast makes me hungry all day. I've read the experts say to eat breakfast because it's the most important meal of the day and it jump starts the metabolism?? But it just makes me hungry, no matter if I eat protein and/or carbs!! I just recently started intermittent fasting, and I love the 16:8 eating schedule. I hold off on eating my first meal until noon or 1:00 pm, and just drink water and coffee. I don't have any issues getting hungry until then when I don't eat breakfast. I only eat lunch and dinner and a snack or two, and get to eat more calories for each meal and seem to fill up better with the larger calorie allotment. Usually I end up with extra calories to use at night for snacking and that works better for me. I am close to my goal weight. I plateaued for a couple months, and maybe it's just a coincidence, but when I started IF my weight loss started back up again.

I am the same way. If I eat breakfast I am hungry all day. I've lost 51lbs (since I started tracking) and I love it!
  • Bann554
    Bann554 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I did IF last year and lost 25 pounds. I just started back last week. I want to lose 20 more. I do 16 hours of fasting and 8 hr eating window. I eat breakfast at 12, lunch around 3 and dinner around 7:30. Last years go round made a hugh impact on my health. I didn't gain, but was able to maintain the weight loss, and I stopped IF. So now it's time to begin again. I don't crave or graze. If I want to eat something in between I'll have some pecans or almond milk. Sometimes an orange. I just try to watch what I eat. I also do walking aerobics at home and take a yoga class.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Congrats you look incredible!

I love IF because I am genuinely not hungry until around 2pm, so I have a small meal then and then eat the rest 10pm-1am. I didn't do it for weight loss, my body just prefers eating that way. I hate snacking throughout the day and having to stop and make time to eat. It is easier to get up and get a ton of stuff done and then finally come home and eat the rest of the night lol. Food also tastes 10x better when you are extra hungry for it.
  • marciabrit
    marciabrit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can IF 16:8 be done 7:30-3:30? I am always hungry for breakfast but rarely hungry for dinner. I just force myself to eat something for dinner.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I have always heard you can "fast" which ever hours work best for you- so yeah you can eat breakfast and fast at night if that is best for you.
  • AzaleaGirl
    AzaleaGirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great transformation OP!! I never heard of IF before reading this post and I'm wondering if I've been doing IF and didn't even realize it. I eat in the morning between 7 am and 8 am, then I don't eat again until my lunch between 12 pm and 2 pm. That's all I'll eat during the day until the next morning. Is that considered IF?

yes you are doing IF 17-18 hrs a day fast :smile:
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    wait, there are pictures of me before I got my tattoos....does that mean its not really me ?
    which pictures are me and which are somebody else?

OP, you look great!!
  • BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Wow -- GREAT job!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!